The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

Game 97, July 15

This game ended on a 9-4-2 relay play to the plate.    I have to say, Mark Trumbo did a nice job getting to the ball, which had sliced into foul territory and then took a weird hop off the metal shed in the corner, and making a quick, accurate throw to Schoop, who made an absolutely perfect one hop throw to the plate from short RF.     Maybe the best defensive play I’ve seen from Trumbo.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fry deserved much better. Who is the official scorer! How in the world was that a walk off single; both Nunez and Beckham should have been hit with a error. Beckham didn't look like a MLB defender that inning. It's amazing how almost nothing is called an error anymore, it drives me crazy.

This has to be the worst defensive team I have ever seen at the MLB level.

6 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Fry deserved much better. Who is the official scorer! How in the world was that a walk off single; both Nunez and Beckham should have been hit with a error. Beckham didn't look like a MLB defender that inning. It's amazing how almost nothing is called an error anymore, it drives me crazy.

This has to be the worst defensive team I have ever seen at the MLB level.

Agree. Not sure what the scorer was watching, but Beckham had two errors that inning. Fry looked great and gets the loss due to our terrible defense.

14 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree. Not sure what the scorer was watching, but Beckham had two errors that inning. Fry looked great and gets the loss due to our terrible defense.

There has been a lot of that this season.  The O's have to fix the defense this off season.

15 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

This is one reason the advanced metrics are superior to conventional metrics.    You either made the play or you didn’t.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

This is one reason the advanced metrics are superior to conventional metrics.    You either made the play or you didn’t.   

The first play is the one that is completely unacceptable. Errors will happen, like the game winner going under his glove. But the first one that opened the door was due to Beckham having no idea about the game going on around him and trying to rush that play for no reason. The catcher was running, so he had plenty of time to set himself and make an accurate throw.

It’s mental errors like this all year in all facets of the game that make me think Buck has lost the team and we need a new manager next season.

So I have been saying since the day of the trade that Tim Beckham is not a ML starter

and yet there were folks angry that Manny wanted to play SS, and thought somehow that it would be better to have Beckham at SS

We couldn't get Tobias Myers or a like prospect back for Beckham today.

After his tenure with the O's his ML career will be over.

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

Earlier Beckham flubbed an easy grounder playing in the shift on the other side of second. So that's 3 for the game. 

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Well, it's been 1 game since Manny left. Beckham at SS cost us the game.

46 minutes ago, weams said:

Or did he keep the O's in it ??? 

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

He did hit a 2-run homer in the 5th inning, which put us up by a score of 2-1. I'll give him credit for that. 

o

He gave on one side of the ball, and he took away on the other side.

It's a team game, and the 2018 Orioles are losers that have found ways to lose games much more often than not ........ with or without Manny Machado, with or without Tim Beckham, etc.

o

24 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

He gave on one side of the ball, and he took away on the other side.

It's a team game, and the 2018 Orioles are losers that have found ways to lose games much more often than not ........ with or without Manny Machado, with or without Tim Beckham, etc.

o

Let's be real. The game was lost by Dylan Bundy. The end. Everyone else gave it a try. 

Beckham is not a good shortstop or third baseman. But he's faced the further handicap of being brought in to play short, moved to third and then back to short. 

I wonder what (if anything) the Orioles did, or what Beckham did, especially over the All-Star break, to prepare him to be the everyday shortstop.

Archived