The Case For: Austin Wynns

Legend_Of_Joey

53 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Probably won't see Wynns again until the doubleheader Saturday...Maybe. Buck might start Joseph both games...

I really don't understand Buck with Wynns.  He's playing the young guys but not giving Wynns a chance (pun intended).  Joseph needs more rest than one day a week.  But let's see what we have here.

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I really don't understand Buck with Wynns.  He's playing the young guys but not giving Wynns a chance (pun intended).  Joseph needs more rest than one day a week.  But let's see what we have here.

He has played 3 of the last 7 about what you should expect I’d rather go 4 wynns Joseph 3 but it not been a huge difference.  

I also think they may be trying to build up Joseph trade value down the stretch I could see him moved in August.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He has played 3 of the last 7 about what you should expect I’d rather go 4 wynns Joseph 3 but it not been a huge difference.  

I also think they may be trying to build up Joseph trade value down the stretch I could see him moved in August.

Maybe you are right.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

I agree, Wynns has played a little more than I thought he would, but the schedule mainly caused that. He got the 2 Sunday games and was going to get 1 of the Yankees games due to the day game after a night game.

I am not sure about Caleb going in August. They will probably go with 3 catchers in September. With Susac gone, unless they activate him and put him on the 60, I don't see them using a 4th spot on another catcher. None are that close anyway other than Sisco. Audry Perez is the Bowie back up and possible choice. Or they put Cervenka on the 40 now to avoid putting him up for a Rule 5. Not sure if Cumberland would need to be protected.

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He's definitely a better hitter than Joseph. But we could use a front line catcher at some point.

I don’t think it’s definite at all that Wynns is the better hitter.    He’s had a nice start in fewer than 50 plate appearances but his minor league track record suggests he’s about the same as Joseph, maybe slightly worse.    So, we’ll see.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:01 PM, bobmc said:

Gotta agree. Everyone knows how much I like Joseph, but Wynns has to be catching at least three times a week. It's good for everyone and keeps Joseph fresh as well. Wynns still needs to improve his game calling, but he can get that during this lost season if he can actually get some playing time.

• Upvote 1

With this season staring into the abyss, has Wynns' strong arm, decent bat, youthiness and (did I already say) strong arm now cast him into the number one receiver role?  I'd like to see that.  I wonder if @Legend_Of_Joey would agree?  @Tony-OH seems to give his blessings above.  That throw out of JBJ on Saturday night earned my attention!

JBJ was 12 for 12 before this beauty!  And to coin a phrase, "Jace is the place!"

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

With this season staring into the abyss, has Wynns' strong arm, decent bat, youthiness and (did I already say) strong arm now cast him into the number one receiver role?  I'd like to see that.  I wonder if @Legend_Of_Joey would agree?  @Tony-OH seems to give his blessings above.  That throw out of JBJ on Saturday night earned my attention!

JBJ was 12 for 12 before this beauty!  And to coin a phrase, "Jace is the place!"

I wouldn't put him as #1 right now, but he does seem to be getting a few more starts (though I'm sure the game times helped that more than anything.) If Wynns and Joseph split time, that is fine by me. Get him used to working with the pitchers that will be here next year.

His hitting is definitely better than even I thought it would be right now, as he is going the other way on some tough pitches. His hit off Kimbrel and his opposite field grouder against the Rays shift are the two recent examples that I didn't see him do a lot of in the minors.

Defense is as advertised. Should have a higher "caught stealing" percentage if Nunez and Beckham could field better, but it happens.

Orioles post game shows with Dempsey seem to really love Wynns.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wouldn't put him as #1 right now, but he does seem to be getting a few more starts (though I'm sure the game times helped that more than anything.) If Wynns and Joseph split time, that is fine by me. Get him used to working with the pitchers that will be here next year.

His hitting is definitely better than even I thought it would be right now, as he is going the other way on some tough pitches. His hit off Kimbrel and his opposite field grouder against the Rays shift are the two recent examples that I didn't see him do a lot of in the minors.

Defense is as advertised. Should have a higher "caught stealing" percentage if Nunez and Beckham could field better, but it happens.

I see no reason not to give Wynns the majority of the starts the rest of the season.  What value does Joseph have?  He only has a little more control left and if all goes as planned, Sisco or Cumberland will eventually take over as the Orioles starting catcher.  We know what Joseph is - may as well see what we have in Wynns.

26 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Rick Dempsey has at varying points in time loved pretty much every catcher the O's have had the last few years, even when they didn't necessarily deserve it.  Not to knock the guy too bad, he obviously knows catching the way Bordick does defense up the middle, but he loved Wellington Castillo last season, especially early on, when several aspects of his game were questionable.  

• Upvote 1