Why Buck And Dan Have To Go

Norfolk orioles

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Davis batting 4th is an absolute joke. Buck is just taking the bat out of Manny's hands. Pedro, Trumbo, Jones...ANYONE but Davis is going to give us more there. I have been a moderate defender of Buck over the years but that would seem to be a firable offense in itself.

Araujo...what can I say? He and Wright should have finished the Tillman game. Even if Bleier is not available, you still have Brach, Castro. It's like Buck is managing to lose. 

Buck had to save his closer for when his team took the lead.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need to fire DD ASAP and as for Buck, you can fire him now or at the end of the season. At this point, it really doesn’t make a difference. I think they’ll let Buck “resign” after the season.

As for DD, I agree with what others have said. The last thing the O’s want is a lame duck GM making decisions on their future. 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:20 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s a roster that DD didn’t assemble.  Buck is playing the guys on the roster. Whose fault is is that every player is under performing?  

Why does Jones have a .624 OPS?  

I hate to say it but I think Buck lost the clubhouse in the WC game with Ubaldo. Then we played crappy ball in September of last year and it carried over to this year. It seems like the team mentally shut down last September and then couldn’t turn it back on for this year. 

Did Buck really lose the clubhouse or is it more likely that we have a team full of past their prime vets who just aren't very good anymore?  Everyone in the clubhouse is a professional and I seriously doubt that Buck failing to put Britton in the WC game has affected anyone's individual performance.  

That 2016 team was on their way down and lucky to get int the playoffs IMO.  The rebuild should have started in 2017.  We are where we are now because of roster mismanagement, which is still tied to Buck. 

Buck has lost this team. He started losing it after he blew the 1 game playoff to most. I think he started losing it in 2014 when I believe we had the best team in the AL, and he got roasted by Ned Yost of all people.

Then letting Manny pick his position and sit back and watch him make mental mistake after mental mistake and show lack of hustle. I for one can't wait for Buck and Manny to be gone. Manny has all the skills in the world...but his ego and entitlement makes me sick. I'll miss Machados production, but I won't miss Manny.

33 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Did Buck really lose the clubhouse or is it more likely that we have a team full of past their prime vets who just aren't very good anymore?  Everyone in the clubhouse is a professional and I seriously doubt that Buck failing to put Britton in the WC game has affected anyone's individual performance.  

That 2016 team was on their way down and lucky to get int the playoffs IMO.  The rebuild should have started in 2017.  We are where we are now because of roster mismanagement, which is still tied to Buck. 

Buck got outmanaged by Ned Yost.  Buck is a good manager, but to me has always been a little overrated. And if Buck has had the influence on roster decisions like suggested...hes to blame for a roster full of past their prime veteran's also.

I don't even blame DD anymore. It's obvious he has nothing to do with roster moves at this point. Brady and Buck assembled this team. And Brady isn't going anywhere. He will (and already has started) destroy this franchise for the foreseable future.

21 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Buck got outmanaged by Ned Yost.  Buck is a good manager, but to me has always been a little overrated. And if Buck has had the influence on roster decisions like suggested...hes to blame for a roster full of past their prime veteran's also.

I don't even blame DD anymore. It's obvious he has nothing to do with roster moves at this point. Brady and Buck assembled this team. And Brady isn't going anywhere. He will (and already has started) destroy this franchise for the foreseable future.

And not just Ned Yost..but John Gibbons.  Perhaps two of the more clueless managers in baseball.

The piling on Buck is pretty ridiculous IMO.   Win, you’re a genius; lose, you’re a moron.    

That said, there are times you have to shake things up just to see if it will wake the team up.    If they do fire Buck, I won’t criticize the decision, though I doubt it will fix anything.   

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The piling on Buck is pretty ridiculous IMO.   Win, you’re a genius; lose, you’re a moron.    

That said, there are times you have to shake things up just to see if it will wake the team up.    If they do fire Buck, I won’t criticize the decision, though I doubt it will fix anything.   

I'm not sure how it's ridiculous. He's the one managing the worst team in baseball. All indications are that he helped assemble this roster. Of course he warrants a huge chunk of the blame.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your talking about giving up on the Orioles and becoming a Nationals fan.  I don't see why if you are going to desert the team over how badly they are you think we should keep the manager who has lead the team to being so absolutely terribly god awful.  I think a management change makes sense before all the fair-weathered fans become Nationals fans. 

Two undeniable facts. One is that the Orioles' performance in the first 20 percent of the season has been shockingly bad. The second is that Buck has made what look to most of us like some really bad lineup and in-game decisions.

I don't think these two things have much to do with each other.  I could see a connection only if Buck's bad  or dubious decisions, or other stuff Buck has or hasn't  done (like insisting on the Davis and Tillman signings) have had a negative effect on players' performance in ways that I don't know about. I don't have any reason to conclude that's happened. I'm not sure I know what it means to "lose the clubhouse," much less whether Buck has lost this one or what difference it makes to winning or losing games.

If the team is going  to continue on its current, rudderless course for a while, I don't think it matters whether Buck stays on, and I'd be worried about who would want to replace him and who would be chosen to replace him. If Buck were fired tomorrow, I don't even know what his successor would be hired to do: try to right this floundering ship and move it toward the .500 (OK, maybe .400 is more realistic) mark, or preside over a rebuilding process featuring a lot of players who aren't now on the 25-man roster?     

Once the Orioles decide -- if the team is capable of making a rational strategic decision, or any decision at all other than maintaining the status quo --  and commit to begin a rebuilding process, they should acknowledge Buck's contributions to the team and try to work something out with him that keeps him in the organization, or if necessary fire him, and bring in a new manager to work with the young players who are expected to form the core of the next generation of Orioles.

Changes must be made. Too many organizational problems:

— Too many promising minor league players, especially pitchers, traded for delusional playoff hopes

— Too many signings of reclamation projects, necessary because of the previous point

— Too many signings of one dimensional players

— Little success - or effort? - in extending contracts of talent before the siren-call of free agency hits.  I was surprised that Adam Jones re-signed last time.

— Something’s wrong with training, scouting, or conditioning resulting in so many TommyJohn surgeries and other physical problems in developing players

— Failure to develop or acquire a leadoff hitter.  We haven’t had one since Brian Roberts.

— They clearly can’t attract free-agent, ace starters - because of Camden Yards, owner, small market, AL East? - yet see point #1

– They continue to build a team based solely on the home-run, even though history shows that that strategy only goes so far (it can get you to the playoffs, but not very far)

— Giving Chris Davis a 7 year contract looked questionable at the time, downright crazy now

I don’t know how to change this.  Part of the blame is with MLB with no salary cap and guaranteed contracts.  This makes the playing field uncompetitive for smaller market teams.  Clearly the top free-agents ignore the O’s every year and they’re stuck trying to sign the leftovers. 

It would be great if MLB would restructure, getting the O’s out of the AL East. Or even better (absent a salary cap) create an AL North with only the Yankees and Red Sox and let them battle it out with their 1/2 $billion in combined salary.

I’ve toyed with the idea of following the Nats, but I prefer the AL game and I’ve been an O’s fan since the ‘60s.

Sigh.

Archived