This is a joke

eddie83

Eduardo Encina article today. Flaherty did not get club wide approval in time which is why he didn’t come back. He basically waited on the Orioles and time ran out. 

Ryan Goins and the Orioles had agreed to a major league deal but it did not get ownership approval in time and the deal fell apart. 

First off why in the world is the owner involved here. Can anybody do anything in this organization without his approval? Can toilet paper be ordered without him approving of it? 

If signing a utility player to a contract requires his approval can he take the time needed to get it done? How can anyone do their job? Lord knows how many opportunities are wasted waiting on the owners approval. We have heard these type of stories before but good grief. It is amazing we accomplished what we did from 2012-16. Looks more impressive everyday. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-bs-orioles-flaherty-20180225-story.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The player is inconsequential and the information is already know.  Also, Dan doesn't return phone calls.

I didnt know Goins wasn’t signed because the owner dragged his heals. 

So you think an owner needs a ton of time to approve a deal for a UTI? 

I’m sure part of Dan’s job is to return calls. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I didnt know Goins wasn’t signed because the owner dragged his heals. 

So you think an owner needs a ton of time to approve a deal for a UTI? 

I’m sure part of Dan’s job is to return calls. 

I don't think the owner needs a ton of time.

I think the owner takes a ton of time.  Most of the time is the probably the paperwork just sitting on his desk.

But we already know all of this, I mean sure we didn't know about Goins specifically but by this point I just assume stuff like this is happening.

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Eduardo Encina article today. Flaherty did not get club wide approval in time which is why he didn’t come back. He basically waited on the Orioles and time ran out. 

Ryan Goins and the Orioles had agreed to a major league deal but it did not get ownership approval in time and the deal fell apart. 

First off why in the world is the owner involved here. Can anybody do anything in this organization without his approval? Can toilet paper be ordered without him approving of it? 

If signing a utility player to a contract requires his approval can he take the time needed to get it done? How can anyone do their job? Lord knows how many opportunities are wasted waiting on the owners approval. We have heard these type of stories before but good grief. It is amazing we accomplished what we did from 2012-16. Looks more impressive everyday. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-bs-orioles-flaherty-20180225-story.html

This is insane. The owner shouldn't have to approve a minor league deal for a utility infielder. The GM should just be able to do it. Let the people you hire do their job.

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

This is insane. The owner shouldn't have to approve a minor league deal for a utility infielder. The GM should just be able to do it. Let the people you hire do their job.

I wish Angelos would retire and let his sons take over for him. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the owner needs a ton of time.

I think the owner takes a ton of time.  Most of the time is the probably the paperwork just sitting on his desk.

But we already know all of this, I mean sure we didn't know about Goins specifically but by this point I just assume stuff like this is happening.

C'mon CoC, let the poor Orioles fan vent...

This is probably why Arrieta, Lynn, and Cobb remain unsigned.   Waiting for Angelos to approve their deals.

But seriously this is what annoys me so much about Angelos.  Why does he even need to know about these deals?  Much less sign off on them.   If he micro manages at such a level at least he could respond in a timely fashion.  

I think the Astros complained about. orioles going dark for several hours during the trade line last year.  Probably waiting for OK from Angelos to deal Britton which no response came.  

Give the GM a budget and if it isn't a multi year deal the owner shouldn't have to approve whom you sign.  

24 minutes ago, cimota said:

This is probably why Arrieta, Lynn, and Cobb remain unsigned.   Waiting for Angelos to approve their deals.

But seriously this is what annoys me so much about Angelos.  Why does he even need to know about these deals?  Much less sign off on them.   If he micro manages at such a level at least he could respond in a timely fashion.  

I think the Astros complained about. orioles going dark for several hours during the trade line last year.  Probably waiting for OK from Angelos to deal Britton which no response came.  

Give the GM a budget and if it isn't a multi year deal the owner shouldn't have to approve whom you sign.  

Exactly. Why is the owner involved in the day-to-day? I understand an owner getting involved for a big deal - but a minor league deal for a utility infielder?

Do we seriously have Jerry Jones for an owner?

This type of nonsense has been going on since the 90’s and is typical Angelos.  I think his problem is that he doesn’t trust anyone, and that is why moves that should be easy to make and get done in a timely fashion rarely do, because every potential deal has to come across his desk and get his stamp of approval.  Even seemingly minor ones like a 1 year deal for Flaherty or Goins.  The paperwork could sit on Angelos’ desk for weeks, because he still runs his law firm, which takes up most of his time.  And if you tell him there’s a deadline to respond, he’s even more likely to take his time because he won’t let anyone dictate the pace and terms to him.  His combination of stubbornness, distrust, and overanalysis is what makes him so difficult to deal with, especially in a business like baseball that requires a lot of quick decision making.

You would think by now, especially at his advanced age, he would trust his sons to make decisions on his behalf, knowing that he’s not capable or willing to respond in a timely fashion.  Or like most reasonable owners, he would set a budget and allow his GM/baseball people to work within that budget however they see fit, without ownership interference.  It’s one thing if it’s a major financial decision that could impact the budget for many years, such as a deal for Machado.  The owner should obviously be involved in a deal of that magnitude.  But otherwise, for your run of the mill type of contracts, there shouldn’t be any need for his involvement.

Unfortunately, until PA is out of the ownership picture, this ridiculousness is going to continue, because he’s too set in his ways to change.  Any success we have had recently has been in spite of PA, not because of anything he has done or changed since the 14 straight losing seasons.

Archived