Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

1 hour ago, atomic said:

One of the guys is 16 and another is 17.  If the make the majors one day it is in the distant future. By that time the Orioles and Marlins might be contenders. 

Two of the 3 Cuban players are that age too, right?

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Why should the players be in a hurry?    They can take their sweet time and let the teams trade for as much slot money as they’re allowed to get and then play one off against the other.    It’s in their interest to be patient.   

I'm surprised more top international free agents don't do this.  If you're 16 years old, and a top 30 international free agent, what's the rush to sign right away.  I'm guessing that often there is an under the table payment to family and/or friends to get them to sign.  1 million is a ton of money to someone from a poor country (and most people in the US). It might be the only money these guys ever see if they don't make the majors.  If they can wait a month or two and get a 3 million signing bonus it makes sense.  

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm surprised more top international free agents don't do this.  If you're 16 years old, and a top 30 international free agent, what's the rush to sign right away.  I'm guessing that often there is an under the table payment to family and/or friends to get them to sign.  1 million is a ton of money to someone from a poor country (and most people in the US). It might be the only money these guys ever see if they don't make the majors.  If they can wait a month or two and get a 3 million signing bonus it makes sense.  

Or they can wait a month and get 250K because the money is gone.

Mostly these players have a relationship with the team they sign with that goes back a year or more.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

So I heard today it's possible that whichever of the 3 isn't able to sign with Miami Now, will just wait until July when the money re-sets itself for every team.

Sure, it has always been a possibility

I don't think it is very likely that they wait nine months to get paid and lose all that developmental time.

You have 3 teams with more slot money left than what Gaston already accepted.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, it has always been a possibility

I don't think it is very likely that they wait nine months to get paid and lose all that developmental time.

You have 3 teams with more slot money left than what Gaston already accepted.

Realistically, if they feel VVM at 22 is major league ready Or close, couldn't they give him a lower bonus with the agreement they give him a major league deal for a certain amount after?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall what the infraction was to be honest. 

I wouldn't want to be suing MLB and get caught breaking the rules.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/11/21/mlb-punishment-braves-john-coppolella-kevin-maitan

For making under-the-table bonus payments to the players, they lost 12 IFA, their ex-GM is blacklisted for life, and they have huge restrictions on who they can sign in the IFA market through 2021.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/11/21/mlb-punishment-braves-john-coppolella-kevin-maitan

For making under-the-table bonus payments to the players, they lost 12 IFA, their ex-GM is blacklisted for life, and they have huge restrictions on who they can sign in the IFA market through 2021.

From that piece:

The investigation established that the Braves circumvented international signing rules from 2015 through 2017. During the 2015-16 international signing period, the Braves signed five players subject to the Club's signing bonus pool to contracts containing signing bonuses lower than the bonuses the Club had agreed to provide the players. The Club provided the additional bonus money to those players by inflating the signing bonus to another player who was exempt from their signing pool because he qualified as a 'foreign professional' under MLB rules.

So not the same thing.  Actually seems closer to what the Red Sox got caught doing.

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

And yet, they can trade the slot allocations they can’t use.   That seems crazy.  

Archived