Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah that needs to stop.  I can see letting ownership signing off on major acquisitions or setting a budget.

But there were reports that the Orioles lost out on utility players last season because ownership wanted to review the contract first.  Really you have to get ownership approval to sign a Ryan Flaherty?  

Bingo bango.  Yes.  

6 hours ago, waroriole said:

So Roch insisted that we are hiring the Pres first. He’s just a garbage reporter isn’t he?

If true, this is very encouraging. But I still wanna see how the rest of it shakes out. 

He said we would hire a top person and their title would be based on experience.  So they got an Assistant GM and promoted him to GM.  

56 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Not semantics when the Owners say one thing and do another. I don't care if they call him the Head Zookeeper. Just seems odd. Then again, it's the Orioles.

Not at all looking for an argument but what if we signed Elias and called him President and let him hire a GM? We didn't hire a GM before a President like you said. We hired a GM and we are letting him hire an assistant. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

“Houston, we have a problem!”   Obviously, everyone likes to move up the ladder, but these massive departures in Houston make me wonder whether there have been some personality issues there.   In addition to the people named, Mike Fast also left their analytics department.   

Probably they don't want to pay the guys.  The Astro's were the most profitable team in baseball when they were winning 50 games a season.  

4 hours ago, weams said:

How often do this many guys leave an organization prior to having other jobs?  Did Houston want a change or something?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them, but just curious if something happened or if they were ready to start over and prove it again.

2 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

How often do this many guys leave an organization prior to having other jobs?  Did Houston want a change or something?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them, but just curious if something happened or if they were ready to start over and prove it again.

Has he left his job, or just been given permission to talk to the O's?

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

I think it's the owners meetings.

Doesn’t the MASN hearing immediately follow the owners’ meetings?    I’d think that might occupy John and Lou quite a bit.   If it were my money, I’d be attending those hearings in person even if my lawyers were doing all the work.   

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

I hope he got a 4 to 5 year deal. It isn't going to be a quick turn around.

I imagine he intends to be here to see it through, otherwise he wouldn't have come on in the first place. It's his chance to make his mark and build a franchise up from ashes.

He's also originally from Northern VA, so this is a sort of coming home for him. It's possible (maybe even probable) that he grew up an O's fan.

57 minutes ago, atomic said:

He said we would hire a top person and their title would be based on experience.  So they got an Assistant GM and promoted him to GM.  

And we don’t know what the full title will be.    Every previous de facto GM since at least Beattie/Flanagan has held the title of Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, except for MacPhail who was President of Baseball Operations.   I assume Elias won’t merely be called GM.

Archived