Jump to content

What can we count on from Caleb Joseph?


Frobby

Recommended Posts

2014: .618 OPS, 1.2 rWAR in 77 starts

2015: .693 OPS, 2.2 rWAR in 93 starts

2016: .413 OPS, -1.0 rWAR in 40 starts 

2017: .700 OPS, 1.6 rWAR in 69 starts

One thing about Caleb is that he’s prone to pretty severe slumps.    In 2017, from July 23 to the end of the season he hit .177/.210/.333 in 100 PA.   In 2016, his entire year was one long slump.   In 2015, he had a 146 PA stretch of a .555 OPS.  In 2014, he finished the year in a 3 for 46 slide.  

Still, if you take 2016 out of the equation, Joseph has given us pretty good bang for the buck.  What’s your guess as to how many games Joseph will start in 2018?    I’m guessing it’s very close to a 50/50 split, with Joseph perhaps catching 85 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s your guess as to how many games Joseph will start in 2018?    I’m guessing it’s very close to a 50/50 split, with Joseph perhaps catching 85 games.

Might the Orioles sign a catcher? If so, I would guess Joseph would start between 25% - 50% of games.

If Sisco is the backup, I would guess Joseph would start 60% - 75% of games. Maybe a little higher if Wynns...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

2014: .618 OPS, 1.2 rWAR in 77 starts

2015: .693 OPS, 2.2 rWAR in 93 starts

2016: .413 OPS, -1.0 rWAR in 40 starts 

2017: .700 OPS, 1.6 rWAR in 69 starts

One thing about Caleb is that he’s prone to pretty severe slumps.    In 2017, from July 23 to the end of the season he hit .177/.210/.333 in 100 PA.   In 2016, his entire year was one long slump.   In 2015, he had a 146 PA stretch of a .555 OPS.  In 2014, he finished the year in a 3 for 46 slide.  

Still, if you take 2016 out of the equation, Joseph has given us pretty good bang for the buck.  What’s your guess as to how many games Joseph will start in 2018?    I’m guessing it’s very close to a 50/50 split, with Joseph perhaps catching 85 games.

I think a reason for that is he has a long swing and average at best bat speed.  So when he’s not seeing the ball well he doesn’t have bat to ball talent to fall back on.

I’d like to (if Sisco is looking like he’s continuing to improve behind the plate) see a straight platoon between Sisco and Caleb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd trade Joseph and make Sisco the starting catcher. Trial by fire. 

I'm all for this if they can get an interesting prospect or two in return.  I'm not really sure how other teams would value Joseph but he's probably a back-up catcher upgrade for pretty much every team at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd trade Joseph and make Sisco the starting catcher. Trial by fire. 

I would not consider that at all.   I’d much rather have Sisco paired with a veteran catcher who knows the staff and is known as a team-first guy who will help his teammate.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...