Cashner signing

jcaponio

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

We all new this was coming (typical Oriole signing), but it still stings to see it in writing. They should have paid him more (per season) just to not be locked into him for two years.4.6 strikeouts per 9 innings IS NOT going to play well at Camden Yards. He's no better than Wade Miley and it's embarrassing that they think the average fan doesn't realize this. 

The sad thing is, all things considered, it's not a bad signing.

Yes he might completely crash and burn, but he has a fair chance at being a serviceable back end guy for two years at a reasonable price.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We all new this was coming (typical Oriole signing), but it still stings to see it in writing. They should have paid him more (per season) just to not be locked into him for two years.4.6 strikeouts per 9 innings IS NOT going to play well at Camden Yards. He's no better than Wade Miley and it's embarrassing that they think the average fan doesn't realize this. 

So MLBTR slots him as the 5th best FA SP in the market.

Yet, you the amateur fan, knows more than they do?

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Wade Miley walked the most batters in all of baseball last year - 93. Cashner walked 64. 

So I just cannot agree with this statement.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that two pitchers with much different profiles can have similar k-rates but varying degrees of success.

Why is it hard for you to understand they have had similar K rates and similar degrees of success. My point is that we are doing Gallardo all over again.

10 minutes ago, MatthewW said:

Pitcher A projections:

117 IP   5.48 K/9   2.78 BB/9   5.33 xFIP

Pitcher B projections:

138 IP.  5.75 K/9   3.61 BB/9   5.23 xFIP

9 minutes ago, MatthewW said:

Any guesses?

Player A makes $500k, while player B now makes $8M...

A Ynoa

B Cashner

Admittedly, there are a lot more variables then the 4 stats. But I can't find ANY that says that Cashner is going to worth the difference between Ynoa and himself. There is just about a 0% chance he is going to be able to continue putting up anything close to those results last year with those peripherals...

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yes he might completely crash and burn, but he has a fair chance at being a serviceable back end guy for two years at a reasonable price.

Hey there we go. Finally got there.

My main thing is the rotation instantly looks stable. Now you can at least pin some hopes on Cortes and maybe they sign another guy, and suddenly we at least have a ML rotation. A long way from that MASN graphic with three ???. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

As reluctant as I was about Cashner, I have to agree with you.   If Cashner is a viable #3, I have no problem with us bringing Tillman back in the fold, preferably on a MiLB deal. 

Just now, MatthewW said:

Player A makes $500k, while player B now makes $8M...

A Ynoa

B Cashner

Admittedly, there are a lot more variables then the 4 stats. But I can't find ANY that says that Cashner is going to worth the difference between Ynoa and himself. There is just about a 0% chance he is going to be able to continue putting up anything close to those results last year with those peripherals...

Wait so you are complaining we signed a starting pitcher for 8m a year? And using Ynoa as an example? Lord. 

Just now, interloper said:

Hey there we go. Finally got there.

My main thing is the rotation instantly looks stable. Now you can at least pin some hopes on Cortes and maybe they sign another guy, and suddenly we at least have a ML rotation. A long way from that MASN graphic with three ???. 

I said that from the start.

I don't think he is going to do well but at this point that isn't relevant.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why is it hard for you to understand they have had similar K rates and similar degrees of success. My point is that we are doing Gallardo all over again.

Because I tend to believe that Cashner's velocity will lend him greater success as an Oriole than Gallardo's did. I dunno, I just do not see this as Gallardo all over again. Two wildly different pitchers who have some similar peripherals. It doesn't mean they will have the same amount of success.