Poll: Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

Greg Pappas

Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

13 hours ago, interloper said:

But why wouldn't it be? Before Elias was even hired, we heard from ownership that they were reversing course on the international market and that tied into the Duquette trades. Then we heard that again from ownership and Elias during his initial press conference. Then Elias hired Perez. 

Since the Duquette trades, there's never been one shred of evidence pointing to the fact that ownership was going to put a lid on spending those funds! Yes, Peter did in the past, but the club has been pretty transparent about that AND about reversing course on it. 

It's just skepticism for the sake of being pessimistic. Which I definitely get because Orioles. But as soon as Perez was hired - who is a very big deal in his area of expertise - it was obvious the game done changed. 

I think it’s more of the “I’ll believe it when I see it” mentality. 

Right now we have $2.5 million just chilling. Ready for us to spend it. 

This is how you prevent 14 straight years of losing. Our last winning year was 2016. I don’t think we sniff winning till 2023 with the state of our pitching staff. That’s 7 years and half way there. 

We spent our full draft pull money this year. Seems odd we keep having this international pool money left over. Odd or... maybe some of that old philosophy is still lingering. 

11 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

DD talked about creating academies in places like the DR when he came on board.  For whatever reason- likely at the behest of Peter- they never followed through with any of that talk. 

There is little doubt that ownership had more to do with our lack of international presence than Duquette. Remember, the Orioles were all over the Asian market when Duquette arrived but then that fell off. Thankfully, that has appeared to change with the sons in charge and Elias on board. I'm looking forward to a couple of years from now when this regime will have been in place for 2-3 years to see what they are signing. I expect a bigger splash next year and then a huge splash the year after.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is little doubt that ownership had more to do with our lack of international presence than Duquette. Remember, the Orioles were all over the Asian market when Duquette arrived but then that fell off. Thankfully, that has appeared to change with the sons in charge and Elias on board. I'm looking forward to a couple of years from now when this regime will have been in place for 2-3 years to see what they are signing. I expect a bigger splash next year and then a huge splash the year after.

DD said that ownership wanted to win now and spend their budget on things that would be immediate return.  That is probably why DD was allowed to sign Hank and Kim as those guys were either ready or close to ready.  While 16 year old DR guys were at least 5 years away.

22 hours ago, Aglets said:

A form of trolling is bringing up the same topic 300-400 times, especially when there is no clear cut answer.  Like interloper I have no desire to debate this any further, my only reason for posting the list was in response to the preposterous implication made by the previous poster.

Hey, we only have six to eight years to get a reasonable accounting of how this signing class will work out, so that's just another 3000 days or so of hearing about how Elias doesn't have full control and our international presence is probably crap.  We can wait it out.

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hey, we only have six to eight years to get a reasonable accounting of how this signing class will work out, so that's just another 3000 days or so of hearing about how Elias doesn't have full control and our international presence is probably crap.  We can wait it out.

You think Elias makes it eight years?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think Elias makes it eight years?

I’ll say he lasts through year 4.   If we don’t appear to be ready to go over .500 by then, he could be in trouble.   Realistically, we all know it would be a surprise if we had a winning record before year 4.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll say he lasts through year 4.   If we don’t appear to be ready to go over .500 by then, he could be in trouble.   Realistically, we all know it would be a surprise if we had a winning record before year 4.

Is he signed through 5?  If so I think he makes it 5 either way.  Either the team struggles and they let him walk or things look really good and he leaves for a higher profile job.  Only way he stays if the team is in the might make the wild card range.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is he signed through 5?  If so I think he makes it 5 either way.  Either the team struggles and they let him walk or things look really good and he leaves for a higher profile job.  Only way he stays if the team is in the might make the wild card range.

They’ve never revealed the length of his contract.    It’s true that PA was always very reluctant to fire anyone before their contract expired.    Even Flanny wasn’t officially fired.    They just hired Andy and gave him the superior title.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’ve never revealed the length of his contract.    It’s true that PA was always very reluctant to fire anyone before their contract expired.    Even Flanny wasn’t officially fired.    They just hired Andy and gave him the superior title.   

Frank Wren. That loser.