Washington Post ranks OPACY the no. 3 stadium in MLB

Frobby

I drove up to PNC park last month for a game, and was pretty impressed with that park. I love Camden Yards, I've sat all over the place at the park and would have a hard time to choose which is better between the Yard and PNC. Like everyone says PNC is a smaller stadium and it does seem like every seat is close to the field. I wouldn't say its cramped, I sat behind the home teams dugout for I could have a perfect view of the skyline across the water. I loved walking across the bridge to get to the game. 

Worst stadium I've been to was when they converted Mile High Stadium for the Rockies in the early 90's

I've been to Memorial Stadium, Camden Yards, PNC, Mile High Stadium (when the Rockies first played there), Coors Field, Nats Park, RFK, and Rogers Center when it was the Sky zone. I will be visiting Fenway in 2 weeks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Never been to ST.  Been to PNC a lot.  If you haven't been you should go.  Better view of the city (thanks to the hotel in Baltimore), better food, good surroundings and vibe.

I think these three will continue to circulate for a long time.  Three real gems.

I hate that they built that hotel, completely ruined the view of the city.

34 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I can live with San Fran, but PNC is not better. It's a much more cramped version of OPACY. It's almost uncomfortably tight in the concourse area. 

Yea that is my biggest complaint about PNC. The concession area was laid out terribly. I get what they were trying to do, having access to both front and back of the concession stands....but most people don't realize you can walk around the back of them so everyone congregates on the front, which is too close to the walking area.

Other than that the seating and the view at PNC is top notch.

But I still rank OPACY #1!! LOL

I live in the DFW area. Not sure why Globe Life park is rated below some of those other stadiums. It gets hot here in summer, yes, and probably should have a retractable roof. But outside of that it's a great place to watch a game. Same architects that built OPACY so it shares similar characteristics and feel. 

Coors Field is a terrific place to catch a game. Safeco is also super cool. I thought Chase Field should be rated a bit higher too. 

And I've never been but why is Dodger Stadiim ranked so high? Nostalgic reasons? It comes off to me on TV as old and not too special, other than the view beyond the outfield fence. 

5 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Never been to ST.  Been to PNC a lot.  If you haven't been you should go.  Better view of the city (thanks to the hotel in Baltimore), better food, good surroundings and vibe.

I think these three will continue to circulate for a long time.  Three real gems.

Pittsburgh's PNC is totally gorgeous. I went the year it opened and it almost looked like a Mr. Rogers Neighbohood model of a ballpark, especially the out of town scoreboard. Was slightly unnerving maybe due to the freshly painted look. But still just some fabulous views. First ballpark I'd ever seen with an open concourse. Most, if not all built since have them now, of course. 

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The Rays' problem is that there's no good place to move that won't infringe another team's territorial rights. (Las Vegas has a bunch of problems as a baseball city, compounded by its recent NHL and imminent NFL franchises, and there are a lot of questions about Montreal.) Other teams face a similar problem in trying to hold up their home cities for public stadium support.  

I've been concerned about a Rays relocation for years. Any move is likely to strengthen the franchise and could make Baltimore the weakest market, by far, in the division.

WNY. We could support a MLB team and I don't think it would infringe on Toronto or Cleveland.

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

And I've never been but why is Dodger Stadiim ranked so high? Nostalgic reasons? It comes off to me on TV as old and not too special, other than the view beyond the outfield fence. 

It is old, for sure, but that setting is really beautiful.    I haven't been there for 35 years, so I don't know if they've done anything to update the features, but when I went I would have put it right at the top.

2 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

WNY. We could support a MLB team and I don't think it would infringe on Toronto or Cleveland.

Interesting. Buffalo used to show up on lists for possible expansion/relocation, but I haven't seen it mentioned for a long time. I'm guessing there's a sense that the region is in economic decline, without a lot of firms and wealthy individuals who would buy high-priced season tickets, and that its population is not going to grow.  

8 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

PNC also has an usher who will gladly tell you about watching Babe Ruth's last (next to last?) professional game.  (Played in Pitt)

He watched the Babe's last game?  The Babe's 6th-to-last game was his three homer game in Pittsburgh where one of the homers apparently cleared the roof at Forbes Field.  But that was 1935.  I suppose he could have been five years old then and still remembers it, that would make him about 87 now.  He clearly wasn't an usher back then, not unless he's still working at 102 or something.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

He watched the Babe's last game?  The Babe's 6th-to-last game was his three homer game in Pittsburgh where one of the homers apparently cleared the roof at Forbes Field.  But that was 1935.  I suppose he could have been five years old then and still remembers it, that would make him about 87 now.  He clearly wasn't an usher back then, not unless he's still working at 102 or something.

Child labor laws were not as much of a thing back then.  ;)

Camden Yards is still at the top.  San Fran park is very nice.  PNC park is third in my view.  Worst park experience was Trop but pretty close for me was Marlins park where they just had the All Star game.  It seemed like watching a game in an annoying indoor Chuck E. Cheese. 

17 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Interesting. Buffalo used to show up on lists for possible expansion/relocation, but I haven't seen it mentioned for a long time. I'm guessing there's a sense that the region is in economic decline, without a lot of firms and wealthy individuals who would buy high-priced season tickets, and that its population is not going to grow.  

Buffalo could support a MLB team if they fundamentally restructured the game.  Like dividing up all the larger markets with other teams, and giving it about 25 years to mature.  But right now there's no way.  In Nielsen market size Buffalo is on par with Norfolk or Scranton, around 50th place.  The current smallest market with a team is Cincinnati, at 36th place.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It is old, for sure, but that setting is really beautiful.    I haven't been there for 35 years, so I don't know if they've done anything to update the features, but when I went I would have put it right at the top.

Dodger stadium is magnificent. 

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Buffalo could support a MLB team if they fundamentally restructured the game.  Like dividing up all the larger markets with other teams, and giving it about 25 years to mature.  But right now there's no way.  In Nielsen market size Buffalo is on par with Norfolk or Scranton, around 50th place.  The current smallest market with a team is Cincinnati, at 36th place.

Baltimore can't even support a team. No way Buffalo does. 

Neither Florida city supports its team. 

It's time to put a team back in Brooklyn and one in Cambridge. 

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 99 and still working the area behind home plate.  Helluva dude.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2017/04/26/phil-coyne-usher-bill-mazeroski-home-run-pittsburgh-pirates-frank-coonelly/stories/201704270103

Archived