If we are out of it by the All-Star game

Richmond Bird 9

Just now, Luke-OH said:

I know there are a few, one name really jumps out at me, I'm not saying there aren't pessimists among us. I just think whether or not the team sells at the deadline if struggling is a legit conversation point, since under PA the team has had a tendency not to do this against conventional wisdom.

legit conversation point, true, you can discuss the hell out of it.

This team is not going to be a fire seller, and that drives some posters bananas.

Not sure I call it conventional wisdom, bowing to the demands on what the posters feel the team should do.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, the doom and gloomers say AJ sucked last year, even with a 2.5 WAR and with every key they hit on the keyboard, its putting down the FO and the team.

Keep in mind, some of these posters have been saying since 2012 that the team needs to do a full rebuild.

Winter 2016 was my assertion...

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

This team is not going to be a fire seller, and that drives some posters bananas.

Not sure I call it conventional wisdom, bowing to the demands on what the posters feel the team should do.

I'm not a fire sale guy, I dislike fire sales.  I'm a routine smart sell of near free agency pieces guy. 

1 hour ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Are Dan and Buck the right combo to rebuild the team for 2019.

Plenty of money coming off the books.

Possible not here for  2019: Dan/Buck/Manny/Adam/Zach/Brad/Tillman 

So, while I’m not wanting to dwell on negative scenarios in February, I will answer your question.    I think in other circumstances, Dan and/or Buck could do a good job on a rebuild.    But I don’t think the two of them, working in the current environment, would be the right ones for that job.    Their own relationship is apparently strained, and with Angelos apparently not adopting clear lines of authority between them (and also listening to other influences), I just think it would be better to wipe the slate clean.    Note that I said “apparently” twice in that last sentence — nobody here really knows what goes on behind the scenes.  

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think it should be a pretty black & white evaluation.

1. Player X has a lot of value.

2. Player X is going to cost more money in free agency than your team is willing to shell out.

3. Your team is not constructed to win the division even with Player X on it and doesn't figure to be prior to Player X becoming a free agent.

4. Trade Player X.

Frobby's post is spot on and I obviously there's some subjectivity involved with point #3. Who knows how functional/dysfunctional this thing really is, but given how last year played out and how Britton has had bad luck with his health, looking to deal he & Manny in the Winter of 2016 would have been the prudent move.

But the bigger point for me as far as Britton is concerned is that he was an arbitration eligible closer coming off of a career year with point #3 above being (IMO) reality. I'm sure dealing those two guys would have upset the clubhouse and yada, yada, yada.... but I don't see how the whole "reload" assertion by Duquette is sustainable when your core rolls outta dodge for draft picks. Remember what MacPhail said when he dealt Bedard. "There is safety in numbers."

We won't get the numbers with comp picks, nor likely the talent. I just think improvising every offseason is a bad way to run a baseball team.

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

This thread, in a nutshell, is why I haven't been around very much since August. I can't stand this constant negativity. SMH

I know. Every post is Angelos sucks, Duquette is an idiot, let's trade every player we have so we can start some b-level prospect who won't pan out.

Let's see them play some games first. No reason this team can't compete.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

How about some optimism?

Is Cashner / Castro / Cortes / Mesa / etc, an improvement over Miley, Ubaldo and company from last season? Not sure, but hopefully.

Lets try and get May under out belt, before we say we suck.

I admire the optimism and while those guys can be better than what we had last season, I don't think it's going to be enough.  Too many flaws on this team to make them a WC contender.

If everything breaks right I think they'd be in the 80-83 win range.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I admire the optimism and while those guys can be better than what we had last season, I don't think it's going to be enough.  Too many flaws on this team to make them a WC contender.

If everything breaks right I think they'd be in the 80-83 win range.

it could break either side of the 80-83 number without too much effort.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some of the really bad doom and gloomers, Ive put on ignore, they are just too negative to even try and read.

It been a hard and long off-season, in OH, more than usual.

He asked a good question I think. I am sorry but I dont  think this team is a playoff team. Sorry for being negative. I just remember when Weaver was the manager. Developed good pitching. Sorry. I don't mean to offend you Rick by thinking the O's aren't as good as we hope. 

Archived