Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

Just now, Todd-O said:

This must be the most depressing thread ever... just a bunch of bad assumptions and negativity brewing with little to no actual facts. you read some of the responses and sure makes one wonder:  Why are most of you O's fans?

It ain't because of the owner.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Todd-O said:

This must be the most depressing thread ever... just a bunch of bad assumptions and negativity brewing with little to no actual facts. you read some of the responses and sure makes one wonder:  Why are most of you O's fans?

Seriously? You don’t have to agree with front office to be a fan of the Orioles.

You don’t have to be a baseball executive to see that they screwed the pooch on the Manny situation.

IF HE WASNT EXTENDED HE NEEDED TO BE DEALT PERIOD... That’s how mid market baseball works. The implications of letting Manny walk for nothing will take years to recover from. Especially with the current condition of our money nor league system.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Dodgers are 10 games under .500. They just got back Turner .People are not happy in Dodgerland.Lost to the Reds.Closer to Oriole record then first place. Are they still buying on Manny for a rental that might not help?

Andrew Friedman and Farhan Zaidi are smart. They know the value of young talent. They also don't typically bow to public pressure. They're confident in what they are doing.

I think they wait to see how the next month goes. The Diamondbacks just lost their best hitter and the Dodgers are getting back Turner, like you said. They might be able to turn it around with the pieces that they have.

I don't see the Dodgers giving up Walker Buehler or Alex Verdugo. They still have some good prospects after those two guys - but I could see another team that feels like they have a shorter window outbidding that (Diamondbacks, Indians, Cubs). Also, maybe watch out for the Phillies.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously? You don’t have to agree with front office to be a fan of the Orioles.

You don’t have to be a baseball executive to see that they screwed the pooch on the Manny situation.

IF HE WASNT EXTENDED HE NEEDED TO BE DEALT PERIOD... That’s how mid market baseball works. The implications of letting Manny walk for nothing will take years to recover from. Especially with the current condition of our money nor league system.

Yes.  Seriously.  

Lots of arm chair executives on here slinging around hindsight conclusions as if they were plain as day for years.  It's ridiculous.  

Your statement alone that "if he wasn't extended..." ... I ask you:  where is your proof that they weren't talking behind the scenes?  No one on this forum has real - legit - access to that kind of information.    Where's your proof that they didn't get approached with crap trade offers over a year ago?

This notion that all of us know the inner workings is laughable... but the full blown forum tantrums of over unknowns are pitiful.  Especially ones that dump on the organization as a whole.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes ... if he leaves as a free agent you no longer get the 1st rounder. That changed a couple of seasons ago. It was big news I’m sure you remember?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/11/07/mlb-free-agency-compensation-rules-draft-picks-qualifying-offer

So that's what a team gives up to sign a qualified free agent. But what does the team losing the player gain in exchange?

If your team received revenue sharing last year and the departing player signed a contract worth more than $50 million guaranteed, the former team will receive a compensatory draft pick from the sandwich round between Rounds 1 and 2. If the player signs a deal for less than $50 million, however, that pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B, which comes after Round 2.

But there's more! If the former team was over the luxury tax last year, then it will receive a compensatory draft pick after the fourth round. If the team was neither a luxury tax payee nor a revenue sharing recipient, then it will receive a pick after Competitive Balance Round B.

The compensatory picks have been at the end of the first round since the agreement before this one.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes ... if he leaves as a free agent you no longer get the 1st rounder. That changed a couple of seasons ago. It was big news I’m sure you remember?

Isn't it a pick at the end of the first round if he signs for $50 million or more?

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

Andrew Friedman and Farhan Zaidi are smart. They know the value of young talent. They also don't typically bow to public pressure. They're confident in what they are doing.

I think they wait to see how the next month goes. The Diamondbacks just lost their best hitter and the Dodgers are getting back Turner, like you said. They might be able to turn it around with the pieces that they have.

I don't see the Dodgers giving up Walker Buehler or Alex Verdugo. They still have some good prospects after those two guys - but I could see another team that feels like they have a shorter window outbidding that (Diamondbacks, Indians, Cubs). Also, maybe watch out for the Phillies.

They have White and a bunch of other guys that could work if they chose. 

Just now, VaBird1 said:

Isn't it a pick at the end of the first round if he signs for $50 million or more?

I just posted it.

Basically it varies, if the losing team partakes in revenue sharing it's after the first round, if they don't it is after the second round, if they pay the luxury tax it's after the fourth round.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I just posted it.

Basically it varies, if the losing team partakes in revenue sharing it's after the first round, if they don't it is after the second round, if they pay the luxury tax it's after the fourth round.

So for the O's it's after the 1st, right?

4 minutes ago, Todd-O said:

Yes.  Seriously.  

Lots of arm chair executives on here slinging around hindsight conclusions as if they were plain as day for years.  It's ridiculous.  

Your statement alone that "if he wasn't extended..." ... I ask you:  where is your proof that they weren't talking behind the scenes?  No one on this forum has real - legit - access to that kind of information.    Where's your proof that they didn't get approached with crap trade offers over a year ago?

This notion that all of us know the inner workings is laughable... but the full blown forum tantrums of over unknowns are pitiful.  Especially ones that dump on the organization as a whole.

First, it doesn’t matter if they were talking. I don’t think anyone here would doubt that the Orioles called Machado’s agent and were told he’s not extending before free agency.

The Orioles front office did function is well known in baseball channels. All you have to do is look at the trade agreement and then retracted deal with Houston.

i don’t claim to know what the offers were for Manny this offseason. The fact is the damage of not moving him before last seasons deadline was done. 

You know it was the wrong move as the team was buried in the wild card race and should have been selling.

and thanks for the retaliatory neg rep! Truly classy!

3 minutes ago, Todd-O said:

Yes.  Seriously.  

Surely, you jest.

All public discourse regarding a Machado extension has been mum for quite awhile now. And if you judge the organization by its history of extending players prior to their contractual obligations being reached, you'll conclude that it's rare. You'll further conclude that Machado is very productive offensively and defensively and also very young. He's going to hit the free agent market with 5-7 years of his prime in front of him. In my worthless armchair executive opinion, the only opportunity they had to extend Machado was while he was recovering from surgery. Once he came back from that, they had no chance.

He's gone and everyone knows it. If they were honest with themselves about where they stood vs. the ascending teams in the division, they would have traded he & Britton post-2016. 

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm locked out of this story. Can you cut and paste?

It just says the Cubs pursued him aggressively and look to again this season. That they would play him at SS and that they may think he's the last piece in the puzzle to win another World Series. Then it says it's unknown what the cost of acquisition would be but expect the Cubs to be aggressive.

Archived