Machado to the Dodgers, 5-1 deal

TonySoprano

5 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Below is from last night - I don't think Olbermann watches the games.  An OPS+ of 126 isn't exactly "pedestrian" let alone "non-roster invitee."

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Olberman is a douche.   2.4 rWAR in 50 games for the Dodgers. 

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Notice Heyman's response.  More proof that he doesn't watch the games, just the transaction wire.

So, I thought that his statement "when it has counted" could be a way to weasel his way into being not wrong.  But, nope.  He has one the highest WPA of his career (per FG).  He's #21 in MLB, squarely between Nolan Arenado (20) and Lorenzo Cain (22).

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

DD really messed this one up. In fact, the whole deadline of selling off that year. 

Diaz - Always hurt. Still hasn’t really established himself above AA. 

Valera - UTIl fodder

Kremer - “led MILB in K’s” now he’s leading in the MLB in highest ERA. 

Pop - Lost in the Rule 5 draft after having TJ. Was he hurt when we traded for him?

Bannon - UTIL IF at best, that can’t play SS.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well we should have traded him when he had another year of value. Tough to get much return on a rental. That and we couldn’t afford him after lardassmcuseless Chris Davis’ bloated contract. Man, that one deal blew up the entire team. What a waste of space that greedy bastard is.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DD really messed this one up. In fact, the whole deadline of selling off that year. 

Diaz - Always hurt. Still hasn’t really established himself above AA. 

Valera - UTIl fodder

Kremer - “led MILB in K’s” now he’s leading in the MLB in highest ERA. 

Pop - Lost in the Rule 5 draft after having TJ. Was he hurt when we traded for him?

Bannon - UTIL IF at best, that can’t play SS.

Hate to say it, but yeah. It's still a little early to close the book on this one, but it's looking like we got solid nothing for Machado. Didn't expect a king's ransom for half a season of him, but I expected better than nothing

23 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

On paper at the time, sure. Results since have been pretty disappointing. I'd likely trade the entire haul for a supplemental 1st round draft pick at this point

You can’t judge a trade on results unless you know of another deal that was on the table that they passed up.

Otherwise, you have to rate the process.  The Orioles trades a few months of Manny and got back a guy who was a top 50 prospect, a UtI prospect, a very good BP arm prospect and a starting pitcher prospect.

Its not DDs fault that Elias was a moron when he exposed Pop.  

Kremer has come to the majors and been up and down.  We don’t know his future.

Diaz has been hurt but when healthy, he has been a good player and still had good upside.  

Bannon is an unknown but is progressing nicely.

So, not only was the trade itself fine, the idea that anyone is talking about closing the book on it is absurd.  We don’t have anywhere near a conclusion to this story.

There is another thread about how the Bundy trade is looking better.  Really?  So, this trade is terrible even though 2 of the players are in the majors and 2 others are knocking on the door but the Bundy trade looks better because in a SSS this year he sucks and a few of the players we got, again in a SSS, are performing very well.  But if they fizzle out, will that trade still look better?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Kind of aggravating that the Red Sox were able to attach David Price’s bloated contract to Mookie Betts and still get back MLB ready Alex Verdugo in that deal with the Dodgers.  

And if they hadn’t done that, they would have gotten back a lot more too.

What is funny is people thought the Red Sox didn’t get enough back in that deal, which was always comical.

But still, they would have done better for Betts had they not attached that deal to him.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:35 AM, Sports Guy said:

The trade was good.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:02 AM, Sports Guy said:

You can’t judge a trade on results unless you know of another deal that was on the table that they passed up.

Otherwise, you have to rate the process.  The Orioles trades a few months of Manny and got back a guy who was a top 50 prospect, a UtI prospect, a very good BP arm prospect and a starting pitcher prospect.

Its not DDs fault that Elias was a moron when he exposed Pop.  

Kremer has come to the majors and been up and down.  We don’t know his future.

Diaz has been hurt but when healthy, he has been a good player and still had good upside.  

Bannon is an unknown but is progressing nicely.

So, not only was the trade itself fine, the idea that anyone is talking about closing the book on it is absurd.  We don’t have anywhere near a conclusion to this story.

There is another thread about how the Bundy trade is looking better.  Really?  So, this trade is terrible even though 2 of the players are in the majors and 2 others are knocking on the door but the Bundy trade looks better because in a SSS this year he sucks and a few of the players we got, again in a SSS, are performing very well.  But if they fizzle out, will that trade still look better?  

Dude, I 100% agree we can't judge the trade on results. Process is everything. I'm not saying we shouldn't have done the deal at the time. I'm saying right now I'd probably trade Diaz, Kremer and Bannon for a supplemental first round pick. None of those three look like nuggets and at least the pick has a chance to be one

What’s the trade clearly is is an indictment of Dan, but Dan is gone, and God be praised, so instead let’s talk about Mike, And Mike has apparently done a very good job of everything except producing a winning team, which is his job, but he’s explain that he’s not focusing on that yet so we have to wait.

35 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'm saying right now I'd probably trade Diaz, Kremer and Bannon for a supplemental first round pick. None of those three look like nuggets and at least the pick has a chance to be one

I wouldn't trade either Diaz or Kremer for a supplemental first round pick one for one and neither, I suspect, would any GM in baseball.

Kremer is 25 and has made 12 MLB starts. The list of starting pitchers who have been mediocre through their first dozen starters and turned into decent starting pitchers is longer than the list of pitchers who were great from the beginning. A supplemental first round pick even reaching the Majors is a win, let alone making a dozen MLB starts in his whole career.

Diaz is 24 and has been decent when healthy and the injuries, while annoying, don't seem to be related to a single thing. It isn't like he has a degenerative hip or a bad back or something. Patience is a virtue.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Philip said:

What’s the trade clearly is is an indictment of Dan, but Dan is gone, and God be praised, so instead let’s talk about Mike, And Mike has apparently done a very good job of everything except producing a winning team, which is his job, but he’s explain that he’s not focusing on that yet so we have to wait.

No, it’s not an indictment of DD unless he had another deal on the table that he didn’t like as much but turns out, it was the best return.

The indictment on this trade is 100% on the shoulders of ownership and, to a lesser extent, Buck.