Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Legend_Of_Joey

47 minutes ago, weams said:

It appears that the shift proves that they cannot hit it where they wish. 

What is funny about the shift, usually the third baseman plays the shortstop position unless there is a runner on when it is a lefty batting. The same position they moved him from...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

He appears to be right where he needs to be, in the upper levels of the Minors.

Last year, he struggled after his promotion from Advanced-A Frederick to AA-Bowie. This season, his numbers at the AA-level are very good (not spectacular, but very solid.)

Let him continue to progress at his pace, as there is no rush for him to come to the Orioles anytime soon.

o

For a 1B or a corner OF which is what Mountcastle will probably be in the pros, an .800 OPS in the minors isnt very good. As a SS its great, but he wont be playing SS.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

For a 1B or a corner OF which is what Mountcastle will probably be in the pros, an .800 OPS in the minors isnt very good. As a SS its great, but he wont be playing SS.

In his defense, he’s still young. He’s over three years younger than the average player in AA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

In his defense, he’s still young. He’s over three years younger than the average player in AA. 

Went 2-4 with 2 K's tonite but also hit his 4th HR so his OPS will be rising still. 

3 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

How MLB ready is his bat ???

3 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

He is currently slashing .297/.347/.462.

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

He appears to be right where he needs to be, in the upper levels of the Minors.

Last year, he struggled after his promotion from Advanced-A Frederick to AA-Bowie. This season, his numbers at the AA-level are very good (not spectacular, but very solid.)

Let him continue to progress at his pace, as there is no rush for him to come to the Orioles anytime soon.

o

29 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

For a 1B or a corner OF which is what Mountcastle will probably be in the pros, an .800 OPS in the minors isn't very good. As a SS its great, but he wont be playing SS.

o

He asked if his bat was MLB ready.

I answered. 

He's doing fine for a 21 year-old player in his first full season at the AA-Level (considerably better than last season after his promotion from Advanced-A to AA for the final 1/3 of said season), and there is no need to rush him to the Orioles anytime soon.

o

On 6/7/2018 at 4:00 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Based on the fact they ran Beckham and Valencia out there at 3rd, his defense could be right where they want it too.

Would Mountcastle be unable to play a decent 2B because of his weak arm or a lack of range or inability to catch the ball? I recognize that we have a 2Bman, but there's a good chance we won't have one  much longer. 

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Would Mountcastle be unable to play a decent 2B because of his weak arm or a lack of range or inability to catch the ball? I recognize that we have a 2Bman, but there's a good chance we won't have one  much longer. 

He can catch decently enough. I just don't think he will have that much range. Don't think he would be good at turning a double play either, as he wasn't real good in Frederick and I doubt he has worked on it more.

• Thanks 1

My hope for how our bats get on the field for the next good team is that Mountcastle v. Mancini 1B defense is the battle, and loser goes to DH.  Were I Mountcastle's life coach, I'd have him training his brain to beat the DH penalty, and to squash the automatic ballplayer complaints about the role.

• 3 weeks later...

Seem that he took Buck's words to heart.  If this keeps up, we may see him in August or September, assuming Beckham slides back over to SS when Manny is traded.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/06/bowie-notes-on-hays-akin-mountcastle-and-more.html

"Baysox third baseman Ryan Mountcastle is drawing more walks this year and has 14 in 45 games. Last season he had 17 in 127 games all year. Mountcastle, who is hitting .309 in 45 games, drew two more walks last night. His bat has been hot, although he went 0-for-2 Monday. But over his past seven games, he is 14-for-26 (.538) and over his last 11 games he is batting .405 (17-for-42).

“I’m just staying within my approach lately,” Mountcastle said. “I feel good and am seeing the ball well. Just trying to hit the ball hard. I try not to think too much when I’m struggling or doing well. I just try to play hard every day. It’s a cruel sport and I know it can completely turn around in one game, but I just have to go out there and stay level-headed.”

Kendall said Moutcastle has made some gains on defense at third base as well.

“I think he’s getting better,” Kendall said. “He’s reading hops better and I think his arm is getting a little better. We’re trying to get him to get rid of the ball faster. He made a couple of nice plays on some in-between hops recently. I see progress from a year ago, yeah.”

Mountcastle made a couple of nice plays last night including one to end the game on a backhand stop along the line to get the final out."