If we are out of it by the All-Star game

Richmond Bird 9

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because we can more value from Machado than a first round pick and we get nothing when Britton, Jones and Brach walk.  Unless you think they turn down a QO?

I guess if Jones has a big year a QO might work.  But it might not.

If Britton has a good year, he probably turns down a QO, considering the contracts closers are getting.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Britton has a good year, he probably turns down a QO, considering the contracts closers are getting.

Britton will be coming off a series of serious injuries.  I don't think he will have enough time to prove himself healthy enough to secure a big time contract.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Britton will be coming off a series of serious injuries.  I don't think he will have enough time to prove himself healthy enough to secure a big time contract.

Maybe.   But if he gets in four months and posts a sub-2.00 ERA with a ridiculous GB rate, I don’t think teams will hold his injury against him.  

1 hour ago, theocean said:

Then you have a team that made it to the divisional series in 2018 and a team in 2019 that doesn't have Machado, Britton, Jones, and Brach.

Basically - my point is... why does everyone want to trade Machado, Britton, Jones and Brach for prospects that hopefully turn into productive major leagues and hopefully form part of a team that can at least, at some point, make it to the divisional series? We have a team that can do that now. Let's enjoy it.

If you are someone who is of the mindset that you have to go the tanking route of the Astros and Cubs to win a World Series - then you should be okay with the idea of Machado, Britton, and Jones declining their qualifying offers and receiving the extra picks. Then, the O's can suck for a few years to get the high draft picks necessary to do that.

Frankly, the prospects that the O's will get for one year of Machado, Jones, Brach, and an injured Britton aren't going to bring back players to form the Cubs 2.0 or the Astros 2.0. The O's aren't going to call up Sisco, Hays, Harvey and Mountcastle and somehow be better than the current team.

It's pretty clear the FO is going to see what this team can do in 2018. If they do well, they'll go for it. If they struggle, they'll sell before July 31st. I don't see how that isn't a plan.

I was on record as were a number of others as forcing the issue with Manny in the offseason after 2016...either sign an extension  or trade him for an entire system worth of top prospects that would have been returned at that time for 2cost controlled Manny seasons.  I also was on record at the same time advocating for the sale of Zach after his record making season...again a legion of top prospects would have returned. 

Those top prospects would likely now be forming the next core of winning. 

If we had taken that road, yes, we would have certainly finished last in 2017.   And where did we finish?  And now with the same core that finished last, we are again going with the exact same strategy.  Unfortunately, we are more likely now to have a stretch of last place finishes than a stretch of playoff appearances, imho. 

It’s an ugly, unfortunate reality for the Orioles.

Identify and extend guys like Machado early (Angelos would giggle at this assertion), or realize once the secret’s out, you’d better hurry up and win a ring OR make a decision on his trade value.

They flat out dropped the ball with Machado, I’m afraid. Now you have to hope you can find a desperate team at the break AND, (amazingly) hope that the Orioles come off of their insistence that they get at least 2 major league pitchers for him. Cuz that ain’t happenin’ folks.

4 hours ago, theocean said:

We have winning now. Last year was a worst case scenario. This team is just as good as the teams that will be going for the Second Wild Card: the Angels, the Mariners, the Twins. They're probably better than the Blue Jays and Rangers. And the Royals, Rays, Athletics, Tigers, and White Sox aren't even tryin this year. 

Fans have short memories. In 2012, the San Francisco Giants won the Series. In 2013, they went 76-86. In 2014, they won the Series again and were the Second Wild Card Team.

That was a very different team.

1. 2013 was not a healthy year for them.  While the Orioles underperformed they were relatively healthy last year.

2. Those giant teams had elite pitching; the Orioles do not.

3.  Those giant teams were in a relatively weak division, arguably the weakest; the Orioles are in strong division.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s an ugly, unfortunate reality for the Orioles.

Identify and extend guys like Machado early (Angelos would giggle at this assertion), or realize once the secret’s out, you’d better hurry up and win a ring OR make a decision on his trade value.

They flat out dropped the ball with Machado, I’m afraid. Now you have to hope you can find a desperate team at the break AND, (amazingly) hope that the Orioles come off of their insistence that they get at least 2 major league pitchers for him. Cuz that ain’t happenin’ folks.

And it looks like Schoop will be handled the same way.

12 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

This thread, in a nutshell, is why I haven't been around very much since August. I can't stand this constant negativity. SMH

I have to agree...this thread didn't necessarily bother me, but the amount of negativity on the site has definitely influenced how much I am on and contribute.  My wife used to get angry at my "negativity" during Oriole games.  I seriously handed her my IPad and showed her the site.  She hasn't called me negative since.  

I saw a picture today of Machado, Schoop and Jones together - it was photoshopped, but Schoop was sitting on a chair in front of Jones and Manny holding a piece of paper. On the paper it said, “The Orioles won’t extend any of us.”

I wish I could plug it in here but can’t figure out how. (I’m on my iPhone.)

Archived