When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Nite said:

Lets slow the roll on the whole "they kept Brady" but "let DD go" thing right now. All they've actually done is said people under contract are still under contract. People who have expiring contracts will not be retained. They are going to get new people in. Now if there is a President who will have final say on the GM then that means they would probably get say on what happens to Brady and everyone else. Just because he's kept today, doesn't mean he isn't fired or shuffled off to a back office tomorrow. Still way to early in the process.

Anyone know the details of Brady's contract with the O's?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He may be getting a promotion.

I told a friend who is a Red Sox fan about how they let Dan go and kept Brady.

He was all "Brady works for you guys?  What's he in charge of, sideburns?"

It has been stated that the person in charge of all baseball operations is coming from outside the organization. Unless Brady is being proment to MASN or the Law Offices, I would sense that is an indicator. 

1 hour ago, Nite said:

So they're going with an all new "organization" for the front office with a president. IMO that means they know who they want for the president and will let them hire the GM, who will then hire the manager. 

I'm hoping for Cal for President.  Time is finally right, so now or never. 

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'd like to see someone:

1. Under 50

2. Fluent in Spanish

3. Strong ties/experience in Latin America

Anyone know who would meet these criteria?

If you consider Jerry Crasnick's recent tweets, which were posted here in another thread, this could well be describing old friend Ryan Flaherty. (Admittedly, #3 might be a bit in question, but he certainly checks off the first two criteria.)

As much as I am skeptical of the process, what we have been told and what has happened is in line with something that could look like a quality rebuild.  We will have many questions, but if we actually hire someone from outside, and give him or her full authority to make the Os a better team.  I'm on board.

I can wait a month and see how this works.  

Cautiously Optimistic

The following are my current favorite GM candidates, but I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on who they'd like, and why:

Jason McLeod, SVP of Player Development/Scouting, Cubs
Yet another Epstein disciple, McLeod has been part of the Cubs' brain trust since November 2011 as the club's senior VP of player development and amateur scouting. McLeod has been considered a future GM for a few years, though he signed an extension with the Cubs that runs through 2021. During his time in Chicago, he's overseen the selection of first-rounders Albert Almora Jr., Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber in consecutive years.

Jared Porter, Senior Vice President & Assistant GM, D'backs
As part of the Theo Epstein tree that has produced a wealth of front-office talent, Porter has been a part of four World Series championship clubs with the Red Sox and Cubs. Porter joined Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen (another Epstein disciple) in Arizona in November 2016, taking over as the D-backs' senior vice president and assistant GM. Porter is well-respected among scouts, coaches and player development folks, his experience in several areas making him an ideal GM candidate.

Amiel Sawdaye, Senior Vice President & Assistant GM, D'Backs
The 41-year old Baltimore native graduated from the University of Maryland in 1999 with a degree in decisions information systems and has an affinity for analytics.  He currently oversees the D'Backs' amateur and international scouting and assists GM Mike Hazen on all facets of baseball operations. He is a former Red Sox Vice President of International and Amateur Scouting and drafted such talent as include Jackie Bradley Jr., Mookie Betts, and Andrew Benintendi, and was part of three world championship teams during his tenure. Here's an in-depth interview, wherein he discusses a multitude of job-related topics: 

Chaim Bloom, Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, Rays
A finalist for GM openings in Milwaukee and Philadelphia, Bloom has established a stellar reputation during his 13-year run with Tampa Bay. When Andrew Friedman left for Los Angeles in 2014, Bloom was promoted to the Rays' VP of baseball operations, adding the senior VP title in '16. Erik Neander holds the GM title, though the duo works in concert when it comes to the club. For Bloom, the opportunity to run his own team -- especially a big-market club in close proximity to his native Philly -- would be an interesting possibility.

Tim Naehring, VP of Baseball Operations, Yankees
One of Brian Cashman's most trusted lieutenants, Naehring has developed a reputation as one of the best talent evaluators in the game. The former Red Sox infielder would join Jerry Dipoto as the only former big league players in a GM position, though it remains to be seen whether Naehring would even be interested in leaving the Bronx after spending more than a decade working for Cashman.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

If you want any of the VPs/SVPs to make a move, it can't be a lateral move, but one with a title of President of Baseball Operations. Andy Sweater Vest is the only one in team history under Angelos.  

None of the people on the list above is a GM currently, regardless of their VP/SVP title. If you were offering Duquette's EVP title and the GM responsibilities I think you'd at least have their attention.

I think we end up with a President anyway. I would certainly interview Bloom for that role.

Archived