Griffey Jr. Joins the 600 Club!!!

HeatherC12

Ken Griffey Jr. hit HR #600 tonight in the first inning off Mark Hendrickson of the Marlins and it was a two run bomb up into the right field seats. There was no doubt about it when it left the bat and thankfully the sparse crowd at Dolphin Stadium gave him a really nice ovation! Congrats on this great achievement Junior and I can't wait to hear the crowd in Cincy welcome you home tomorrow night!! :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

It's a total shame that his career has turned out like this. I'm willing to bet if he went uninjured he would be looking at about 725 right now.

Could anyone extrapolate the numbers based on his career averages if he played say, 155 games a year in the years where he was injured?

I consider myself an O's fan first and foremost, but I have to say Griffey is my all time favorite baseball player; I really don't think I'd be interested in baseball (or the Orioles for that matter) as much as I am if it werent for him and it's great to see him reach 600 and will be even cooler to see him get 700 :D

(well, maybe he won't, but im pretty sure he'll stay a lil while longer and maybe pass Mays' 660)

on a more surprising note our old buddy Paul Bako hit two home runs that game :eektf:

Yeah, the Paul Bako thing totally threw me for a loop too! They were both off left handed pitchers too which is even more crazy. He was asked later if it bothered him to have his big night overshadowed by Junior and he said that it didn't bother him at all. He said he was honored to be on the same team as Junior and that it was awesome to see him reach that milestone tonight. It's been a great night to be a Reds and Griffey fan and I hope they carry that mojo into GABP tomorrow night! :)

BTW-They're unveiling a HUGE banner at GABP tomorrow night to commemorate Junior's milestone and even better, tomorrow night is Joe Nuxhall night! Joe knew Junior for his whole life and watched him grow up so I know it will be a really special night for Junior and the whole team. I think it's going to be an amazing night downtown tomorrow and I really wish I could go to the game. If he'd waited just one more day, Junior could have hit #600 on the Old Lefthander's night here in Cincy which would have been WAY cool! :D

The sweetest swing you will ever see. A great player and it's a shame to that he's career ended up the way it did. But as Tim Kirkjian said in his article, it is best to remember Griffey in his prime. Remember when he was the greatest player of a generation. Remember how breathtaking he was to watch. I still have my "Griffey in 96" poster. So, to help remember Griffey Jr. in his prime, I added this video. Enjoy it - there may never be another of his kind again.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eK-MY3nALcQ

Congratulations Ken Griffey Jr.! It's been a pleasure to watch the first 600! As impossible as it may seem, here's to 163 more!;)

Always liked Jr. and yes, sweetest swing ever. It's just effortless, like he's taking a half swing almost, and the ball travels to... Eutaw St. :P

Sad side note... Sun article said Jerry Hairston was on third. Also said that Jerry broke his thumb earlier that inning stealing second. "Minor" break... non-displaced, gonna miss two to four weeks.

It's amazing that we're talking about a sure-fire first ballot HOFer in terms such as "a shame" and "could've." Injuries or not, he's still one of the best players ever to touch a ball/bat/glove. Sure, he could have been THE best, but that's just a testament to the absolutely unreal amount of talent that this one person possessed.

Always liked Jr. and yes, sweetest swing ever. It's just effortless, like he's taking a half swing almost, and the ball travels to... Eutaw St. :P

Sad side note... Sun article said Jerry Hairston was on third. Also said that Jerry broke his thumb earlier that inning stealing second. "Minor" break... non-displaced, gonna miss two to four weeks.

Didn't Jerry break something sliding into third during one ST with us (finger, hand, wrist, something)? And wasn't that how he finally lost his job to Brian Roberts? You'd think he'd learn not to slide head first!

It's a total shame that his career has turned out like this. I'm willing to bet if he went uninjured he would be looking at about 725 right now.

Could anyone extrapolate the numbers based on his career averages if he played say, 155 games a year in the years where he was injured?

I don't feel like doing the math on that ;), but here it is put another, probably more inexact way. If Griffey had Hank Aaron's number of plate appearances, his numbers extrapolate to 801 homers. With Willie May's number of plate appearances, 718. With Frank Robinson's number of plate appearances, 675.

Aaron 755/13940 PAs

Mays 660/12493 PAs

Griffey 600/10427 PAs

Robinson 586/11743 PAs

EDIT: Changed "would have hit" to extrapolate because that is more accurate. No one really knows what he would have done with more PAs.

It's amazing that we're talking about a sure-fire first ballot HOFer in terms such as "a shame" and "could've." Injuries or not, he's still one of the best players ever to touch a ball/bat/glove. Sure, he could have been THE best, but that's just a testament to the absolutely unreal amount of talent that this one person possessed.

He's like Mantle, except Mantle's "woulda coulda shoulda's" came much more from lifestyle choices than bad luck injuries.

The sweetest swing you will ever see. A great player and it's a shame to that he's career ended up the way it did. But as Tim Kirkjian said in his article, it is best to remember Griffey in his prime. Remember when he was the greatest player of a generation. Remember how breathtaking he was to watch. I still have my "Griffey in 96" poster. So, to help remember Griffey Jr. in his prime, I added this video. Enjoy it - there may never be another of his kind again.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eK-MY3nALcQ

Congratulations Ken Griffey Jr.! It's been a pleasure to watch the first 600! As impossible as it may seem, here's to 163 more!;)

Thats an awesome video. I remember when Kevin Bass hit that ball out to right center at the Kingdome and seeing Griffey fly into the wall....and being almost heartbroken that he broke his wrist on that play. Yeah, he was playing for Seattle and yeah, he routinely killed us...but you couldn't NOT like him and appreciate what he brought to the table. He was so exciting and so damn good...even when he'd blast one against us with that sweet swing, you had to shake your head and give him credit....he was (and still is) a joy to watch.

I don't feel like doing the math on that ;), but here it is put another, probably more inexact way. If Griffey had Hank Aaron's number of plate appearances, he would have hit 801 homers. With Willie May's number of plate appearances, he would have hit 718. With Frank Robinson's number of plate appearances, he would have hit 675.

Aaron 755/13940 PAs

Mays 660/12493 PAs

Griffey 600/10427 PAs

Robinson 586/11743 PAs

How many would he have hit with Barry Bond's PA's? :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t26oVYHGXH4&feature=related That's Brad Pennington in there, right? :)

Archived