The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

Houston didn't play great defense either, but this series was full of plays where a faster or better defender would have saved us runs. 

I'm wondering if defense might wind up a bigger problem for us than the SP staff. 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Houston didn't play great defense either, but this series was full of plays where a faster or better defender would have saved us runs. 

I'm wondering if defense might wind up a bigger problem for us than the SP staff. 

I've been saying that since last year. Putrid OF defense, Beckham at 3B, a pitching staff that doesn't miss bats. Recipe for 90+ losses

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Defense cost us the game today. 

Beckham does not throw to the plate with the runner only halfway. 1 run. 

Santander throws to infield and Manny cant catch it. 1 more run.

Game over.

And I think a lot of MLB left fielders would have gotten to the game winning hit that Mancini let fall in front. 

Swapping Machado and Beckham has been a net negative so far. We'll see if they can adapt and change that. 

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I've been saying that since last year. Putrid OF defense, Beckham at 3B, a pitching staff that doesn't miss bats. Recipe for 90+ losses

I do think it's funny you made sure to mention Beckham but didn't mention the issues Manny has been having.

14 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What happened on the Santander throw to Machado?

On the radio, they were saying it was Machados fault for not catching the throw but the error went to Santander.

Santanders throw was a little bit high. Manny made a halfhearted reach for it and it bounced off his glove and got away run scored. 

17 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What happened on the Santander throw to Machado?

On the radio, they were saying it was Machados fault for not catching the throw but the error went to Santander.

Santander's throw was errant to Manny's right and bounced off his glove to the infield.  He could have made the catch possibly if he stretched a bit, but it was wide and a judgment call, IMO.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Heck I've been pointing out the declining defense for longer than a year.  Bandwaggoner!

Doppelganger. Buck cares about defense and always puts his best defense on the field.Bordick says one more time that the Orioles have the best defense in baseball,I will go crazy.And harder working 

7 minutes ago, Natty said:

Santanders throw was a little bit high. Manny made a halfhearted reach for it and it bounced off his glove and got away run scored. 

Altuve advanced to third and scored when next batter hit a soft grounder to Bundy.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Doppelganger. Buck cares about defense and always puts his best defense on the field.Bordick says one more time that the Orioles have the best defense in baseball,I will go crazy.And harder working 

LOL - it's a "work in progress"....

Archived