Starting Pitching-What if?

Bahama O's Fan

In a purely hypothetical scenario, what if Gausman and Bundy pitch like true aces? What if Tillman has a comeback year? What is Cashner pitches to his career averages? What if our #5 pitches like an average #5? If all that were to happen, where do you see our team going this season?

27 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

3rd place in the AL East.

Yeah, but what if, in addition to the things listed in the OP:

1.   Stanton and Judge have a head on collision and both miss the entire season;

2.   Severino needs TJ surgery;

3.   Betts mysteriously slumps and only hits .200;

4.   Sale needs TJ surgery;

5.   J.D. Martinez begins to age very poorly and looks like 2017 Jose Bautista;

6.   Tim Beckham is another Manny at 3B and Manny is another Andrelton Simmons at SS?

What then, huh?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, but what if, in addition to the things listed in the OP:

1.   Stanton and Judge have a head on collision and both miss the entire season;

2.   Severino needs TJ surgery;

3.   Betts mysteriously slumps and only hits .200;

4.   Sale needs TJ surgery;

5.   J.D. Martinez begins to age very poorly and looks like 2017 Jose Bautista;

6.   Tim Beckham is another Manny at 3B and Manny is another Andrelton Simmons at SS?

What then, huh?

Second behind the Blue Jays and finishing just a game behind the Twins for the second wild card.

(Turns out Vlad jr and Bo Bichette finish 1 and 2 in both the RoY and MVP race)

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Second behind the Blue Jays and finishing just a game behind the Twins for the second wild card.

(Turns out Vlad jr and Bo Bichette finish 1 and 2 in both the RoY and MVP race)

C’mon, be realistic!

Everyone who had a winning record made the playoffs last year.  It will be interesting to see how the landscape has changed this year.  I could see the Birds winning 85, but just as easily see them winning 75.  Would be nice to have another established starter.

13 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Everyone who had a winning record made the playoffs last year.  It will be interesting to see how the landscape has changed this year.  I could see the Birds winning 85, but just as easily see them winning 75.  Would be nice to have another established starter.

I jus hate we’re going into a season with such an obvious hole on the roster. Last year was brutal to watch because of the SP. 

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

In a purely hypothetical scenario, what if Gausman and Bundy pitch like true aces? What if Tillman has a comeback year? What is Cashner pitches to his career averages? What if our #5 pitches like an average #5? If all that were to happen, where do you see our team going this season?

It is always about the starting pitching ever since time immemorial.  If our starters greatly outperform expectations, we will win the division.  But that is a huge if....sort of like, if Penelope Cruz says run away with me, then I will.  

27 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is always about the starting pitching ever since time immemorial.  If our starters greatly outperform expectations, we will win the division.  But that is a huge if....sort of like, if Penelope Cruz says run away with me, then I will.  

Then, you will have Javier Bardem chasing you, which might not end well.

7 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

To the playoffs.  

Archived