Alex Cobb Once Saved a Stray Dog that was Running in Traffic

OFFNY

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Kevin Brown was only a one year contract and did decent but not amazing. Jimmy Key gave us one great season, got married in the offseason, and was never the same again. 

We historically have had bad luck with free agent starters. Maybe that's why we are drafting pitchers like they are going out of style in the drafts the last few years.

Yeah, I was grasping for straws. I knew those two did relatively well, for only one year. That's all I could think of though. Sad.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm trying to think. Have the Orioles ever signed a MLB starting pitcher as a free agent to a significant contract and he ended up performing well for them?

Chen may be the best free agent starter they ever signed. 

Agreed. For every halfway decent signing like Scott Erickson, it seems like there are three or four Sid Fernandez disaster stories.

2 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Did we get him in a trade with the Twins, or sign him? I know Lenny Webster was his personal catcher and he rollerbladed with Brady down the streets of Bmore. 

Right, but he was only under team control for a year.

Now I wasn't following the O's that closely when it happened but I'm pretty sure he hit free agency before he decided to stay with the team.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Did we get him in a trade with the Twins, or sign him? I know Lenny Webster was his personal catcher and he rollerbladed with Brady down the streets of Bmore. 

He was acquired in a trade for Scott Klingenback.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

That dog needs to save Alex from the Toronto Dome...man, where is that pitcher that used to kick our butt when he pitched against us? This guy is not him.  

You could say that about every pitcher we face this season.

The first two runs off Cobb were due to poor fielding behind him and bad luck (the slow roller that didn't go foul, Mancini not getting to the ball in time in left and Peterson not even trying).   I didn't see it, but I heard on sportstalk radio that he was yelling into his glove after the inning.   Did his disgust at that inning somehow affect his composure?   Because after that he was garbage.   Batting practice.

We're well into downhill snowball time here.  This team will end with the worst record in MLB.  The players know it.  Any chance at playing meaningful baseball is long gone and the team could/should be dismantled soon.  The give-a-damn is gone from most/all of them save for Manny who wants to get paid.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• You would think the Rays are going to have a selloff if they aren't playoff team at the deadline.  They stretched their budget this year, and are not going to lose money to miss the playoffs by 2 games. 
    • Trading HK and Norby is leftovers but 4 non-top 100 prospects gets Gausman.  Every market is different, but sounds like your just circling wagons around a cliche.
    • I think you’re having trouble getting an answer because you’re making a comparison that isn’t particularly apt. Grayson is 24 years old. Shōta turns 31 in a couple months, and he’s got 1200+ professional innings on his arm (on top of a full college career). You also have two years of pre-arb left with Grayson, followed by three years of arbitration. Something like 5/$35M. Assuming Shōta’s 2025 option gets exercised (which should be the hope, because it would mean he’s been healthy and pitching like the “ace” that you’re calling him), you’re looking at something in the realm of 4/$70M. So one fewer year at twice the cost. They're not particularly comparable. You’re talking about a kid who has yet to even enter his prime and a veteran who is starting to approach the end of his. The respective returns for the two would presumably be pretty different — and that’s without even addressing the issue that you’d very likely be buying Shōta at the absolute peak of his value right now.
    • I actual prefer a one o’clock game Sunday. We get the extra rest. The Yankees will be playing and then hopping in their beds around 2 AM.
    • What about the Rays? I know it’s hard to trade in division. They need offense and you could kill 2 birds with one stone. Zach Efflin and Jason Adam would solve both starter and bullpen issues. Rays may be extra incentivized to get rid of Efflin contract.
    • Let’s be clear. He’s pitching like an ace THIS YEAR. this is his first year in mlb and he was considered a back end starter when he was signed.  No one rational would say a 2.5 month performance in your first year in MLB requires the number one prospect in baseball PLUS MORE! Respectfully it’s lunacy.
    • I’m not saying we can’t trade for Scott. Or that we shouldn’t trade for someone. More that we basically already have one reliever we don’t have to trade for. But a guy who will likely have a relatively high whip due to command issues but have a well above average k rate… I also just don’t love rentals in general. Hit or miss as to whether they perform well anyway (hey jack flaherty) and then it’s gone. If you don’t win that year it’s all for nothing. For the right cost I’m okay with it, but I don’t want to give up a major prospect for a rental unless it’s the piece that puts us over the top 
  • Popular Contributors