Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think you bury Severino to just a platoon guy. I like seeing Sisco Dhing as well in order to give him ABs.

You also open yourself up to having the pitcher bat, if Severino gets nicked, and Sisco has to move to behind the plate.

o

Last night, Sisco had a chance to win the game with a home run in the bottom of the 9th, with the Orioles down by 2 runs and with 2 runners on base.

He struck out ........ cut him.

But in the event that the Orioles don't cut him, and if he happens to hit a walk-off home run at any time later this season, make him the first player ever to be immediately inducted in the Orioles Hall-of-Fame while still an active player.

o

Glad to see he doesn't look totally inept with the bat right now.  

I haven't seen all his at bats but it seems like he's going to the opposite field some.  I''m wondering if that's a product of design or if he simply can't get around on a fastball.  IIRC @Tony-OHhad some squabbles with his bat speed last year.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think you bury Severino to just a platoon guy. I like seeing Sisco Dhing as well in order to give him ABs.

As long as Sisco ends up with 350-ish plate appearances, I don't care if some come from the DH slot. That said, Severino is really outperforming his historical numbers and I don't think he is anything more than a solid backup catcher longterm.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, but you end up with a pitcher batting, and normally, you dont want to use your pitchers in that matter.

Of course, with this team, it really doesn't matter.

Personally, the odds are so low of that happening, it shouldn't really be a big consideration.   How many times a year does the catcher come out of the game because he got hurt?    Almost never.   If it happens, and the pitcher has to bat, big deal.   For one thing, you can always pinch hit for him.   

Back when he was a catcher, Joe Mauer had seasons where he DH'd 23 and 28 times.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You also open yourself up to having the pitcher bat, if Severino gets nicked, and Sisco has to move to behind the plate.

The chances of that happening is so minuscule that I'm not too worried about that. If you want to evaluate them both, give them both pretty regular at bats.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Glad to see he doesn't look totally inept with the bat right now.  

I haven't seen all his at bats but it seems like he's going to the opposite field some.  I''m wondering if that's a product of design or if he simply can't get around on a fastball.  IIRC @Tony-OHhad some squabbles with his bat speed last year.

I did and I still don't think he has great bat speed. His EV is still pretty low despite the good OPS so we shall see.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

The chances of that happening is so minuscule that I'm not too worried about that. If you want to evaluate them both, give them both pretty regular at bats.

Not sure if I would use the word minuscule.

Buck was asked about it, when Matt was coming back from TJ surgery about DHing to have his bat in the lineup. He rambled off incidents where Pitchers that season had got nicked up running the basepaths, so he said it you have to keep that in the back of your mind, if you are going to play both of your catchers.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure if I would use the word minuscule.

Buck was asked about it, when Matt was coming back from TJ surgery about DHing to have his bat in the lineup. He rambled off incidents where Pitchers that season had got nicked up running the basepaths, so he said it you have to keep that in the back of your mind, if you are going to play both of your catchers.

Buck worried a lot about certain particular things and a lot of them seemingly had to do with catching.  I'm not worried if they have to let a pitcher bat at some point this season.  Also pinch hitters are a thing.

50 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Severino is only 25 - while I’d prefer to see Chance every night, Severino is worth looking at ... until he proves otherwise. 

Severino hasn't shown at any time in the Majors or Minors prior to this season that he has the bat to be a starting MLB catcher. I think it is quite likely that the 80 at bat stretch from April 20th to June 4th will be the high point of his career.

34 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Severino hasn't shown at any time in the Majors or Minors prior to this season that he has the bat to be a starting MLB catcher. I think it is quite likely that the 80 at bat stretch from April 20th to June 4th will be the high point of his career.

I would probably take that bet. Based on the 0 minutes of research I’ve done I tend to believe that catchers bat’s take a little more time to develop. He is also getting regular ABs for the first time. Catcher is probably the one position on the team I’m most okay with right now.