Can the O's reload for 2018 if they sell?

Hallas

24 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

From Britton and Brach deals they need two mlb ready starters and either a corner outfielder or an infielder

Can someone tell me why we are going to get two MLB starters for Brach and Britton when the White Sox just traded two very good relievers and Frazier and only got back a guy who is hitting .290 in A ball

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We're not going for those kinds of upgrades.    Not with Peter around.   

I suspect you are correct, unless prices drop unexpectedly. So how would you retool the rotation? No matter how you look at it, we'll probably start 2018 either hoping for mediocre pitchers to improve, or relying on some unproven youngsters. Or both. 

2 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

Can someone tell me why we are going to get two MLB starters for Brach and Britton when the White Sox just traded two very good relievers and Frazier and only got back a guy who is hitting .290 in A ball

Did you not read the part about Britton being Mariano Rivera?

34 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's awfully tough to see us having a good starting rotation next year.

Wouldn't it be real hard to have a rotation worse than this year's?  lol.  That's the hope.  

Last year we ran off Wilson and Wright.  Wilson's ERA of 5.27 would be the 2nd best of the SP's.  Wright's ERA of 5.79 would be the 3rd best.  

1 minute ago, Rojo13 said:

Since 2014 

David Robertson: 3.9 rWAR 

Zach Britton: 9.9 rWAR

Brad Brach: 6.5 rWAR 

As relievers both are way more valuable and belong in a group of elite relievers like Miller and Chapman. Not to mention that Frazier is an okay player but nothing more. Not sure why everyone at ESPN is making it out like he's the savior of the yankee franchise. 

17 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Since 2014 

David Robertson: 3.9 rWAR 

Zach Britton: 9.9 rWAR

Brad Brach: 6.5 rWAR 

As relievers both are way more valuable and belong in a group of elite relievers like Miller and Chapman. Not to mention that Frazier is an okay player but nothing more. Not sure why everyone at ESPN is making it out like he's the savior of the yankee franchise. 

Because it's ESPN and their job is to hype the Yankees and Red Sox no matter what

36 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

I wont even discuss this than to say the Orioles will get two top 100 prospects for Britton and Brach. Plus about 3-4 other guys.

They could send Britton to the Dodgers and get Buehler, White, May/Rhame/Sopko/Sheffield and Heredia. (One top 100 and three other guys.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Tillman will be resigned if he pitches well in the 2nd half.  Bundy and Gausman give the O's the top three.  I think Hardy come back on a smaller one year contract.  Tejada maybe the UIF that can play SS.   Hays in right or center.  

Does Britton extend this off season?  He is a Peter favorite.  I would wait until he is a free agent.  He is extends by the miccli of the off season or he is trade.  Same with Manny.   Peter can sign who ever he wants.  Jimenez, Miley, Kim, Flaherty, Nuno and half of Hardy salary adds up to 35m.

Corn is right about too many left fielders.  Stwart, Moutcastle and Sisco could be vulnerable.

Is it possible to the O's to reload for 2018?.  Of course it is.

Britton needs to be traded at the deadline. IMO 

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

It sounds like DD wants to do a partial sell aimed at a reload for 2018.  Here's who we have:

• 1B Davis
  • 2B Schoop
  • SS/3B Machado/???
  • 3B/SS Machado/???
  • LF Mancini
  • CF Jones
  • RF Mullins/Hays
  • DH Trumbo
  • SP1 Bundy
  • SP2 Gausman
  • SP3 
  • SP4
  • SP5
  • CL Givens
  • Pen O'day, Hart, Bleier, Asher, Crichton, Castro
  • Bench Cisco, Flaherty, Hays/Mullins, Santader

This means we'd trade O'Day, Smith, and Britton.  We can probably fill 1, maybe 2 gaps in 2018 with that collection.  Is that enough?  We've got 4 big holes: SS/3B, CF/RF, and 2 starters.  If DD sticks around he can probably pick up the relief arms and a few serviceable AAAA 5th starters.

Of course the situation gets a lot worse in 2019 if Machado leaves.

If we trade Britton, Brach, Castillo, Smith and Kim, this is what the team looks like (I know the last three are FA anyway). This does not include anyone we get back in a trade, because we have no idea who that is.

Obviously, who is pitching, but we have like 60 million to spend. I would go get one 20-25 million dollar pitcher, maybe Darvish for me. I would then consider a Tillman resign, maybe 7 million for one year to build up his market. Fifth guy would be to see what kind of price you could get on a Sabathia, Helickson, Lynn type of pitcher-maybe 10 million. That's 42 out of 60. Obviously we need a SS/3B. Maybe Moustakas for 10ish or so. I'm good with that team.   

• 1B Davis
  • 2B Schoop
  • SS Machado
  • 3B Moustakas
  • LF Mancini
  • CF Jones
  • RF Mullins/Hays
  • DH Trumbo
  • SP1 Bundy
  • SP2 Gausman
  • SP3 Darvish
  • SP4 Tillman
  • SP5 Lynn
  • CL Givens
  • Pen O'day, Hart, Bleier, Asher, Crichton, Castro
  • Bench Cisco, Flaherty, Hays/Mullins, Santader

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Who's the last starting pitching acquisition that Duquette made that has worked out in a meaningful way for the O's?

Miley is most likely gone after this season, Ubaldo gone and so is Tillman.

You need at least 3 decent starters for next season.

And if they sell their best bullpen arms...you'll have holes there as well.

So, I'm going to say: no. 

Chen and Gonzalez. Norris for a year.

Archived