Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

2 hours ago, Chromehill said:

I think the O's are in on VVM, problem is he and his brother and Gaston want to sign with the Marlins.  Couple that with it would be a huge PR black eye for the Marlins if they sign elsewhere...Marlins have been busy acquiring slot money. 

Both organizations need a PR win, you could offer the whole pot of money to VVM and see if he takes it, problem is, is he worth that much money? 

Maybe the O's are waiting to hire their new employees before making the decision on VVM. 

There are maybe a few hundred, a few thousand tops, Oriole fans who are worked up about this. This isn’t exactly front page sports news right now with baseball playoffs, football, etc. There will be gnashing of the teeth on the board if the Orioles don’t miraculously get all three, but this is hardly a real public relations issue. Losing a club record number of games and hiring new GM and manager are five billion times more important to the sports world. And are definitely really way more important. 

p.s. But I think your point is more valid for the Marlins. They have truly abysmal attendance. I think developing Cuban stars may be a huge priority to try to cultivate a stronger fan base. They may be relatively more desperate than the Orioles in this situation. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

There are maybe a few hundred, a few thousand tops, Oriole fans who are worked up about this. This isn’t exactly front page sports news right now with baseball playoffs, football, etc. There will be gnashing of the teeth on the board if the Orioles don’t miraculously get all three, but this is hardly a real public relations issue. Losing a club record number of games and hiring new GM and manager are five billion times more important to the sports world. And are definitely really way more important. 

p.s. But I think your point is more valid for the Marlins. They have truly abysmal attendance. I think developing Cuban stars may be a huge priority to try to cultivate a stronger fan base. They may be relatively more desperate than the Orioles in this situation. 

I think it would be a good shot in the arm PR wise for the Orioles.  Definitely agree about the Marlins, given all the heat that Jeter took last offseason with the dismantling of the team, they really cannot afford to let these 3 Cuban prospects get away.  They are going to keep acquiring international slot money until they hit their possible maximum allocation.  At that point, if they don't sign all three, nothing more they could have done.

I think people assuming that the culture of Miami is the trump card in this whole thing is overselling it.  Cuba also has a strong history of massive support for its baseball players, and that's something Miami never does.  Sure this past season wasn't the best turnout for the Orioles, but at least there is some history of actual passion for the game, and that's something I hope Maduro can relate to the prospects.  It's not so cut and dry as Miami has the culture and all other things being equal they win.

The Marlins really suck. They make the Orioles look fantastic. They haven’t had a winning season since 2009 and they averaged 10,000 fans per game this year. That’s 40% fewer than the second worse attendance. There may not be more than a handful of Marlins fans really following this, but a strategy of developing Cuban players and certainly as many Latin players as possible is a good strategy for their future. 

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It expires at the start of the next signing period.  They could theoretically sill sign players with the money.  Maybe in Mexico if they clear that mess up or even Asia.

The odds of them actually using the slot money they got from the Braves is low if they don't sign Mesa.

So hypothetically, they could end up not using the money and some of these trades were just salary dumps? I didn't think Gausman or O'day or some of the others ate up enough salary to be worth dumping.

16 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

So hypothetically, they could end up not using the money and some of these trades were just salary dumps? I didn't think Gausman or O'day or some of the others ate up enough salary to be worth dumping.

This has been discussed a ton on the board: O'Day is owed 9 million next year and the Orioles seem to care a lot about that money. I hypothesized at the time of the Gausman deal that the international money was mainly included to make the deal look better. That may have been the case, but there's a decent chance, I hope, that this will be the last deal influenced by Peter-Buck-DD-etc. decisions and that the Orioles are really going to finally enter the modern baseball world. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

This has been discussed a ton on the board: O'Day is owed 9 million next year and the Orioles seem to care a lot about that money. 

Yeah I understand that. Perhaps I misunderstood as I thought they were dumping Gausman's salary as well.

Point being is that I don't personally think it's worth it. I guess the O's do...

47 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Yeah I understand that. Perhaps I misunderstood as I thought they were dumping Gausman's salary as well.

Point being is that I don't personally think it's worth it. I guess the O's do...

I think we all agree with you...if they acquired less prospect wise for O'Day's salary, then it's a shame. 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

This has been discussed a ton on the board: O'Day is owed 9 million next year and the Orioles seem to care a lot about that money. I hypothesized at the time of the Gausman deal that the international money was mainly included to make the deal look better. That may have been the case, but there's a decent chance, I hope, that this will be the last deal influenced by Peter-Buck-DD-etc. decisions and that the Orioles are really going to finally enter the modern baseball world. 

From what Roch has written it appears they took on more than 9 million of O'Days salary. As he has 4 million of deferred salary  So he is making 8 million next year plus the 1 mlliion defered in 2020-2023.  The Braves are picking up the 2020-2023 money as well.  So the Orioles saved 3 million in 2018.  8 million in 2019. 1 million in 2020 1 million in 2021, 1 million in 2022, and 1 million in 2023.  

So the Orioles saved 15 million dollars of O'Days salary.   

4 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Marlins really suck. They make the Orioles look fantastic. They haven’t had a winning season since 2009 and they averaged 10,000 fans per game this year. That’s 40% fewer than the second worse attendance. There may not be more than a handful of Marlins fans really following this, but a strategy of developing Cuban players and certainly as many Latin players as possible is a good strategy for their future. 

But somehow they’ve won 2 championships since our last WS win. SMH

Archived