TT: The only question left for Angelos

Tony-OH

Just now, ChuckS said:

Has Britton closed a game since he's been back?

We've won a grand total of three games since he came back.

One was by a score of 11-4... and yes, Britton pitched the 9th.

Another was 5-1, and Britton had thrown 22 pitches the day before and it was a day game after a night game.

And tonight, he had thrown 18 pitches the day before.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Rich Mac said:

Your memory must suck... 

If the moon, the sun and the stars hadn't aligned in some perfect feng shui moment for the Royals, Buck would likely have won the world series for us. There wasn't a manager on this planet that would have stopped that moment from happening for them.

oslead.0.gif

Yep, but that's where it ended.

DD came in and made the promise to build the farm. That is the only way to compete long term within our division.  He has completely failed. I don't want him running anything other then someone else's team. Combined with the fact that he has lost almost every trade he has attempted, it isn't a even debatable imho.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

That's not right though. The new GM should have the right to hire the manager he wants. IMO. What if the new  GM and Buck don't get a long with each other? That would or could hurt the team. 

The GM should have a say in whether the manager is extended, but I don't see Buck getting fired while still under contract. 

Dan O'Dowd will be the next GM of the Orioles.  He started with the Orioles many years ago and did a very nice job with the Rockies for a number of years and now is on the mlb network and does a great job.  He knows the players obviously and talks about them on mlb.  He is a very polished type guy that is respected around baseball.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

The GM should have a say in whether the manager is extended, but I don't see Buck getting fired while still under contract. 

There is much more of a chance of Buck becoming President of Baseball Operations and then hiring a current assistant GM from another team to become the GM. 

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably not. Nor do I think DD will be canned before his contract is up. Don't think Angelos will do that. 

21 hours ago, wildcard said:

1) We don't know that Dan is going anywhere.  He is under contract next year.

2) Buck was already managing the O's when Dan was hire.  So there is a history of the O's hiring the GM and telling him/her that they have to work with Buck.

3) I will bet if they do change GMs that Buck has more experience then anyone they hire.

Yes sir! Buck has made numerous not-so-veiled references over the years to not managing much past 2018 when his current contract ends. The current situation between Buck and Dan is just not good. They are clearly not on the same page in many personnel issues, and I don't see that improving.

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Yes sir! Buck has made numerous not-so-veiled references over the years to not managing much past 2018 when his current contract ends. The current situation between Buck and Dan is just not good. They are clearly not on the same page in many personnel issues, and I don't see that improving.

I don't remember those references at all.

I remember on several occasions he has said or implied that Baltimore would be his last managing job.

But i have ZERO recollection of him ever saying he would likely not manage after 2018.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I don't remember those references at all.

I remember on several occasions he has said or implied that Baltimore would be his last managing job.

But i have ZERO recollection of him ever saying he would likely not manage after 2018.

Over the past few years, he has made references to 'being on the ranch' after this contract concludes. The question came up a few times a few years ago when he was named manager of the year for the third time. I remember one, in particular. I believe it was Gary Thorne who asked Buck is he would win the MOY award again in 2024 since he has won it every ten years, something like that. Anyway, I have heard it on numerous occasions.

For the record, I believe we need a complete rebuild at this point.  Nice run, made the playoffs twice (I don't count losing as the 2nd WC team an actual playoff experience), but we have a terrible farm system, one of the worst starting pitching rotations in the last 30 years, and an aging core that is middling with a downward trajectory.  BOS & MFY look like they are on an upswing.. I sincerely believe there is 0.0001% of resigning Manny before free agency (the scientist in me has to concede that anything is potentially possible).  Boras is taking his prized pig to market.  If that's the case, you have to trade him.. you have to. 

DD has some strong points. He is good at juggling the AAAA shuddle, making waiver moves, signing scrapheap support.  He appears to be terrible at making deadline trades.  Last year I declared on here that he should be forbidden from ever making a deadline trade.. I've hated practically every one of them.  He's also had 5 years to advance our farm system further to the bottom.  I would argue that he's not the type of GM for our rebuild.. particularly if he's not resigning.. I don't believe that for a few years now he has the long term interest of the club at heart.  Frustratingly, a few weeks before the deadline is not at all the time to cut bait with a GM with the intent on making moves this season.

23 hours ago, wildcard said:

"Both Buck and Dan have helped bring winning baseball back to Baltimore, but with a payroll that has swelled to around $160,000,000, a last place team, and a farm system ranked near the bottom by every national publication, it’s clear their run should be coming to an end."

Sounded like you were saying that both Buck and Dan's time with the O's should be coming to an end.  if that is not what you meant, what did you mean?

Their run together, which could mean Dan goes and Buck stays or a new GM comes in and brings in his own guy. 

On 7/17/2017 at 2:23 PM, TonySoprano said:

Recently, I asked Weams who would want to take Dan's place?  He correctly noted that there are 30 assistants in baseball who would like a promotion.  Logically, that makes sense, but I don't remember a swarm of applications from that small cadre of professionals when we had the last opening and went with a man who had been out of the game for nine years.  Have things changed that much to get the phone ringing off the hook in the law offices of Peter G. Angelos?  I agree with Tony's take that Brady is a leading candidate, at least, I assume, from Angelos' perspective.  A lot of frustrated people want to kick Dan to the curb, but I'm open to hearing specific names who you'd like to see take his place.  "Anyone but Dan" is not an answer.

Brady the guy who caused our pitching coach and bullpen coach to quit.  Brady who got us to sign guys like Trumbo and Chris Davis?  DD is letting everyone know it is Angelos who makes him trade international signing bonuses and he is the one probably telling DD to trade draft picks as well.  DD is also letting everyone know he can't trade certain players because of ownership.  I doubt it will be easy to find anyone competent to replace DD.

DD was out of baseball for 10 years and tried to leave the organization first change he got.  Buck blew the one game playoff last year and would have been fired by other organizations.  As long as Angelos is at the helm it will be hard to get someone to come here as GM who has the credentials to succeed. 

Archived