Reimold: Brrrrrrr.....

Frobby

Tony, I've never seen Reimold and don't know diddley about scouting. But isn't the big decline in strikeouts a significant factor in his favor? If he was still fanning a quarter of the time, I'd completely concur with your observations about a lack of instinct.But doesn't the big drop in strikeouts, and at least some improvement in walks mean an improvement in batting eye? And could that mean a development of better instincts perhaps?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony, I've never seen Reimold and don't know diddley about scouting. But isn't the big decline in strikeouts a significant factor in his favor? If he was still fanning a quarter of the time, I'd completely concur with your observations about a lack of instinct.But doesn't the big drop in strikeouts, and at least some improvement in walks mean an improvement in batting eye? And could that mean a development of better instincts perhaps?
I agree with you completely.

The fact that he's continued to be able to hit very well (recent slump aside) while completely changing his approach at the plate and cutting down on the K's is quite impressive.

I'm more convinced of his prospect status today than I was coming into the season. But I'd still like to see him promoted to Norfolk as soon as he gets going again.

I agree with you completely.

The fact that he's continued to be able to hit very well (recent slump aside) while completely changing his approach at the plate and cutting down on the K's is quite impressive.

I'm more convinced of his prospect status today than I was coming into the season. But I'd still like to see him promoted to Norfolk as soon as he gets going again.

He is getting a little old though. He'll be 25 this off season. You would think if he doesn't stick withthe big club next year, his hopes of being a regular MLB player will start to fade.

I haven't seen Reimold play in 2 years. Does anyone know if he's changed his stance at all??? What I noticed when I saw him play in Frederick was that he seemed to lean towards the pitcher too much when he was hitting. He just didn't look like a guy who could make it in the Majors with that kind of stance. Just my 1/2 a cent on the subject. I agree though with whoever posted his k numbers that, that is a great sign for the future. He needs to be given a real shot next spring to make the team too...

Reimold has age but he's also missed a lot of development time w/injuries, both at Bowie and Frederick.
True, he has missed some time, but he hasn't exactly moved quickly. I definitely think that if he needs to show he can stick in the majors by the end of the 2009 season, though. That's why I think he needs to be in Norfolk shortly and in Baltimore by August or September.

I haven't seen Reimold play in 2 years. Does anyone know if he's changed his stance at all??? What I noticed when I saw him play in Frederick was that he seemed to lean towards the pitcher too much when he was hitting. He just didn't look like a guy who could make it in the Majors with that kind of stance.

Here's a look from June 8th (6/8/08) in Harrisburg:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTVt1x3ZQsU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTVt1x3ZQsU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can you see a difference?

Everyone is allowed their opinion, but I would hope there's a little bit of difference between a fan's opinion and my opinion.

Trust me when I say my opinion is not a lonely one from a scouting standpoint. It's shared by many folks who do this for a living.

Saying that, no one ever questioned whether or not Reimold is having fun out there or even that he shows a lack of effort. I've never seen him not give an effort. That's not an issue at all from my standpoint.

Your opinion, on this or any other matter, has to stand on its own. It's not ever going to be more or less true because it comes from you or because others in the business may think along similar lines.

I went down to Bowie Sunday to check out Reimold, Weiters and Tillman and came back with a few impressions everybody's favorite future LF.

He had an alright game with the bat including a home run. My greatest concerns with him, while I'm not sure how he'll hit at the ML level, is in the field. His defense was horrendous.

Early in the game, an Altoona batter hit a long lofting fly ball that bounced on the warning track directly behind Reimold and it went for a double. Instead of racing back and coming in on the fly ball, he slowly drifted, mistracked it and ended up costing Tillman an out. He also failed to hustle to a few other bloopers to his left and in front of him at other points. Instead, he chose to jog in and let it bounce 3 feet in front of him. Either he got ZERO read off the bat or he didn't care.

Defense was generally very disappointing across the board. In the inning Tillman allowed four runs, Nettles dropped a ground ball, Tucker failed to take two steps to his left and pick up a ground and Reimold and Montanez each didn't hustle to softly hit line drives that could have been outs with any effort at all. Really disappointing.

I went down to Bowie Sunday to check out Reimold, Weiters and Tillman and came back with a few impressions everybody's favorite future LF.

He had an alright game with the bat including a home run. My greatest concerns with him, while I'm not sure how he'll hit at the ML level, is in the field. His defense was horrendous.

Early in the game, an Altoona batter hit a long lofting fly ball that bounced on the warning track directly behind Reimold and it went for a double. Instead of racing back and coming in on the fly ball, he slowly drifted, mistracked it and ended up costing Tillman an out. He also failed to hustle to a few other bloopers to his left and in front of him at other points. Instead, he chose to jog in and let it bounce 3 feet in front of him. Either he got ZERO read off the bat or he didn't care.

Defense was generally very disappointing across the board. In the inning Tillman allowed four runs, Nettles dropped a ground ball, Tucker failed to take two steps to his left and pick up a ground and Reimold and Montanez each didn't hustle to softly hit line drives that could have been outs with any effort at all. Really disappointing.

I've read elsewhere a few times that Reimold doesn't take good routes to the ball. What you say here backs up those reports, and some things Tony has said.

Here's a look from June 8th (6/8/08) in Harrisburg:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTVt1x3ZQsU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTVt1x3ZQsU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can you see a difference?

He looks pretty clean to me. Small sample size, but he gets a little lazy when he gives up on a pitch (his weight is too far forward). I'd like to see the same stride and load regardless of pitch. When he get's higher in the MiL and eventually at the ML-level, he will need pitch ID later in the pitch. Might as well develop the same mechanical approach to each pitch.

His rotation was clean, his hands were on a nice plane -- looked like a nice swing against not-so-advanced pitching? The second hit his weight was out front and he had to hi with all arm. If his distro was more uniform, he may have an easier time staying back and driving the other way.

Just some quick thoughts on the video.

P.S. I saw him hit at the beginning of last year (I think?) and his hands are much better positioned here. He started lower in his load back then and is in much better "power" position in the above.

Archived