Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

I am not sure a single executive around MLB could be considered a miracle worker …. but we are going to have a front office at the front end of analytics and, if you have read Astroball - which is an easy read BTW, will start making much more rational decisions - not selling Matusz WITH a draft pick kind of stupidity.

We are going to do a whole lot of things better.  IMO, we will have the type of singular focus on hording and developing prospects not seen since AM was here and probably not seen at all before that as far as I can remember.  And we will do it better than AM because we should have more scouts domestically and internationally and should invest our full allocation internationally.

My enthusiasm for the hire has as much to do with the process our new FO will follow as much as it is for guys we will hire.  If we follow that process, it may take three years, maybe four, maybe more, but we will be accumulating and valuing our prospects and mlb player assets better than has ever been done here in at least 20-25 years.  The sheer quality and depth of those prospects will eventually get to the majors and have no other option but to win our fair share of games.  You see what the Phillies and Braves have been doing, what the Padres and Rays do, what Houston and Milw have done - that's where we are headed.  We don't need a miracle worker to get there. 

Congratulations, you were able to provide your love for AM and your distain for Duquette in a post about Elias. That's talent! :D

Just now, TonySoprano said:

O.K., now that it's O-fficial, was all the anxiety and handwringing about the process worth it?   Big picture, does it make a difference that the decision and the announcement is now instead of 2-3 weeks ago?  #AskingForAFriend

Now we can start the anxiety about field manager, coaching staff, analytics dept, scouting, the draft, Brady's role, international signing, beer prices,etc.

3 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Executive VP, that ousts Brady from his current position, no?

Executive VP is John P.'s current title, so this would seam to leapfrog Brady (while consolidating GM duties) rather than ousting Brady per se. I would prefer to get rid of Brady entirely but OK with this solution.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/team/front-office

8 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

O.K., now that it's O-fficial, was all the anxiety and handwringing about the process worth it?   Big picture, does it make a difference that the decision and the announcement is now instead of 2-3 weeks ago?  #AskingForAFriend

Of course it does, Soprano.  Just think of all the wheeling and dealing and wining and dining that could have been done in the past two weeks.  Sheesh.  

13 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I would have like to have added Mike Fast.

Archived