Does Adam Jones Want to Stay Here Past 2018?

TonySoprano

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess I’m higher on the young outfielders than you.   And I’m probably lower on what Jones will do at age 33+.

I think only Hays has a shot to be as good as Jones was in his prime, and it’s not certain he’ll be that good.   But Jones isn’t in his prime anymore.    I’d rather give the younger guys a shot.    And yes, I do love Adam.  If the team does need to rebuild, he won’t be happy here and will be a waste of money. I’d rather use his money to keep Schoop here, or extend Gausman or Bundy.   

I think the O's have more than enough money to do all of that - especially if there is a hypothetical outfield of Mullins in CF, Hays in LF, and Jones in RF. You could then rotate Mancini and Davis between 1B and DH. 

Jones brings a lot of leadership and a winning culture to the O's. As someone who played sports, I think that is one of the most important things for a team. Baseball players aren't robots - they are humans. It's sometimes easy to forget about the human element to the game as fans, I think.

Anyway, I hope Jones stays because what he brings off the field makes him worth whatever the O's pay him.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think the O's have more than enough money to do all of that - especially if there is a hypothetical outfield of Mullins in CF, Hays in LF, and Jones in RF. You could then rotate Mancini and Davis between 1B and DH. 

Jones brings a lot of leadership and a winning culture to the O's. As someone who played sports, I think that is one of the most important things for a team. Baseball players aren't robots - they are humans. It's sometimes easy to forget about the human element to the game as fans, I think.

Anyway, I hope Jones stays because what he brings off the field makes him worth whatever the O's pay him.

Yea all that winning culture sure worked for them last year.

Wasn't Millar signed for his winning culture-ness, back in the day?

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did 2012-2016 get erased from your memory? What about the most wins in the American League over a five year period? What about 1998-2011? This team has one bad year and everyone is acting like the sky has fallen.

It's almost insulting to compare Millar running around going "Heee haw, cowboy up!" to what Jones brings to the team.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

And this year will be Adam's 11th in Baltimore.  How did that work out?

Very well, but I don't think the next 3-5 will be. The last two years have already been average to below average, and getting into your mid thirties doesn't usually reverse an obvious decline.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Very well, but I don't think the next 3-5 will be. The last two years have already been average to below average, and getting into your mid thirties doesn't usually reverse an obvious decline.

Since when is a .285 batting average, .787 OPS, 26 home runs, and 2.5 WAR below average?

15 minutes ago, theocean said:

Since when is a .285 batting average, .787 OPS, 26 home runs, and 2.5 WAR below average?

fWAR has his 2017 at 1.7, splitting the difference and calling it average. I'd call his 2016 below average. So, the last two years have ranged between average (2017) to below average (2016).

Aside from that, I don't find batting average to be compelling evidence of anything at all, OPS needs to be adjusted to be context neutral, and basically everyone hits homers now. The fact that his power hasn't risen with the rest of MLB is actually further evidence of his decline. His wRC+ over the last 5 years shows his offense has been in a steady decline, he's now the slowest regular center fielder in baseball and his defense is showing it.  Now he's entering his mid 30s. It gets worse now, not better.

I love Adam Jones, I think he's a great guy and he's obviously been a very good player for the Orioles. No player remains good forever, time always wins.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

59 minutes ago, theocean said:

Did 2012-2016 get erased from your memory? What about the most wins in the American League over a five year period? What about 1998-2011? This team has one bad year and everyone is acting like the sky has fallen.

It's almost insulting to compare Millar running around going "Heee haw, cowboy up!" to what Jones brings to the team.

What's up with the Millar hate?  His first two years here were good...811 and 785 OPS at age 34 and 35 seasons for about $3M each.

Plus a little leadership and good at bats almost every time up.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm starting to think Adam Jones has evolved into a classic clubhouse cancer. We will have a brand new outfield in 2019 and frankly I can't wait for that day to happen.

I think Adam is exactly the same as he has always been.  He is a guy who is happy in the moment and he is very good at staying in the moment and is perhaps the best of teammates because he does have a battlefield, chip on shoulder, us versus them, we are in this together mentality.  This push of an all in last year will be right up his alley and he will be his usual self  (if we actually do sign another veteran starting pitcher in the next few days and add another LH bat-- high end would be Lynn or Cobb and CarGo or Moustakas and low end would be Tillman and Michael Bourn)  Plus he knows this is a contract year for him and he will be on all cylinders...all the time.  Adam is the absolute least of my concerns about the 2018 team. 

5 hours ago, joeyc said:

Face it guys, we have become a Major League farm system for better teams. We can't retain our own stars, they go elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They retained Hardy, O'Day, Davis and Trumbo. hHow did that work out?

5 hours ago, Snutchy said:

Correct. They also extended Adam Jones and Nick Markakis. Those were good extensions. It's not about the ability to retain, it's about retaining the right ones and cutting bait with or trading those who aren't.

o

And Brian Roberts. He had a great season after he signed the extension (2009), but then he essentially ended his own flourishing career by hitting himself in the head with a bat.

Also, the first extension of Hardy (2012-2014) worked out very well before the 2nd extension (2015-2017) did not.

So they extended J.J. Hardy (twice), Chris Davis, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Darren O'Day, Brian Roberts, and Mark Trumbo ........ perhaps Joey C is referring to Mike Mussina signing with the Yankees in the middle of his career, 17 years ago.

o

2 hours ago, weams said:

Forget WAR for Orioles Outfielders. Bad fielding stat issues. 

I don’t need advanced stats to see that Adam has slowed considerably the last two years and is now a below average defensive CF.    It’s pretty obvious.   But, the advanced stats do back that up, including the newer ones from Statcast.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm starting to think Adam Jones has evolved into a classic clubhouse cancer. We will have a brand new outfield in 2019 and frankly I can't wait for that day to happen.

I really wish people wouldn’t throw the “clubhouse cancer” label around so easily.    It should be reserved for guys who are proven, repeated trouble in the clubhouse. To suggest that of Jones is ludicrous.     

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really wish people wouldn’t throw the “clubhouse cancer” label around so easily.    It should be reserved for guys who are proven, repeated trouble in the clubhouse. To suggest that of Jones is ludicrous.     

I agree.  Albert Belle comes easily to mind.  Adam is a positive force and will be as he always has been in the clubhouse..a veteran leader,. 

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/02/sports/sports-of-the-times-it-s-polar-opposites-with-ripken-and-belle.html

Archived