Cashner signing

jcaponio

1 minute ago, andrewochs615 said:

Yea I don't know why the insist on hiding pitchers. Its like they don't want to know that they are bad

I love Buck, but it's one of those Buck things that gets me. He knows everyone has scouting reports, just let the guys pitch. 

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

"Spring Training is all about getting my work in. For me, it's not so much about what the hitter is doing. It's what I need to do, which is commanding my stuff on both sides of the plate, up [and] down," Cashner said. "[I'm] still getting acclimated with all the plays. I think the 'A' games are to show something or prove something. I'll prove my stuff during the season."

Thinks mighty highly of himself.  

What pitcher doesn't?

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

I love Buck, but it's one of those Buck things that gets me. He knows everyone has scouting reports, just let the guys pitch. 

Scouting reports are one thing, facing a guy live is something else.    I don’t know if hiding our guys is worth it, but I wouldn’t discount it just because opponents can get scouting reports or watch video.    There’s no substitute for seeing a pitcher live from the batter’s box.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Scouting reports are one thing, facing a guy live is something else.    I don’t know if hiding our guys is worth it, but I wouldn’t discount it just because opponents can get scouting reports or watch video.    There’s no substitute for seeing a pitcher live from the batter’s box.

Sure, it just seems like suddenly it's Opening Day and guys like Tillman and Cashner will have pitched a couple 4 innings sim games or whatever. That's not enough. That's not being ready for the season. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, it just seems like suddenly it's Opening Day and guys like Tillman and Cashner will have pitched a couple 4 innings sim games or whatever. That's not enough. That's not being ready for the season. 

And every year the O's starters have to get pulled after five and the opposition always seem to go six.  They just start with extra wear on the bullpen from day one.

Anytime one team does something and 29 teams do something else I have to think the 29 teams are more likely to be correct.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

On similar note I don't think facing A ball competition is a substitute for facing major leaguers.

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Tillman and Cashner are established veterans.  Unless they are injured, there is no sense in hiding them from spring training games.  Let them pitch and build up arm strength.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And every year the O's starters have to get pulled after five and the opposition always seem to go six.  They just start with extra wear on the bullpen from day one.

Anytime one team does something and 29 teams do something else I have to think the 29 teams are more likely to be correct.

Exxxxxxxxactly.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

On similar note I don't think facing A ball competition is a substitute for facing major leaguers.

I’m not saying there’s not another side to the issue.     I was just responding to the narrow point about hiding pitchers being futile due to scouting reports.    

But, for what it’s worth, our starters had a 4.26 ERA through the end of April last year, so maybe there’s something to this “hiding” plan!    We know what happened after hitters had seen our starters a few times....   xD

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's your point?

Cashner is pretty average.  Maybe he should try some different things for some different results.  

I’d say his results last year were pretty good, so this isn’t the time he’s likely to change anything.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's your point?

Cashner is pretty average.  Maybe he should try some different things for some different results.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say his results last year were pretty good, so this isn’t the time he’s likely to change anything.  

He certainly tried different things last year and it worked.

I'm not sold on it being sustainable mind you.

• 2 weeks later...

o

Cashner's outing was aided by an outstanding defensive play by Craig Gentry in the outfield. His sliding catch on a line drive deep down the right-field line turned a potential RBI-double into a double play.

A good fake by the Orioles nearly worked with 2 outs and a runners on 1st and 3rd in the 3rd inning. Ryan Flaherty stole 2nd, and Caleb Joseph fired the ball which was intercepted by Cashner, who just missed catching the runner napping off of 3rd base.

The home-plate umpire was a little stingy with the Strike Zone.

12 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Flyout 

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER )))))) (vs. PHILLIES, 3/11))))))) [Spring Training]

IP:lll 4

H:lllll 1 )) (1 Single)

R:lllll 0

BB:lll3

SO:lll2

Pitches: )l 59(37 )Strikes, )22 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 0.00 )l(Spring Training) ) 4.00 IP  (0 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.000 )l(Spring Training) )  4.00 IP  (4 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .083 )l(Spring Training)  (1 for 12)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 ll(71 llStrikes, llll51 l..Balls)

14 ll(91 llStrikes, llll51 l.Balls)

18 ll(11 llStrikes, llll71 llBalls)

15 lll(10 llStrikes, lll.51 lllBalls)

o

• Upvote 2

o

60% of the outs that Cashner recorded (9 out of 15) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

He had to essentially get 4 outs in the 5th inning, due to an error by Schoop on the throw to first base.

Unlike his last outing, the home-plate umpire was more generous with the strike zone for Cashner today.

15 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout 

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER )))))) (vs. METS, 3/16))))))) [Spring Training]

IP:ll 5

H:lllll 3 )) (1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll0

SO:ll.3

Pitches: )l 63(51 )Strikes, )12 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 1.00 )l(Spring Training) ) 9.00 IP  (1 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 0.889 )l(Spring Training) )  9.00 IP  (8 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .129 )l(Spring Training)  (4 for 31)

PITCHES BY INNING

16 ll(11 llStrikes, lll.51 lllBalls)

13 ll(10 llStrikes, llll31 llBalls)

14 lll(12 llStrikes, llll21 l.Balls)

91 lll(71 llStrikes, llll.21 lllBalls)

11 lll(11 llStrikes, llll.01 llBalls)

o

• Upvote 2