Why Buck And Dan Have To Go

Norfolk orioles

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This board celebrated the Cobb acquisition like they won the lotto. Brady doesn’t get “blamed” for that one.

I thought Cobb and Cashner were good acquisitions.  My point was even if we were going to be bad you need someone starting games. You can't have 3 Tillmans starting.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I expect Cobb to be fine.  

Yeah, there is a lot of jumping ship on the Cobb signing. I'm not ready to do that just yet. He has a lifetime whip of 1.25 pitching in the AL East his whole career. I'd take that any day of the week.

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This board celebrated the Cobb acquisition like they won the lotto. Brady doesn’t get “blamed” for that one.

So here's the thing. You can't just take credit for the success stories, and pass the buck on the failures. Unless you're Brady Anderson...and your position / responsibilities have not been publicly defined. If wants to be the GM then name him the GM and hold him accountable for everything. 

10 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So here's the thing. You can't just take credit for the success stories, and pass the buck on the failures. Unless you're Brady Anderson...and your position / responsibilities have not been publicly defined. If wants to be the GM then name him the GM and hold him accountable for everything. 

No, sorry, you missed the point. 

If Tillman fails, shame on Brady because everyone here felt he was done except for him.

If Cobb fails, shame on Cobb— Brady made a good move for a good pitcher who’s not holding up his end of the bargain. We all agreed to that Cobb was a good move based upon what we knew at the time. You can’t pile on Brady for not seeing this kind of poor performance out of Cobb.

And yes, Cobb will be fine. At the moment, he is not fine.

So I'm watching the pre-game show last night and they are discussing Cahill's reverse split and that he has the lowest BAA vs LH'ers in the AL.

and Buck's counter move, 5 LH batters, batting consecutively, including CD at #5.

We got shut out

I guess Buck was playing another hunch. Do the O's even  have a sabermetrics guy on the payroll?

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

So I'm watching the pre-game show last night and they are discussing Cahill's reverse split and that he has the lowest BAA vs LH'ers in the AL.

and Buck's counter move, 5 LH batters, batting consecutively, including CD at #5.

We got shut out

I guess Buck was playing another hunch. Do the O's even  have a sabermetrics guy on the payroll?

I'm sure the sabermetrics guy would have told Buck that Cahill's career splits are 704 OPS allowed VS RHB and 756 OPS allowed VS LHB.  (S)He would probably also remind Buck that 10 years of data is generally more of an indication of a trend than 20 innings.

I think the Cobb and Cashner acquisitions were good. The problem was they were too late with not enough time for them to get in shape. We will probably see the good results of those deals later this month, when we are already out of it. The big issue is that we just can't stinking hit right now.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure the sabermetrics guy would have told Buck that Cahill's career splits are 704 OPS allowed VS RHB and 756 OPS allowed VS LHB.  (S)He would probably also remind Buck that 10 years of data is generally more of an indication of a trend than 20 innings.

He is a completely different pitcher than he was when last healthy. His career numbers were from a previous career and were irrelevant, so yes the 20 innings this year when he has an .035 BAA vs LH'ers should have been paid attention too. And Trumbo, Alvarez, Sisco were helpless against the new Cahill and his changeup. Any lineup that has CD at #5 is doomed

11 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He is a completely different pitcher than he was when last healthy. His career numbers were from a previous career and were irrelevant, so yes the 20 innings this year when he has an .035 BAA vs LH'ers should have been paid attention too. And Trumbo, Alvarez, Sisco were helpless against the new Cahill and his changeup. Any lineup that has CD at #5 is doomed

No "sabermetrics" guy is going to tell you to ditch a decade's worth of evidence for 20 innings.  Twenty innings is nothing.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:42 AM, eddie83 said:

Everyone’s role needs to be clearly defined, especially Brady.  

The circus needs to stop. I have never heard of such an arrangement in my life where someone wields the power he does and has no boss but also isn’t the GM. 

It is pretty evident his -pro player- mindset is not best suited to be a true GM. You can’t salvage everyone. 

Brady is probably begging to bring Reimold back. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

We got shut out

I think the sabermetrics guy would have said, "Buck, Your team sucks... it doesn't matter if you insert LH hitters, RH hitters, or have your guys straddle the plate and chop down on the ball."

Davis batting 4th is an absolute joke. Buck is just taking the bat out of Manny's hands. Pedro, Trumbo, Jones...ANYONE but Davis is going to give us more there. I have been a moderate defender of Buck over the years but that would seem to be a firable offense in itself.

Araujo...what can I say? He and Wright should have finished the Tillman game. Even if Bleier is not available, you still have Brach, Castro. It's like Buck is managing to lose. 

Archived