End of season top 25?

ChuckS

Here is my crack at it: 

1. Austin Hays

2. Hunter Harvey (assuming his injury issues will not be recurring)

3. Ryan Mountcastle

4. Chance Sisco

5. D.L. Hall

6. Anthony Santander

7. Cedric Mullins

8. Alex Wells

9. Keegan Akin

10. Tanner Scott

11. D.J. Stewart

12. Zac Lowther

13. Adam Hall

14. Ademar Rifaela

15. Jhon Peluffo

16. Cody Sedlock

17. Jomar Reyes

18. Brenan Hanifee

19. Lucas Long

20. Michael Baumann

21. Trevor Craport

22. Ryan McKenna

23. Austin Wynns

24. Ofelky Peralta

25. Cameron Bishop

Depth of quality and potentially quality prospects has definitely improved significantly since mid-season.  I hesitated to rank some of the new draftees too high until we see them perform in full season ball.  I'm sure many of you will have Lowther and the Halls a bit higher.  The last dozen or so players are probably interchangeable depending on what floats your boat. I'm a big believer in Peluffo and think he is often overlooked.  

29 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Why is Anthony Santander playing so little for us? Is it because he's not really good enough defensively as an outfielder (worse than Mancini?)?

He's better than Mancini defensively.  I'd give him some starts over Smith the way Smith has been playing lately.  It's because Showalter has proven himself to respect experience and familiarity over talent.  

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

He's better than Mancini defensively.  I'd give him some starts over Smith the way Smith has been playing lately.  It's because Showalter has proven himself to respect experience and familiarity over talent.  

Ugh. I'm sad and frustrated to admit that I agree with you. 

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Poor example IMO.   Up through Sept. 2 Smith was doing just fine and had an .818 OPS (.982 since July 7).   Since then he's had a six-game slump in which he's 0 for 13; note that he only started four of those games and in one of the others he was pulled for a pinch hitter late in the game.    That's hardly the kind of protracted slump that warrants being benched, for a guy who's been a pretty productive hitter this season.    

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Until this last week, Buck has been trying to keep the team in a playoff race. Any manager would look to a proven player like Seth Smith over a rookie who spent the majority of the season on the DL. If the club completely falls out of the race in the next week, I'd hope to see more at bats for Santander in the few games that remain. 

Regarding the list, there is MUCH more depth than we expected at the beginning of the season. The last two drafts have really filled out the prospect ranks, and that's including Sedlock as a big disappointment. A big bounce back season from Stewart, a less big bounce back year from Reyes, Mullins proving he may be the real deal, and a dominating return from Harvey gives us a lot more to be optimistic about. 

The Orioles outfield future looks incredible. If Austin maintains his ability at the plate. Stewart continues off of the season he had. And the numbers Mullins would have had on a full season would have been ridiculous. Mountcastle getting adjusted to 3rd and that not affecting his batting. Just hopefully some of this pitching will prove itself of value in the future.

Don't think I can do a Top 25 right now without doing a bit more research on the "lower tier" guys.  But I'll happily put out a top 15!

1. Hunter Harvey - He's remained #1 to me through the injury, I don't think there's a player with higher upside than him in the system.

2. Austin Hays - The fact that he seems to have a defensive position just squeaks him past Mountcastle.

3. Ryan Mountcastle - Could be an elite power bat.  Where will he play?

4. Chance Sisco - Solid if unspectacular season at Norfolk.  Defense said to be improving.  I'm confident the bat will play.  Will the glove?

5. Keegan Akin - I liked the way he settled in after the tough start.  

6. Cedric Mullins - Seems to be very streaky, even from his first season in Aberdeen.  Love the speed/power combo though.

7. DJ Stewart - I don't think the ceiling is all that high, but I think the floor is.  Good work with the revised stance.

8. D.L. Hall - Not panicking over his pedestrian start, but compare to Harvey's start and it's a bit disappointing.  Hopefully the results start to matchup with the scouting reports.

9. Alex Wells - Love the numbers.  Will the stuff play at higher levels?

10. Brenan Hanifee - Nice start for the youngster.

11. Anthony Santander - Not as high on him as most seem to be - bat seems like it's going to have to play up quite a bit.

12. Adam Hall - Really just based on potential/reports

13. Tanner Scott - Slowly showing improved command.

14. Jomar Reyes - The bat is there.  Not sure about the head though.

15.  Michael Baumann - Just a flyer.  Big, strong kid.  I like him.

I'm enjoying these lists.    Our farm system is deeper than it's been in years, IMO.    My big concern is the lack of top pitching prospects who have reached the higher levels of our system.    There's no immediate help on the horizon, and we desperately need the help.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm enjoying these lists.    Our farm system is deeper than it's been in years, IMO.    My big concern is the lack of top pitching prospects who have reached the higher levels of our system.    There's no immediate help on the horizon, and we desperately need the help.  

Lowther, Bishop, Baumann and Hanifee could change that real quick with strong 2018 campaigns. It's realistic 2-3 could finish next season in Bowie. 

The pitching depth that was counted on through the draft has generally flopped.  Truthfully the best starters the Orioles have developed in what, decades?, are all with other teams, not in Baltimore.  Brutal to see the guys counted on to change that so far haven't.

Any concerns Mountcastle doesn't really draw walks?  A guy with an OBP that batting average dependent typically raises red flags.

Archived