Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

12 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Funny how high K low OBP, bad defensive range players with power are not valued very highly by anyone but the Orioles

Looks like the Brewers valued it at least long enough to make the trade though ?

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought only the Orioles screwed up trades???? :)

I said the Britton and Gausman trades were the screw ups.  And I am not sure why the Brewers aren't playing Schoop. 50 at bats isn't enough time to give up on someone. 

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Anyone think it's mental with Schoop? New city, new team, new teammates, etc... Wasn't he the one that was surprised and wondered why the O's traded him?

He wasn’t sure why they traded him for another infielder the same age. He totally missed the part where the main piece of the trade was a pretty decent pitching prospect.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

Why trade for a guy and then give up on him so quickly? 

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Anyone think it's mental with Schoop? New city, new team, new teammates, etc... Wasn't he the one that was surprised and wondered why the O's traded him?

The Brewers seem to be pretty down on Schoop as he has performed terribly since the trade.   Funny....Milwaukee is besting Atlanta for home of used to be Orioles....Milwaukee now with Schoop, Wade Miley, Josh Hader, Zach Davies, Matt Albers.....Atlanta with Nick, Gausman, O'Day, Brach...

11 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

THANK YOU!  I appreciated Schoop, but I knew his stock was not rising.  

Brewers are not helping themselves by jerking him all over the place...he was playing short one game I watched, then second, then sitting, then pinch-hitting....he is a streaky enough guy anyway, just got traded for the first time, left his best bud...if they both want to try to recoup some value from him, they need to just put him at second and leave him there as a regular.   His bat will heat up again, but only if he is playing.  Or if they just want to call it a day and release him...ok, they could do that too, I suppose.  

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Brewers are not helping themselves by jerking him all over the place...he was playing short one game I watched, then second, then sitting, then pinch-hitting....he is a streaky enough guy anyway, just got traded for the first time, left his best bud...if they both want to try to recoup some value from him, they need to just put him at second and leave him there as a regular.   His bat will heat up again, but only if he is playing.  Or if they just want to call it a day and release him...ok, they could do that too, I suppose.  

Not playing again tonight.Makes no sense  if you saw something to make the trade and then not play him at least most of the time.

21 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Funny how high K low OBP, bad defensive range players with power are not valued very highly by anyone but the Orioles

Range or no range, he's a solid defensive player who has a high offensive ceiling year in and year out. Not many 2B that put up numbers like this (last year): .293/.338/.503 - .841 OPS. His numbers look similar to an Adam Jones type. He's an aggressive swinger who is very streaky. Wouldn't shock me to see him have a huge 2019.

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Range or no range, he's a solid defensive player who has a high offensive ceiling year in and year out. Not many 2B that put up numbers like this (last year): .293/.338/.503 - .841 OPS. His numbers look similar to an Adam Jones type. He's an aggressive swinger who is very streaky. Wouldn't shock me to see him have a huge 2019.

I think he will need to get refocused. But he does have the tools and has been very hot several times in his career. Nice strong arm. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

It wouldn’t shock me either, but I don’t think .841 OPS is going to become a typical season for him either.   He’s got a .741 career OPS and his second best season is .788.    I think he’s a .775ish hitter on average the next 5 years.