LHP John Means is ready for his opportunity

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes he's got a hittable FB, just like Yefry Ramirez and David Hess. It's one of those things, you can make it work if you have good secondaries and command your pitches well. It can work, but it's a very fine line. There is a reason why guys with hittable fastballs and without a wipeout offspeed pitch aren't highly ranked prospects.

Yep and that's why we've never had rated very high on our prospect list. The question is whether he's able to spot that fastball better or use it up in the zone effectively like Chen was able to do. i want to go back and watch his last few starts to see.

39 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

At this point he should at least replace Chris Lee on the 40 man and become another optionable piece.  I hate that for Lee because he had so much promise, but the injury bug keeps getting him.  I believe Lee is out of options after this year.

You are correct.  Lee will be out of option after this season.   He should soon be DFA'd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I think Akin should get the bump to AAA and if he does well after 5 starts or so, he should get an opportunity in September.

I don't want to see Akin with the O's this season.  He does not have enough minor league service time to need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.   I would wait and look at him in ST.   That spot on the 40 man roster can be used by someone else.  Same with Mountcastle and McKenna.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

In a season in which the Orioles are trotting out Jimmy Yacabonis and Yefry Rodriguez as starters, it's time to give John Means a look. Means has a 2.28 ERA and 38 Ks and 3 BBs in his last 6 starts at Norfolk. He has seemed to have found the consistency that has eluded him over his career. Means has always flashed major league stuff at times, but it just came and went so often it was tough to think of him as more than a fringe prospect. 

I'm going to go back and watch some of his starts of late, but at the end of the game, if you are going to give opportunities to young pitchers and see what they've got, it's time to give John Means some starts. Yacabonis and Rodriguez are not long term solutions as starters. means may not be either, but in a lost season, there's no reason not to give him a shot.

I am for a promotion for Means.  But I am not giving up on Yacabonis, Hess and Ramirez.   They will all get their innings soon enough.   Some may be relievers.  Some may surprise as a starter.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

In a season in which the Orioles are trotting out Jimmy Yacabonis and Yefry Rodriguez as starters, it's time to give John Means a look. Means has a 2.28 ERA and 38 Ks and 3 BBs in his last 6 starts at Norfolk. He has seemed to have found the consistency that has eluded him over his career. Means has always flashed major league stuff at times, but it just came and went so often it was tough to think of him as more than a fringe prospect. 

I'm going to go back and watch some of his starts of late, but at the end of the game, if you are going to give opportunities to young pitchers and see what they've got, it's time to give John Means some starts. Yacabonis and Rodriguez are not long term solutions as starters. means may not be either, but in a lost season, there's no reason not to give him a shot.

The O's would rather Tillman get starts (kidding).

58 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes he's got a hittable FB, just like Yefry Ramirez and David Hess. It's one of those things, you can make it work if you have good secondaries and command your pitches well. It can work, but it's a very fine line. There is a reason why guys with hittable fastballs and without a wipeout offspeed pitch aren't highly ranked prospects.

How recently have you watched Means?    Have you seen much of him in his current hot streak?    His K/9 and K/BB are off the charts compared to what Means has done historically, and that makes me wonder if something fundamental has changed for Means.    Maybe Mike Griffin has taught him a new trick.   

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am for a promotion for Means.  But I am not giving up on Yacabonis, Hess and Ramirez.   They will all get their innings soon enough.   Some may be relievers.  Some may surprise as a starter.

I don't think anyone should give up any of them either. I just don't think any of them will be long term solutions as starters. They all may be able to find roles as major league relievers. Hess has the most upside of the three and probably could find his way into being a long reliever, but his hittable fastball will most likely keep him out of high leverage situations. 

We may end up saying the same thing about Means, but it's time to give him his opportunity to see how it plays in the Majors.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yes, took Meisinger's spot and 40th spot on the 40-man

I would be surprised if that happened.   The 40 man was at 38.    They could add Marinez to the 25 man roster,  send down  Meisinger  and keep him on the 40 man roster.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I would be surprised if that happened.   The 40 man was at 38.    They could add Marinez to the 25 man roster,  send down  Meisinger  and keep him on the 40 man roster.

I meant he took Meisinger's spot on the 25, not the 40 man