Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good post. I think a realistic rest of the offseason could be Liriano and Dyson/Jay/Rasmus. 

Lynn if he falls into our laps on a 3 year deal. 

Dyson is signing with Diamondbacks.  I'll take Jay.  Hard pass on Rasmus, last thing the Orioles need is another high strikeout, low average hitter.  I'm more inclined to go with the youngsters unless the Orioles get serious and sign Cobb or Lynn.  

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Dyson is signing with Diamondbacks.  I'll take Jay.  Hard pass on Rasmus, last thing the Orioles need is another high strikeout, low average hitter.  I'm more inclined to go with the youngsters unless the Orioles get serious and sign Cobb or Lynn.  

I like the youngsters. But you can have both. AJ is a FA at years end. Jay can get plenty of AB’s the next two years. Plus he’s a vet that’s won before. Seems like a great team guy. Good OBP. Can play good defense at all 3 OF spots. 

Sometimes we can have a nice bench. Jay can either win the starting RF spot or be a beast 4th OF. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm beiing to glass half empty.  I like a lot of the position prospects in the system.  Problem is and always has been is starting pitching.  

Right.  I would not just hope, but expect a rebuild / reload to go much better than the Syd Thrift garage sale.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the youngsters. But you can have both. AJ is a FA at years end. Jay can get plenty of AB’s the next two years. Plus he’s a vet that’s won before. Seems like a great team guy. Good OBP. Can play good defense at all 3 OF spots. 

Sometimes we can have a nice bench. Jay can either win the starting RF spot or be a beast 4th OF. 

I've wanted to get Jay in the past, good OBP and usually a good average.  Qualities the Orioles offense usually lacks.  

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah Thrift should have been fishing somewhere in Florida at that point in his career.  A decent GM (gulp Brady?) wouldn't lead to 14 years of losing.  

We had 6 different GM’s over the 14 years, so it’s not all on Thrift.   But he certainly took a somewhat bad situation and made it much worse.   

For outfield, I want somebody who can play some defense, preferably back up center field. Dyson or Jay would be good fits. For the starting rotation, I would be surprised if they added somebody, but they certainly have the budget to do it. And realistically Wright and the other suspects are probably best regarded as replacements in case of injury to someone else. Plus, with how bad Tillman was last year (and how low his base salary is this year) they might be thinking of an insurance plan if he pitches like a turnip again this year.

24 minutes ago, crawjo said:

For outfield, I want somebody who can play some defense, preferably back up center field. Dyson or Jay would be good fits. For the starting rotation, I would be surprised if they added somebody, but they certainly have the budget to do it. And realistically Wright and the other suspects are probably best regarded as replacements in case of injury to someone else. Plus, with how bad Tillman was last year (and how low his base salary is this year) they might be thinking of an insurance plan if he pitches like a turnip again this year.

Dyson is off the table

5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

No I am not happy. Signing Tillman is silly. If this team wants to compete then it takes good pitchers. It takes a Cobb or Lynn. Not Chris Tillman. 

Exactly. This is more of the same crap we've been seeing. I can't believe people on this forum are saying the team is going for it this year. Thats an absolute joke. They're going for it with this staff. Come on man. 

Archived