Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I have much more faith in Villar's ability to sustain some level of playability then I did with Beckham this time last year. 

Me too.  Good pickup about Beckham, thats what I was getting at.  Beckham like he was last year for a month would be the best player in the game.  Didn't expect that, didn't expect him to be so terrible like he was this year.

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Me too.  Good pickup about Beckham, thats what I was getting at.  Beckham like he was last year for a month would be the best player in the game.  Didn't expect that, didn't expect him to be so terrible like he was this year.

I'm still not overly bullish on Villar (there was a reason the Brewers didn't play him ever day), but at least he has some track record of success. Plus, he doesn't seem like a head case, like Beckham. I just don't get a good vibe from Beckham. That plus the rumors about him being  a problem child in Tampa make me think that where there's smoke there's probably fire. I'm really hoping we cut ties with him in the off season and just sign a defensive shortstop to a short term deal. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm still not overly bullish on Villar (there was a reason the Brewers didn't play him ever day), but at least he has some track record of success. Plus, he doesn't seem like a head case, like Beckham. I just don't get a good vibe from Beckham. That plus the rumors about him being  a problem child in Tampa make me think that where there's smoke there's probably fire. I'm really hoping we cut ties with him in the off season and just sign a defensive shortstop to a short term deal. 

I don't get that vibe from Beckham.  Give any who just graduated high school a few million and make him the number 1 pick in the draft and sure, there's a chance things could go to their head and they could have some issues.  Yeah, he smoked some weed and got suspended.  But like I said, give most any 18 year old (damn, Beckham got 6.15 million!!) a lot of money and tell them to act right, don't smoke weed and don't party and see what kind of reaction you get.

That was 10 years ago.  Haven't seen him act like a jerk, seems to be well liked by teammates.  Don't hear any rumblings of him being a problem child.  Seems like he's grown up.

Now, his defense certainly isn't great.  He can hit a little.  I'm not super crazy about him so if the O's cut ties this year I'm not going to lose any sleep.  But if he's OD SS 2019, I'm ok with it too.  I'm hoping Grenier can learn how to hit and eventually take over as the Orioles SS someday.  2019 isn't going to mean much except getting the young kids playing time and figuring out what we have.  If Beckham isn't blocking anyone in '19 who could be viewed as a future franchise SS, then I don't mind him being back.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get that vibe from Beckham.  Give any who just graduated high school a few million and make him the number 1 pick in the draft and sure, there's a chance things could go to their head and they could have some issues.  Yeah, he smoked some weed and got suspended.  But like I said, give most any 18 year old (damn, Beckham got 6.15 million!!) a lot of money and tell them to act right, don't smoke weed and don't party and see what kind of reaction you get.

That was 10 years ago.  Haven't seen him act like a jerk, seems to be well liked by teammates.  Don't hear any rumblings of him being a problem child.  Seems like he's grown up.

Now, his defense certainly isn't great.  He can hit a little.  I'm not super crazy about him so if the O's cut ties this year I'm not going to lose any sleep.  But if he's OD SS 2019, I'm ok with it too.  I'm hoping Grenier can learn how to hit and eventually take over as the Orioles SS someday.  2019 isn't going to mean much except getting the young kids playing time and figuring out what we have.  If Beckham isn't blocking anyone in '19 who could be viewed as a future franchise SS, then I don't mind him being back.  

This was the quote about his attitude after the trade. 

He can have an attitude when things aren't going the way he thinks they should, finding perceived slights everywhere, even in being taken out of a game, a negative flip side of the competitiveness and chip-on-his-shoulder attitude that teammates admire. That's why there was justified concern when he was bumped to second after the late June acquisition of Adeiny Hechavarria. And it's nothing new, rooted in Beckham being the top overall pick of the 2008 draft — yes, over Buster Posey — and being set back by injury, a drug suspension and inconsistent play on a path to the majors he still felt was unfairly too slow.

Charming when he wanted to be, there was chatter Beckham wasn't respectful of support staff and didn't take criticism well. He seemed to be available a lot more for interviews when he starred than when he failed.

17 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Keep him, trade him, whatever they do, he is a breath of fresh air to watch.  We haven't had a player like him since Good B-Rob.  He knows how to work a count, steals bases, has energy.  Polar opposite from Schoop.

We definitely had too much of the same thing for years.  I like the idea of keeping Villar around because he has the offensive mentality the younger guys should emulate. A different brand of baseball is fun to watch too. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He can have an attitude when things aren't going the way he thinks they should, finding perceived slights everywhere, even in being taken out of a game, a negative flip side of the competitiveness and chip-on-his-shoulder attitude that teammates admire. That's why there was justified concern when he was bumped to second after the late June acquisition of Adeiny Hechavarria. And it's nothing new, rooted in Beckham being the top overall pick of the 2008 draft — yes, over Buster Posey — and being set back by injury, a drug suspension and inconsistent play on a path to the majors he still felt was unfairly too slow.

Charming when he wanted to be, there was chatter Beckham wasn't respectful of support staff and didn't take criticism well. He seemed to be available a lot more for interviews when he starred than when he failed.

Ok sure.  But I haven't seen anything to support that since he's been here.

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like him. What happened in the past should make no difference now. The past is the past. If he is the SS in 2019 I'm okay with that too. 

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Beckham may be blocking Wilkerson or Valera  at 2B if Villar moves to SS next season.

If Beckham has to compete with Vlllar for the SS job in ST I think  we may see his attitude.  Especially if he loses the job.  He does not want to be a part time player or a utility guy from everything I have read..

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Beckham may be blocking Wilkerson or Valera  at 2B if Villar moves to SS next season.

If Beckham has to compete with Vlllar for the SS job in ST I think  we may see his attitude.  Especially if he loses the job.  He does not want to be a part time player or a utility guy from everything I have read..

I said franchise SS.  You're bringing up Wilkerson and Valera.  

Where's it been said that Villar is OD SS '19?  Villar seems fine and 2B, let him be.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Bigdeal

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok sure.  But I haven't seen anything to support that since he's been here.

He has been the model citizen here.

Buck said either in MASN, or after one of his game reports, that guys like Beckham, you have to respect their love of the game, and coming to the clubhouse, every day, ready to play.

• Upvote 2