When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure they're all fine, just get one in here.

That’s more or less how I feel.   We’ll never know all the nuances of what makes one candidate better than another.    We’re kidding ourselves if we think we can judge that with any degree of confidence.   But the uncertainty and sense of drift is very frustrating.  Objectively, I understand this may take another 2 weeks or so, but subjectively, the lack of progress is palpable.   

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s more or less how I feel.   We’ll never know all the nuances of what makes one candidate better than another.    We’re kidding ourselves if we think we can judge that with any degree of confidence.   But the uncertainty and sense of drift is very frustrating.  Objectively, I understand this may take another 2 weeks or so, but subjectively, the lack of progress is palpable.   

If Houston is a model for a rebuild then it is worth taking note that Jeff Luhnow was hired as GM  on December 7th.   Take the time needed to get it right is the correct approach IMO.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Agreed on all points.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think if this were most any other franchise that this would be business as usual. But because it is the Orioles we are getting impatient, because I'll bet a lot of us are just waiting for the organization to screw this up somehow.

I'm in no hurry. Let the World Series finish then jump in with both feet.

6 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I think if this were most any other franchise that this would be business as usual. But because it is the Orioles we are getting impatient, because I'll bet a lot of us are just waiting for the organization to screw this up somehow.

I'm in no hurry. Let the World Series finish then jump in with both feet.

Let's wait until after the Super bowl and get Ozzie as the New President! 

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

Let's wait until after the Super bowl and get Ozzie as the New President! 

What is the need to make a move right now? To appease the fans? Wait until all teams have finished their season so you can interview the largest pool of candidates. Maybe the Orioles have their eye on someone in one the organizations that are still playing? We don't know who the club is actually considering.

You would rather the club not get their man/woman just so we can speed this up a bit? Are you 10 years old?

On 10/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, dabirds said:

Not sure I understand the love for Cherrington.  He did an absolutely horrible job in Boston.  I want no part of him.

He was largely responsible for Boston's 2013 run, for starters. He was there when they drafted and developed a large part of their current core. The general storyline seems to be: Lucchino and company more or less used him and tied his hands in Boston, for years. Despite the dysfunction, he did some good things... like winning a World Series. 

I agree that his track record is somewhat mixed. But I'd like to see us sign him. (Think about it: If the Giants and other successful teams are wooing him... they must know something. But again... the Orioles, we only wait for the BEST. We have our pick of the litter... lol.)

4 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

He was largely responsible for Boston's 2013 run, for starters. He was there when they drafted and developed a large part of their current core. The general storyline seems to be: Lucchino and company more or less used him and tied his hands in Boston, for years. Despite the dysfunction, he did some good things... like winning a World Series. 

I agree that his track record is somewhat mixed. But I'd like to see us sign him. (Think about it: If the Giants and other successful teams are wooing him... they must know something. But again... the Orioles, we only wait for the BEST. We have our pick of the litter... lol.)

I was with you until the Giants statement.

From what I have been reading recently, their ownership and organization is pretty screwed up right now.

59 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

What is the need to make a move right now? To appease the fans? Wait until all teams have finished their season so you can interview the largest pool of candidates. Maybe the Orioles have their eye on someone in one the organizations that are still playing? We don't know who the club is actually considering.

You would rather the club not get their man/woman just so we can speed this up a bit? Are you 10 years old?

Actually, I was simply suggesting letting Ozzie come in and give the organization proper structure. I was not trying to make a statement about timing. Ultimately for the O's timing does not matter since they now won't be signing the Cubans and they won't be big players in FA. No, I'm a bit older than 10 :) 

25 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Actually, I was simply suggesting letting Ozzie come in and give the organization proper structure. I was not trying to make a statement about timing. Ultimately for the O's timing does not matter since they now won't be signing the Cubans and they won't be big players in FA. No, I'm a bit older than 10 :) 

I dont see the team spending money for a veteran MLB manager with experience.

Interesting MLBTR bit on the Twins and their recent hiring and changes planned with analytics.

While the hires of chief baseball officer Derek Falvey and GM Thad Levine brought a more analytical approach to the Twins’ roster construction process, Minnesota is also overhauling its strength & conditioning and sports medicine staffs to make greater use of data and analytics, as Dan Hayes of The Athletic explores in a fascinating look at the changes to the department (subscription link). “We’ve added some analytical resources to our performance staff,” director of baseball operations Daniel Adler tells Hayes. “…We’re learning where we can trust the data, where it’s good, where it’s not as good. … Who knows if in 10 years teams may have medical-focused R&D departments that are as large as entire R&D departments are today. I don’t know. But it’s not crazy to imagine that.” The Twins have done extensive research on giving players proactive rest and implemented programs surrounding that effort. Minnesota’s R&D staff is also examining the manner in which elements such as indoor vs. outdoor batting practice, early infield work and other training activities impact a player’s ability to recover.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/al-central-notes-twins-greiner-mccann-indians-white-sox.html

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Houston is a model for a rebuild then it is worth taking note that Jeff Luhnow was hired as GM  on December 7th.   Take the time needed to get it right is the correct approach IMO.

The circumstances of the Astros' bringing in guys for a rebuild were very different, but I would say that the Astros moved a whole lot faster than the Orioles are proceeding. 

The Cardinals won the 2011 World Series on October 28. Three weeks later, on November 18, 2011, MLB owners approved the sale of a controlling interest in the Astros from Drayton McLane to Jim Crane. The proposed sale had originally been agreed to back in May 2011, but there were doubts about the owners' approval and last minute-complications, resolved by a price reduction (partially made up by MLB) that Crane insisted on because of the move of the team to the AL West.

About a week after the sale to Crane was approved, the new ownership named George Postolos (who had worked with Crane on the purchase) to come in from outside the organization as the Astros' President and CEO.  About two weeks later two weeks (including Thanksgiving) later, at the winter meetings on December 7 or 8, 2011, the Astros announced the hire of Luhnow -- a v.p. with the Cardinals -- as GM. So Luhnow was hired less than three weeks after the new owners took over and five weeks after his team won the World Series. 

Like the Angeloses, Crane had time before the approval of his purchase of the club to think through, probably together with Postolos, who should be in charge of turning around the downtrodden Astros. Crane apparently used that time to consider candidates, acted decisively, and pretty much hit the ground running once he bought the team. I hope that John and Lou Angelos used the past few months in that way, but as far as I can tell they're still trying to figure out where the ground is. 

3 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

That's been absolutely true at times in the past . . . but with a different definition of "the litter." :bangwall:

Archived