Tillman starting Thursday

Legend_Of_Joey

39 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Listening to Buck tonight he seemed very emotional when he talked about Chris. I think they made a decision.

Watching Chris' post game interview was also tough (link here). His eyes seemed to be watering up. As much as it's painful to watch how his performance has hurt the club,  it's pretty painful to watch the human side of this as well. 

It's easy for us to rail against a guy who clearly shouldn't be pitching in the major leagues right now. But sometimes its good just to take a step back and feel for the guy himself. He knows he's about to lose his job. Sure, he should be set for life. But he's also seen his physical ability simply erode -- and has lost tens of millions of dollars in the process. 

He knows he's hurting this team, knows that the road here is almost over, and that's got to hurt. Imagine trying to save your own job with the pressure of a whole team, a fan base, and also millions of dollars at stake all boring down on you.

Can't be easy -- and then to have to talk about your failure with hot lights and microphones shoved in your face? That's a tough spot. 

He's been a great Oriole. I hope he takes a minor league assignment, hope he gets things worked out, and hope we see him in some serviceable form once again. And if not, I'll miss Chris Tillman. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Santandah said:

Watching Chris' post game interview was also tough (link here). His eyes seemed to be watering up. As much as it's painful to watch how his performance has hurt the club,  it's pretty painful to watch the human side of this as well. 

It's easy for us to rail against a guy who clearly shouldn't be pitching in the major leagues right now. But sometimes its good just to take a step back and feel for the guy himself. He knows he's about to lose his job. Sure, he should be set for life. But he's also seen his physical ability simply erode -- and has lost tens of millions of dollars in the process. 

He knows he's hurting this team, knows that the road here is almost over, and that's got to hurt. Imagine trying to save your own job with the pressure of a whole team, a fan base, and also millions of dollars at stake all boring down on you.

Can't be easy -- and then to have to talk about your failure with hot lights and microphones shoved in your face? That's a tough spot. 

He's been a great Oriole. I hope he takes a minor league assignment, hope he gets things worked out, and hope we see him in some serviceable form once again. And if not, I'll miss Chris Tillman. 

Chris Davis on the other hand? Scr-w that guy. 

?

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

My gut says you haven't seen the last of him.  Not by a long shot.

That gem he twirled a couple starts ago?  Bought a lot of time.

The Orioles....well...

giphy.gif

I have to agree w/ this.  I won't believe he's "done" as an Oriole until they've actually released him.  People were saying similar things about Ubaldo Jimenez pretty much after every start, but he was here for the entirety of his contract.  If they didn't cut bait w/ Ubaldo, I don't see them doing it with Tillman.

10 minutes ago, Elbren said:

I have to agree w/ this.  I won't believe he's "done" as an Oriole until they've actually released him.  People were saying similar things about Ubaldo Jimenez pretty much after every start, but he was here for the entirety of his contract.  If they didn't cut bait w/ Ubaldo, I don't see them doing it with Tillman.

Except Ubaldo's contract was fully guaranteed. Tillmans? They can cut bait now and avoid paying a lot for less than nothing. It is time to move on. I hate it for Tillman, he is a good guy. But he cannot pitch anymore in the majors.

3 hours ago, Elbren said:

There's no way they can let him make his next start.  My gut says they try to stash him in the bullpen for a bit rather than release him.

My guess  is there is an agreement that he goes to Sarasota to strengthen his shoulder.   Whether that is 60 day DL or DFA.    He live in Sarasota.   If they can strengthen his shoulder he can go to Bowie to  show he can still pitch.   He will remain around the O's.  

Archived