Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He looked better.

He didn't look like the guy that gave up four earned runs last year.

It was his first save appearence in forever. Britton had a historic year last year. I think its to be expected he isnt pitching at that level, and I honestly doubt most of these teams are expecting that level of dominance from him again as that type of year just doesn't happen...like ever.

If he is an elite RP that is one of the best closers in the game that they think can still work out of the 8th inning (which he obviously could) and be great then we should get what we want.

The way it sounded today, Britton sure looks like he knows hes likely gone. Don't hear too many players speak the way he did if he thought he'd be sticking around.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

It was his first save appearence in forever. Britton had a historic year last year. I think its to be expected he isnt pitching at that level, and I honestly doubt most of these teams are expecting that level of dominance from him again as that type of year just doesn't happen...like ever.

If he is an elite RP that is one of the best closers in the game that they think can still work out of the 8th inning (which he obviously could) and be great then we should get what we want.

The way it sounded today, Britton sure looks like he knows hes likely gone. Don't hear too many players speak the way he did if he thought he'd be sticking around.

It was asked if he looked like his old self.

I don't think he looked like last year's version.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It was asked if he looked like his old self.

I don't think he looked like last year's version.

Well no, but it's unlikely he ever has a season that dominant again. But again, I don't think any of these teams trying to get him is expecting a historic season like that again from him. I highly doubt that is what the poster meant but I guess if he did then no, he does not. lol.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The actuaries base the opening numbers based on where they expect the betting to be.

And if they are right and get an equal amount of betting on each team, then they are guaranteed to make money.

So they don't care the "true chance" of how well a team is going to do.   Their skill lies in anticipating how the betting public will wager.

Exactly.  The oddsmakers handicap betting.  They don't care who wins the games.

The Cubs were already being wagered on very heavily prior to the Chapman trade.  Acquiring Chapman, or anyone else for that matter, wasn't going to change the odds that dramatically in view of how much was already being wagered on the team to win.

Kershaw re-injured his back this afternoon. Time to talk about the Orioles vaunted starting rotation? :D 

If they now put a higher priority on a righty SP, it may take them out of the elite lefty conversation. They may well settle for a lighter bullpen arm. 

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

The actuaries base the opening numbers based on where they expect the betting to be.

And if they are right and get an equal amount of betting on each team, then they are guaranteed to make money.

So they don't care the "true chance" of how well a team is going to do.   Their skill lies in anticipating how the betting public will wager.

You explained that so well. 

Archived