This is a joke

eddie83

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, theocean said:

Exactly. Why is the owner involved in the day-to-day? I understand an owner getting involved for a big deal - but a minor league deal for a utility infielder?

Do we seriously have Jerry Jones for an owner?

No, Jerry won three championships. We have a guy who has not won even one!

Unfortunately, this is why the Orioles have lost so much over the years he has been owner and it is also the reason that a new streak has now begun with no obvious direction in mind. I really hope that Angelos is planning to sell the team because it would be the best decision he's made since becoming owner.

I've argued on here in the past to little agreement that DD isn't really the GM here. The GM in Baltimore doesn't make decisions, he makes suggestions. He has no real power. It's no wonder DD wanted to go to Toronto. I was mad about it at the time, but now I don't blame him for wanting to get out of here. As a matter of fact, why would any player who is serious about his career want to come to Baltimore for the foreseeable future? This is a sinking ship.

DD makes suggestions, Buck makes suggestions, Brady makes suggestions and who knows who else makes suggestions. Didn't Jones say he has spoken to ownership about signing players as well? This team is PA's creation, not DD's creation. PA decides which suggestions will be implemented and which won't be. I don't believe for one second that avoiding the IFA is, in ANY way, DD's idea or his vision. Until ownership changes in Baltimore, we will never be World Series champions and that includes anyone in the Angelos family. At this rate, we will rival the record the Cubs set.

If Angelos really does sell (and I hope he does), distancing itself from the Angelos family is the best thing that could possibly happen to this franchise.

2 hours ago, SeaBird said:

The Phillies gave Flaherty a THREE WEEK deadline to accept the deal.  Three weeks  and that wasn't enough time to get ownership's approval?

Maybe the O's didn't want him back and let him see the writing on the wall.  I dunno.

13 hours ago, SeaBird said:

The Phillies gave Flaherty a THREE WEEK deadline to accept the deal.  Three weeks  and that wasn't enough time to get ownership's approval?

On a milb deal?  That’s terrible. Our biggest IF question mark is 3B. Flaherty played a heck of a 3B in 2014. 

Goins would have been a nice little addition too. He can play SS at the MLB level. AL east experience. Some pop. Ruben Tejeda is a below average athlete with an average to below average arm. 

Flaherty was obviouslu a Buck guy. Maybe Buck has thrown in the towel on moves. He can’t even get his UTIL IF signed. 

How the heck do we come together and draft three guys in a rule 5 draft but can’t sign a Util IF  in 21 days?  

As I’ve written, they really liked Ryan Goins, who lost patience and took a minor league deal with the Royals, and they tried to put together a late proposal for Ryan Flaherty before he signed a minor league deal with the Phillies. They aren’t satisfied that their utility infielder on opening day resides on their camp roster.

Flaherty has an opt-out in late March and the Orioles still like him. They could turn to Adam Rosales if he loses the utility battle to Flaherty over in Clearwater.

An issue all along has centered on how much the Orioles want to spend on a player who may not be on the field for many innings and many games, though a major league deal was possible for Goins. They were debating Goins versus Flaherty, the latter on a minor league contract. No proposals were rejected by ownership.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/orioles-remain-open-to-signing-a-starting-pitcher.html

56 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is the Orioles counter to the Encina column. 

Encina never reported that Angelos rejected any deal, just that  neither deal was approved.  

Ed Encina brought this up a couple of weeks ago. It did not get the play on MLBTR like this report did. Now that it is gotten more play the Orioles had the MASN PR guy sort of but not really dispute  it. Even though in this or the newer article it does not say ownership rejected the offer.

The Orioles attempted to bring back Flaherty, but their efforts weren’t enough to keep him as he signed a minor league deal with the Philadelphia Phillies. They also pursued infielder Ryan Goins to make him the utility man, but he signed a minor league deal with the Kansas City Royals. The fact that both players signed minor league deals with other clubs is disturbing. Intent to acquire both was there, but it indicates the team wasn’t able to make offers in a timely manner.

The Orioles also missed out on right-hander Mike Fiers, who had been nontendered by the Houston Astros, when he chose to sign a one-year, $6 million deal with the rebuilding Detroit Tigers this past week over a reported two-year offer from the Orioles, according to ESPN. Fiers, 32, turned down guaranteed money for a second year for a one-year deal that gives him the opportunity to earn a raise through the arbitration process next year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-spring-20180211-story.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-meetings-20171210-story.html

Archived