Why Buck And Dan Have To Go

Norfolk orioles

I know this has been suggested in other threads but tonight's game is really the tipping point in all of this.

Tillman being allowed to start yet again is proof Buck just won't get it no matter what. He's been horrendous for nearly 2 full seasons now.

Dan needs to pull the plug and if he won't, he needs to go as well.

But more to the point, Manny has to be traded. We cannot allow the chance/risk that he is injured trying to squeeze every last prospect out of the Dodgers and risk getting nothing. 

I also don't trust that Dan has a good enough eye to make a proper trade anyways.

Nevermind whether they even want to oversee a rebuild which could be entirely unrealistic as well. 

But tonight's "performance" and sweep was enough to drive home the point that this team and its 5 dh's and 1 decent starting pitcher will not be enough to get a wild card and definitely not enough to win the AL East.

Therefore, changes MUST be made and if the "adults" in the organization can't get down with that then they need to go as well.

Enough is enough.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a roster that DD didn’t assemble.  Buck is playing the guys on the roster. Whose fault is is that every player is under performing?  

Why does Jones have a .624 OPS?  

I hate to say it but I think Buck lost the clubhouse in the WC game with Ubaldo. Then we played crappy ball in September of last year and it carried over to this year. It seems like the team mentally shut down last September and then couldn’t turn it back on for this year. 

Of course Tillman was going to start coming off his last outing. I just think big picture wise is more important right now than anything else. Dan and Buck deserve blame but the way the organization operates is the bigger issue.

I heard from someone last night that John Angelos is running the show. Just more confirmation on what we have already heard that Peter isn’t around. I have been listening to Ross Grimsley some on the radio before the games. He is very honest and it is refreshing to hear. He said yesterday about how the team doesn’t have enough scouts. He talked about a week or so ago about how things should start to change inside the organization. 

I think plenty of people know this franchise is ran in an asinine fashion. We have to hope that John unlike his father “gets it”, and does not continue down this same path. This will not be fixed overnight. At some point this franchise needs to start putting people in a position to succeed instead of asking them to overcome a million obstacles. 

I do think we will start to see some minor changes. Tillman is about done. Santander will be down soon. No reason a Tanner Scott should not be in this pen. I would hope by the break the whole DD and Buck saga is clearer as well.  I do not think it is healthy for the image of the franchise to let this linger on. 

I really do wonder what is going on. Yes the club was poorly constructed but it does feel like the season has gone off the rails in a violent fashion. Is it just a coincidence it happens with all this internal drama surrounding the club? I tend to doubt it. 

We will probably have to be patient waiting to see Manny dealt and the kids start to come up. I do think the club will play better and be more entertaining the second half of the season- it would be hard not to be. The rotation should be steady enough to not allow things to get too far out of hand.  I think this has been almost a perfect storm this season, basically the opposite of 2012. That year everything just fit and this year nothing does.  

They are hemorrhaging fans at the ballpark. This club built back a ton of interest since 2012 and they better do their best to keep those people that returned. I still don’t think things are as bad as they look right now as long as they handle the next couple of months properly. They can’t undo all the mistakes but they also can’t continue to compound them either. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn’t DD already gone?  Notice the lack of player acquisitions.  We don’t fire anyone. DD is just sitting in the warehouse with a pen and resume drafts. 

He doesn’t even have internet access. 

Brady show now. He worked out the Tillman,Cobb and Cashner deals. He was instrumental in the O'Day deal. He got Trumbo a partial  no trade clause in his contract. Also even hired the Asst. hitting  coach this year. I am suprised Buck let Brady hire a coach but I  think he   is ready for a change. He does it all. :D

The Orioles vice president of baseball operations reached out to Quinn when there was an opening.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/balitmore-orioles/brady-anderson-influenced-new-assistant-hitting-coach

13 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Brady show now. He worked out the Tillman,Cobb and Cashner deals. He was instrumental in the O'Day deal. He got Trumbo a partial  no trade clause in his contract. Also even hired the Asst. hitting  coach this year. I am suprised Buck let Brady hire a coach but I  think he   is ready for a change. He does it all. :D

The Orioles vice president of baseball operations reached out to Quinn when there was an opening.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/balitmore-orioles/brady-anderson-influenced-new-assistant-hitting-coach

Everyone’s role needs to be clearly defined, especially Brady.  

The circus needs to stop. I have never heard of such an arrangement in my life where someone wields the power he does and has no boss but also isn’t the GM. 

It is pretty evident his -pro player- mindset is not best suited to be a true GM. You can’t salvage everyone. 

Whatever happened to Bucks speeches about having to respect the game?

How is starting the Chris Tilman respecting the game, or his teammates or the fans?

How is starting CD against LH pitching respecting the game, or his teammates or the fans?

How is enabling the boneheaded running and fielding mistakes by Manny Machado respecting the game, his teammates or the fans?

Buck as deservedly lost this clubhouse.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s a roster that DD didn’t assemble.  Buck is playing the guys on the roster. Whose fault is is that every player is under performing?  

Why does Jones have a .624 OPS?  

I hate to say it but I think Buck lost the clubhouse in the WC game with Ubaldo. Then we played crappy ball in September of last year and it carried over to this year. It seems like the team mentally shut down last September and then couldn’t turn it back on for this year. 

I believe you're correct. Didn't Brady play a major role in the construction of this roster? He was the one behind Tillman being brought back and the decision to sign Cobb and a few other roster decisions. Why isn't he getting any blame? 

3 hours ago, weams said:

And who is that one decent starting pitcher?

I think Bleier would have been fine in the rotation and I have been saying so since last year. The organization did not even give him a look in spring training. And don't give me "we need him in the bullpen". We can't get anything from him if we are losing 5-0 after the first inning.

Signing Tillman after a terrible 2017 and then sticking with him even after an awful spring was just terrible. Tillman is literally the worst pitcher in MLB since 2017 (#156 out of 156 in MLB with >100 IP).  8.14 ERA. To put it in perspective, Tillman has been even worse than Ubaldo in that period!

You can't tell me that there isn't a guy out there who could be better than that.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn’t DD already gone?  Notice the lack of player acquisitions.  We don’t fire anyone. DD is just sitting in the warehouse with a pen and resume drafts. 

He doesn’t even have internet access. 

I hear they put him in the basement and took his stapler away. 

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Bleier would have been fine in the rotation and I have been saying so since last year. The organization did not even give him a look in spring training. And don't give me "we need him in the bullpen". We can't get anything from him if we are losing 5-0 after the first inning.

Signing Tillman after a terrible 2017 and then sticking with him even after an awful spring was just terrible. Tillman is literally the worst pitcher in MLB since 2017 (#156 out of 156 in MLB with >100 IP).  8.14 ERA. To put it in perspective, Tillman has been even worse than Ubaldo in that period!

You can't tell me that there isn't a guy out there who could be better than that.

Like I said in another thread.  There is probably someone in an independent league who could pitch better than Tillman.  His only pitch is his curve ball. When he throws his fastball and it is in the zone it is batting practice up there.  

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I believe you're correct. Didn't Brady play a major role in the construction of this roster? He was the one behind Tillman being brought back and the decision to sign Cobb and a few other roster decisions. Why isn't he getting any blame? 

This board celebrated the Cobb acquisition like they won the lotto. Brady doesn’t get “blamed” for that one.

Archived