Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

32 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

How “guaranteed” are MLB contracts?  

If a player dies is his estate owed the money?  

If he is paralyzed in a horse riding accident is he owed the money?

If they tell him to pitch and he refuses then what?

No I am not wishing those thing for Chris Davis!  (Well maybe the pitching part) 

I am just curious. 

Considering the amount of money involved, the contract may be insured in the case of career ending injury. However, it might be the player's responsibility to insure the contract and the team may be off the hook if the player makes an insurance claim. I'm not certain how those things work though.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree 100%. Start by not playing him vs LHP. Bat him 7th or 8th vs RHP. If he ever makes it back to a full time role, he has to earn it. Make him see every doctor in the book, mental and physical. Unfortunately I don't see them eating the contract completely but there are some thing we can do to at least contain the damage. Basically treat him as a Rule 5 guy that has to stay on the roster so protect him as much as possible.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's the list you are on if you say, throw a bat at another player.  Mostly it is the league that assigns players to the list but teams do have the ability to.

Now if the O's actually tried to put Davis on the list for not being willing to pitch the Union would of course get involved and some form of arbitration would probably follow.

Make him the  catcher in blow out games.   I don't see how the union could arbitrate him playing baseball.  

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Make him the  catcher in blow out games.   I don't see how the union could arbitrate him playing baseball.  

I said the Union would probably get involved if they attempted to put him on the suspended list.

Of course they and Boras both would probably get vocal if they did something like you suggested.

16 hours ago, now said:

Especially if it was Peter's insistence responsible for the deal. Accountability, Karma, whatever you call it. A harsh life lesson for an otherwise successful man. You play big, you win a few big ones... and you lose in like measure... especially if you're in over your head. Tobacco windfall for Davis boondoggle, call it a day.*

In the end, instead of killing the franchise, he can save it.

*"Eventually he settled for $150 million paid over five years." (For the state's tobacco case... after "he reneged on the deal" he had made for a lower fee - LOL) - wikipedia - PA net worth $2.1 b

Everything about the Orioles has been an otherwise harsh lesson for Angelos.  Angelos will be dead before he realizes that he was made to chase ambulances and not pennants.  We can only hope his sons come to the same realization soon and decide to sell the team. 

Horrible decision making

3 sluggers after great years: Davis, Trumbo, Cruz. 

O's brass decides to let Cruz walk and extend Davis and Trumbo to horrible contracts.

Of course this is all moot had we of just kept Markakis

2 minutes ago, cheecks said:

Horrible decision making

3 sluggers after great years: Davis, Trumbo, Cruz. 

O's brass decides to let Cruz walk and extend Davis and Trumbo to horrible contracts.

Of course this is all moot had we of just kept Markakis

Huh?

You think that if they had kept Markakis they wouldn't have extended Davis?

Lot of good discussion in this thread, although it is completely depressing. All I’ll add at this juncture is that I think I read the word “bunt” only a few times in this thread. There is no reason that Chris shouldn’t be bunting at least once a game, maybe more. He clearly can’t hit anymore, but if he can drop a ball down the completely uncovered third base line once a game, he would at least be getting on base. Who knows, maybe they’d shift him less and that could open things up a bit. Obviously not going to fix the core issue of his precipitous decline, but there is absolutely no valid reason he isn’t bunting frequently.

And if I hear an announcer recount the anecdote of an opposing player a couple years back saying they would be happy if CD bunted every single time because he wouldn’t be hitting home runs, I’ll throw my television.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the worst OPS season all time for a player that qualifies for the batting title. How bad is he?  In a historic context?  

Dal Maxvill had an OPS+ of 38 in 1970.  Davis OPS+ is at 42 currently, so he is in the neighborhood.  Davis will probably hit enough home runs to avoid being the lowest ever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maxvida01.shtml

Really, you can't just cut Davis or even not play him just two months into the season.  Yes his contract his terrible, but you have to view it for now as a horrendous slump.  If he's like this all year and then into the beginning of next, then you have to wonder about cutting him or trading him for another bad contract.

But it's not like any changes the Orioles make this year will make them into a contender -- maybe not even for next season.   All you can hope for is that they somehow compete for .500 at some point.  

The idea to trade Davis with Machado is a bad one, unless the organization is desperate, and I mean desperate, to get rid of his contract.  Better to get some decent talent for Machado and figure how to deal with Davis next year.  And better to let Showalter and Angelos wallow in the misery of having to watch Davis bat all season and remember that they pushed for his current contract.  

31 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Dal Maxvill had an OPS+ of 38 in 1970.  Davis OPS+ is at 42 currently, so he is in the neighborhood.  Davis will probably hit enough home runs to avoid being the lowest ever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maxvida01.shtml

Whew..that is pretty bad.  Dal Maxvill was a worse hitter than Mark Belanger. 

Archived