Why Buck And Dan Have To Go

Norfolk orioles

5 minutes ago, JazzyJake said:

Let me throw out a name: Rick Dempsey.  He appears to really know the game.

Good or bad choice for manager?  

I'm on the couch with a bag full of popcorn.

This ought to be fun.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

A salary cap won't help if the Orioles continue to spend the money poorly.

True that, but look at the NFL.  Top players know that they can’t hold out indefinitely for more money because each team only has cap-space for a couple (at most) big signings.  This makes decent offers from smaller market teams more attractive; if they pass up an offer from, say, the Detroit Lions, they might not get another as good.  No Mark Teixiera nonsense. The NFL has some support for your theory, the Browns and Jets are perennially bad because of poor choices, but overall teams’ successes rise and fall and most have periods where they are competitive.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Your talking about giving up on the Orioles and becoming a Nationals fan.  I don't see why if you are going to desert the team over how badly they are you think we should keep the manager who has lead the team to being so absolutely terribly god awful.  I think a management change makes sense before all the fair-weathered fans become Nationals fans. 

Jeez, I make a tongue in cheek post about switching to the Nats and suddenly I’m not qualified to give opinions here.   The odds of me switching from the Orioles are about as high as me deciding I’m no longer going to breathe oxygen and am going to switch to living on nitrogen.    

As I said, I won’t object to firing Buck if that’s what management decides.  I just think some of the things he is being faulted for above are out of line.   And I’ve expressed my opinion on those things dozens of times so I won’t do it here.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just mocking Buck, I have no real answers.

Haha, sarcasm detector fail. I actually don't object to holding out the closer on the road, but Araujo makes no sense under any circumstances. Entire bullpen available except Givens. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Haha, sarcasm detector fail. I actually don't object to holding out the closer on the road, but Araujo makes no sense under any circumstances. Entire bullpen available except Givens. 

I think CoC was making a reference  to Bucks refusal to use Britton in the WC game in Toronto 

4 hours ago, JazzyJake said:

Let me throw out a name: Rick Dempsey.  He appears to really know the game.

Good or bad choice for manager?  

Bad, very bad. Flunkie for PA, used to go behind the backs of other managers. Would have poor connection to the clubhouse

Have to make changes before game Tuesday.  Tillman, Joseph, Vielma, Gentry and Álvarez have to go.  Bring up best 2 outfield defenders, activate Schoop, catcher and best starter from Norfolk.  

Bench Davis, move Mancini to 1B, move Jones to a corner.  If we can’t hit anyway, may as well try to defend and play small ball.

2 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

Have to make changes before game Tuesday.  Tillman, Joseph, Vielma, Gentry and Álvarez have to go.  Bring up best 2 outfield defenders, activate Schoop, catcher and best starter from Norfolk.  

Bench Davis, move Mancini to 1B, move Jones to a corner.  If we can’t hit anyway, may as well try to defend and play small ball.

In addition to these changes, having a new manager and GM would be awesome.

Ok, I'm about there with Buck. I don't think it's going to change the Orioles fortunes this year because this team is awful, but Buck may need to go at this point. The man is batting Chris Davis behind his best hitter. That should be a fireable offense in in of itself!

On 5/4/2018 at 9:41 AM, Aristotelian said:

I think Bleier would have been fine in the rotation and I have been saying so since last year. The organization did not even give him a look in spring training. And don't give me "we need him in the bullpen". We can't get anything from him if we are losing 5-0 after the first inning.

Signing Tillman after a terrible 2017 and then sticking with him even after an awful spring was just terrible. Tillman is literally the worst pitcher in MLB since 2017 (#156 out of 156 in MLB with >100 IP).  8.14 ERA. To put it in perspective, Tillman has been even worse than Ubaldo in that period!

You can't tell me that there isn't a guy out there who could be better than that.

Remember, Buck is the guy that determined Andrew Trigg was no good after one spring training outing in 2016 after he was unhittable the year before in Bowie.

Archived