The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

I am glad for Nick, and slightly impressed, that he made the Braves confound prospect hounds by basically using Pache as a momentary defensive replacement and not an heir apparent.

He only needs to outperform the kids (and his fellow vets) for one more month to earn another try at a basket of October PA's, and hopefully One Shining Moment to make his Hall of the Very Good debate juicier someday. 

It stank seeing Carlos Martinez (with Yadi help) beat him some last fall; Martinez doesn't beat playoff caliber opposition much anymore.

Nick tied Edd Roush at 2,376 tonight, in 130th place all time.   In his next 10 hits he can pass or equal Chili Davis (2,380), Enos Slaughter (2,383) and Ryne Sandberg (2,386).    After that he hits a big gap, and may not pass anyone else this year.    

Nick also hit his 509th double and can pass Rickey Henderson (510), Jimmy Rollins (511) and Mark Grace (511) in his next few two-baggers.    He’s been racking up doubles at a dizzying pace, 10 in 18 games played.     

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nick tied Edd Roush at 2,376 tonight, in 130th place all-time. In his next 10 hits he can pass or equal Chili Davis (2,380), Enos Slaughter (2,383), and Ryne Sandberg (2,386.) After that he hits a big gap, and may not pass anyone else this year.    

Nick also hit his 509th double and can pass Rickey Henderson (510), Jimmy Rollins (511), and Mark Grace (511) in his next few two-baggers. Hes been racking up doubles at a dizzying pace, 10 in 18 games played.     

o

Amazon.com: Red Legs and Black Sox: Edd Roush and the Untold Story of the  1919 World Series (9781578602292): Dellinger Ph.D., Susan: Books

o

• 5 weeks later...

On the final day of the regular season, Nick got two hits to pass Ryne Sandberg for 127th place on the all time hit list at 2,388.    He also finished tied for 54th place in doubles with 514.    

It wasn’t a great season for Nick (.254/.312/.392) and it will be interesting to see if he gets picked up for 2021.    It won’t shock me if this was his swan song, though I hope not.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

On the final day of the regular season, Nick got two hits to pass Ryne Sandberg for 127th place on the all time hit list at 2,388.    He also finished tied for 54th place in doubles with 514.    

It wasn’t a great season for Nick (.254/.312/.392) and it will be interesting to see if he gets picked up for 2021.    It won’t shock me if this was his swan song, though I hope not.  

We'll sometimes talk about how a rookie will get 56 plate appearances and hit .188 and that kind of dooms him, or at least forces him back to the minors for a long time.  Even though it was mostly noise and bad luck. 

I'm sure that happens on the back end of careers, too.  Decision makers and the player himself can get confirmation bias that SSS slumps are reality.

• Thanks 1

He also got the leadoff hit in the bottom of the 13th to help the Braves to the 1-0 win yesterday.  Pache ran for him straight away.

I feel like anyone like him, the ring is the thing by this point, so so far so good.  The NL DH perhaps saved him this summer from Duvall taking his job, though now in October I really feel like this is his time to outshine Duvall as I believe Nick can still hit good pitchers while Duvall is kind of a rich man's Renato Nunez.

Nick might put more butts in seats than Renato for $2-$3 million here next year if everybody wanted nostalgia, but he should stay with Atlanta if he can.  They have Waters/Pache coming but as always those guys could have stuff to work on.  Ozuna's choice of next team would bear on any Atlanta opportunity for him as well.

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

I won't lie, the Braves signing Travis Snider the other day stung a little here.

Tejada still has him by 2407-2388.   I half feel that if Diaz has to wait 6 weeks - I'd rather it be for Markakis than DJ Stewart.

Edwin Encarnacion is the only one ahead of him in Service Time among the unsigned FA in Fangraphs tracker.

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/news/nick-markakis-retires-after-15-mlb-seasons-with-orioles-braves/q23Gxg6weY7h

Outfielder Nick Markakis is retiring from baseball after a 15-year MLB career with the Baltimore Orioles and Atlanta Braves.

Markakis is a three-time Gold Glove winner, a Silver Slugger winner and a 2018 All-Star Game selection. The 37-year-old finished with a career .288 average, .357 on-base percentage and 189 home runs – including 10 or more homers in all nine seasons in Baltimore.

Markakis played the seventh-most games in right field in MLB history, and holds the MLB record for consecutive errorless games by an outfielder (398).

“I tell myself all the time, whether it is now or if I was fortunate enough to get that opportunity to be a Hall of Famer — to get that many hits — that 3,000 hits or 2,400 hits, it’s not going to define the player that I was,” Markakis told The Athletic's Dan Connolly. “I think I played the right way and that’s all that really matters to me."

Nick is retiring.  The hit counter stops at 2388.

A great career.  I hope Nick has a happy retirement!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1