• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/20/2017 at 4:56 PM, Frobby said:

Miller wasn’t a closer, and since then the price of closers has skyrocketed:  

Chapman 5/$86 mm

Jansen 5/$80 mm

Melancon 4/$62 mm

A healthy Britton would command more than $50 mm.

And now Wade Davis at 3/$52 mm.    I think if Britton’s healthy and effective once he returns from his injury, he’ll get a $50 mm+ deal as these four did.   

Here is my take on Britton's 2018 salary.

1) There is no indication that the O's will try to release him.

2) I don't think it is in Peter Angelos DNA to sign an injured player to a  two  (or more) year contract.  

3) Though tendering Britton a contract gives him some rights it does not set the salary level.   He is arbitration eligible.    I found an article  that talks about the arbitration criteria.   

The information the player and team can use during the hearing to present their case is governed by Article VI, Section E, Part 10 (a) & (b) of the CBA. This information includes the player's contribution to the team during the past season (e.g., the player's on-field performance and other qualities such as leadership and fan appeal), the length and consistency of the player's career contributions, the player's past compensation, the existence of any physical or mental defects, the team's recent performance (e.g., the team's record, improvement and attendance) and comparative baseball salaries.

The panel gives the most weight to each side's presentation of comparable baseball salaries. Here, the player and team can only compare the contracts of players whose service time does not exceed one annual service group above the player's service group. For example, Yankees starting pitcher Michael Pineda, who is entering his second year of salary arbitration, would be compared to other starting pitchers who were also entering their second year of salary arbitration. 

Information the panel cannot consider during the hearing includes the financial position of the team or player, testimonials or press comments regarding the team's or player's performance, prior contractual negotiations between the team and player, any costs associated with the salary arbitration process (i.e., attorney's fees), and salaries in other sports or occupations. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-salary-arbitration-process-breakdown-spring-training-2016/4jkawqkczi8i17cb4rhqjxseh

This basically is taken right on of the current CBA.

This indicates that last year's performance plus Britton's current physical detects  will be taken into account in an arbitration case.  

Since Britton is projected to miss at least the first  third on the season a salary cut on 30% is probably in line with  this criteria.     That would put Britton salary at about 8m for the 2018 season.

We all know that Angelos' firm is excellent at arbitration cases.  Boras will stand up for his client.  The could going to a hearing.   From what I can see it would be record setting because I can not find a reduction of this size previously.   But the CBA does allow a 30% maximum reduction for a player like Britton as I have posted in this thread.

There is some addition language on the subject in the  CBA on page 21, Criteria;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4PW47PiAi-dl9jVTg3RVNZSkU/view

What do you think?  Will Peter go for a 30% cut to Britton salary?

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is my take on Britton's 2018 salary.

What do you think?  Will Peter go for a 30% cut to Britton salary?

No.

Never been done before, no reason to expect them to break precedent now.  The most likely scenario is that Britton gets a very small raise.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

No.

Never been done before, no reason to expect them to break precedent now.  The most likely scenario is that Britton gets a very small raise.

I don’t expect the O’s to try to cut Britton by 30%.     They may try to at least hold the line at his current salary.   This will be delicate.    The O’s want Britton back as soon as possible and don’t want him coming back with a sour taste in his mouth.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t expect the O’s to try to cut Britton by 30%.     They may try to at least hold the line at his current salary.   This will be delicate.    The O’s want Britton back as soon as possible and don’t want him coming back with a sour taste in his mouth.  

Like you said, very delicate situation, and no matter what decision the team is going to make, they are going to get blasted by the fan base.

If the Orioles number is a 30% reduction and Boras' number is a slight increase, say 2-5%, Boras will win in that scenario, imo.  If the Orioles offer a 5-10% reduction, they will be on better footing.

Any examples of injured guys going to arbitration and their outcomes?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Orioles, Zach Britton Agree to One-Year, $12 Million Deal

(ESPN.Com News Services)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22061452/baltimore-orioles-zach-britton-agree-one-year-12-million-deal

o

So we get a half a year, at best, of Zach Britton for 12M? What a deal that we are paying a closer the equivolent of 24M for 2018.

1 hour ago, weams said:

They could have cut him to 9.5 but he would have won 12  or more in arb. 

We’ll never know.   One of the arbitration criteria is “physical defects” of the player.     I don’t know why that’s in there except to allow a team to argue that injuries will impair the player’s ability to help the team.     I’m sure there are probably some other examples of injured players going to arbitration, but I don’t know of any.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

We’ll never know.   One of the arbitration criteria is “physical defects” of the player.     I don’t know why that’s in there except to allow a team to argue that injuries will impair the player’s ability to help the team.     I’m sure there are probably some other examples of injured players going to arbitration, but I don’t know of any.

I guess what I was implying is that they were not arguing over 12 million. Only two or so. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I guess what I was implying is that they were not arguing over 12 million. Only two or so. 

Oh, I agree.    I’m just saying there may have been good grounds for the O’s to argue that a pay cut to $9.5 mm was appropriate due to his injury.

The arbitration criteria are interesting.    They also include the performance of the team and attendance.     Both those factors also weigh towards the O’s not being too generous.    

Archived