Adding Alex Cobb Allows Orioles To Change Manny Trade Terms

section18

Adding Alex Cobb to the starting rotation allows the Orioles to change their trade demands for Manny Machado.  We no longer need two starters back in a trade package for him.  Which team will now step forward and put the best offer on the table?  Will we demand a 3B or SS back in a trade. Will Beckham move back to SS or stay at 3B? It's too early to tell but I would think he would move back to SS.  Who has the best 3B prospect available? Devers with Boston or Andujar with the NYY?  I think Divers is the better player.  What else would we want from them?  One starter in case Tillman is not able to come back? I hope Tillman is successful but expect us to still demand a starter back from the other team. We no longer need two starters.  New rumors will start soon. Will Arizona or the Dodgers step up to the plate and eliminate the fans in Baltimore having to watch Manny in a Boston or NYY uniform at least for one year? The big question is will they move Manny before Opening Day to maximize the return or wait to the trade deadline? 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is completely irrelevant now unless the O's are way out of it come June or July.  You don't sign Alex Cobb to the richest SP deal in team history and then trade away your overall best player before the games even start.

If we crash and burn though, this is totally a fair topic to bring up......but let's see how far the boys can go this year first.

8 hours ago, section18 said:

Adding Alex Cobb to the starting rotation allows the Orioles to change their trade demands for Manny Machado.  We no longer need two starters back in a trade package for him.  Which team will now step forward and put the best offer on the table?  Will we demand a 3B or SS back in a trade. Will Beckham move back to SS or stay at 3B? It's too early to tell but I would think he would move back to SS.  Who has the best 3B prospect available? Devers with Boston or Andujar with the NYY?  I think Divers is the better player.  What else would we want from them?  One starter in case Tillman is not able to come back? I hope Tillman is successful but expect us to still demand a starter back from the other team. We no longer need two starters.  New rumors will start soon. Will Arizona or the Dodgers step up to the plate and eliminate the fans in Baltimore having to watch Manny in a Boston or NYY uniform at least for one year? The big question is will they move Manny before Opening Day to maximize the return or wait to the trade deadline? 

Ok, Ill play.  The original premise is that signing Cobb changes the ask the Orioles would have if the phone rang today and someone wanted to make an offer for Manny.  The answer is sure, of course it does...now the Orioles may ask for merely one very highly rated prospect nearly ready or currently ready.  The answer is that the Orioles will still not receive that offer thereby answering your big question.  Manny will be at SS on opening day and that is as certain as anything in sports.  *

* This statement is not to be relied upon and the author assumes no responsibility for any legal or gambling considerations.  The author in no way believes that Manny will be traded today, any more than he believed that Virginia would not be crushed by UMBC in the opening round of the NCAA Tourney.  But still he does intend to imply that while you can in fact, bet the house that Manny is at SS for Baltimore when the season opens.  He just emphatically suggests that you don't make that wager.  

The Cobb signing indicates that the O's will go for it this year, so I don't see them trading Machado any time soon.  The big questions is, what will the O's do if they are out of the running at the end of July?  Will the O's decide to rebuild or will they continue to keep their current course and not be active sellers?  If the O's decide to rebuild, then they would not only have Machado to trade, but Cobb could also be traded for some prospects.  The Cobb signing does two things: it takes care of a major hole in the rotation or it could also net us some prospects if the O's collapse.

1 minute ago, harp6 said:

The Cobb signing indicates that the O's will go for it this year, so I don't see them trading Machado any time soon.  The big questions is, what will the O's do if they are out of the running at the end of July?  Will the O's decide to rebuild or will they continue to keep their current course and not be active sellers?  If the O's decide to rebuild, then they would not only have Machado to trade, but Cobb could also be traded for some prospects.  The Cobb signing does two things: it takes care of a major hole in the rotation or it could also net us some prospects if the O's collapse.

There are many posters in OH, that are proponents of being active sellers if the team is out of it.

Based on what DD has said in the past, he and the organization are a not a fan of getting at least something for nothing. He has said if you examine the deals made, typically the seller ends up in worse shape.  Not, saying I am totally in agreement with this, but at the end of the day, the brain trust trio that run the team will do what they want to do.

This notion of trading Manny needs to be shelved now...  who is to say Baltimore won’t sign Manny??  For the past months OH’ers have done nothing but bitch about the front office and look what’s happened?  They went out and got one of the better (if not the best fit) starting pitchers.  They secured a solid middle rotation pitcher... the bullpen looks great (once again)... and our lineup is locked and loaded.

You guys need to chill out and live in the moment.  Enjoy this season.  Stop whining about the future.  

Let it happen.

I'll just throw it out there and get wild and crazy.  What if they actually offer Manny 10/300?  With the commitment they've shown With Cobb and Cashner, does this signify to Manny that this is a team willing to put its money where its mouth is to be a winning team?  Do they actually now make a legit offer to keep Manny?

I'd still weight the chances heavily to him leaving, but I think they've shifted a bit.  Before the Cobb deal, I'd have put the chances of him leaving at about 95% - maybe even higher.  Now I'm starting to wonder.  If they let Adam, Britton, and Brach go, they're going to have a lot of young guys making peanuts like Mancini, Hays, Mullins, Sisco, etc.  My god, what if they actually keep Manny?!?!?!?!?

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'll just throw it out there and get wild and crazy.  What if they actually offer Manny 10/300?  With the commitment they've shown With Cobb and Cashner, does this signify to Manny that this is a team willing to put its money where its mouth is to be a winning team?  Do they actually now make a legit offer to keep Manny?

I'd still weight the chances heavily to him leaving, but I think they've shifted a bit.  Before the Cobb deal, I'd have put the chances of him leaving at about 95% - maybe even higher.  Now I'm starting to wonder.  If they let Adam, Britton, and Brach go, they're going to have a lot of young guys making peanuts like Mancini, Hays, Mullins, Sisco, etc.  My god, what if they actually keep Manny?!?!?!?!?

Darn, sounds like the Orioles might actually have a game plan afterall. :)

Archived