Cashner Rumors?

Aristotelian

Seems like it's been quiet. I have not seen Cashner's name anywhere. However, he has done well enough. Seems like a good option for anyone needing pitching to fill their back end. Owed $9.5M next year, which seems reasonable, would cost hardly anything. Anyone surprised that he is still on the team?

Cashner gets an additional $400K if he reaches 30 starts. $0.275M for 130 IP. $0.35M for 140 IP. $0.75M for 150 IP. $0.4M each for 170, 180, 190, 200 IP.

Curious whether the Orioles will pull any tomfoolery to prevent any of these bonuses from being hit.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Cashner gets an additional $400K if he reaches 30 starts. $0.275M for 130 IP. $0.35M for 140 IP. $0.75M for 150 IP. $0.4M each for 170, 180, 190, 200 IP.

Curious whether the Orioles will pull any tomfoolery to prevent any of these bonuses from being hit.

Why?  He deserves it. He’s lived up to his end of the deal. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like it's been quiet. I have not seen Cashner's name anywhere. However, he has done well enough. Seems like a good option for anyone needing pitching to fill their back end. Owed $9.5M next year, which seems reasonable, would cost hardly anything. Anyone surprised that he is still on the team?

I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why?  He deserves it. He’s lived up to his end of the deal. 

Totally, not saying they should do it, but these things find a way of happening when teams have nothing to play for. Maybe the O's bring up a couple minor leaguers and go to a 6-man rotation in September and it happens to result in Cashner only having 29 starts and falling short of one of the inning limits, saving the team $800K. I would be shocked if it wasn't a consideration.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He's really borderline to get 30 starts.  If they skip him once or schedule him with long rest for more than 2 or 3 starts, he's not going to get it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they left him at 29 starts.  With regard to the other bonuses, he's a pretty sure bet to hit 150 IP barring injury.  Any additional bonuses kind of depend on him.  He's got an outside shot at hitting the 170 IP bonus if he smokes 'em for the rest of the year.  (he needs to average around 6 1/3 innings over 9 starts.)

edit to add: with the weird weather in Baltimore this year, it's quite possible that simple logistics will prevent him from hitting the 30 starts between doubleheaders and the possibility of postponed games that aren't made up because they don't affect the playoff hunt.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

No wonder he got so mad at Showalter when he was taken out of that game.

32 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

They've saved enough with Machado, Britton and Brach they shouldn't feel the need to play those games.  

They were expecting to trade Adam as well.  Attendance is down and they wanted to sign some international players and hire some scouts.

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I doubt it.    He won’t reach 190 innings in any event, and probably won’t reach 180, though he could if he pitches well down the stretch.    

Archived