Where would Richie Martin fit on the O's top 30?

wildcard

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d love to see the O’s pick up Martín. He wouldn’t necessarily need to hit much if he can be a highly skilled defensive SS. I think defense at SS and C should be the two main priorities going into the season. Obviously, we’re not going to hit so why not go all in trying to at least put together a team that can field.

He fits in as a Util right?  He had some better statistics last year at AA but looks overmatched when stepping up (which as a rule 5 pick he would do).  Scouting says he has a good eye but a long swing that produces little power.  I dont need power from a guy at SS who would be playing good defense but I dont see him filling any role that Grenier couldnt fill in another year.

With the first pick I am looking for bigger boom potential. 

54 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

With the first pick I am looking for bigger boom potential. 

I agree with this, with the simple caveat that it's possible some scouting types believe that Martin actually does have that boom potential. After all, he was a first round pick a few years ago, so there was a time that at least some scouts thought he had ML upside. He plays good D and has plus athleticism, so some tools are there. I just don't know if there's enough of a hitting tool to want to use this spot on him.

With that said, I am not looking to use the Rule V draft to fill a short term need inadequately to be a long term solution. In this case, that need is defense at SS. You could argue that he could meet a long term need as a utility player. That's not bad, but I'd still hope we target either an arm with upside or a bat with higher potential than Martin appears to have, based on what I read here.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I agree with this, with the simple caveat that it's possible some scouting types believe that Martin actually does have that boom potential. After all, he was a first round pick a few years ago, so there was a time that at least some scouts thought he had ML upside. He plays good D and has plus athleticism, so some tools are there. I just don't know if there's enough of a hitting tool to want to use this spot on him.

With that said, I am not looking to use the Rule V draft to fill a short term need inadequately to be a long term solution. In this case, that need is defense at SS. You could argue that he could meet a long term need as a utility player. That's not bad, but I'd still hope we target either an arm with upside or a bat with higher potential than Martin appears to have, based on what I read here.

Sure, but who is that and how often are these guys available in the Rule 5 draft? Martin has the potential to be an everyday shortstop if his bat can continue to develop. That's a pretty good upside. His defense is getting overlooked a bit by some. If it's as good as advertised, there is a value in having that guy out there and see if his bat develops. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ohhhh baby, Rule 5, here we come!

What if Elias doesn't select Richie Martin?  Will that be the first blow to the @wildcard /Elias bromance?  I'm sitting on the edge of my seat!

I have a sticky on my computer screen...it reads:  WWWSEWD

What would Wildcard say Elias will do.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin seems like an interesting pick for a team like the Orioles who has a need at SS. I've never seen him play, but if he really is a defense first SS, he would be an easier fit on a team that could use a good young defensive SS. Makes me wonder though, why would the A's not protect him but protect a guy like outfielder Sky Bolt (#30 Pipeline)?

Just looking at the stats and pedigree, I'm missing something here on either Martin or Bolt. Unless there is some hole to Martin's game that the Orioles don't think he can overcome (could be the bat still since he had a high BABIP and was in the Texas League), he seems like an easy rule 5 pick that should be able to make the club as the everyday SS or at least utility guy. 

His bat will probably be a negative next year, but if his defense is as good as advertised by several sources, then I think the O's nab him with the first overall pick. Will definitely be interesting to see who Elias picks though.

Oh, and I'd probably have Martin as #16 on our list unless I was convinced his bat will eventually play better. I haven't done a ton of homework on him so I would say it would be a preliminary ranking.

Interesting.  The A's have him as #12 in their farm system but he would be in the 20's for the O's farm system?   Is the O's farm system that much better than the A's farm system?

I think the caution with Martin is the two knee surgeries.  But, of course, Manny did have two knee surgeries.  And his improvement with the bat came after his 2nd knee surgery.

I think the A's have three other SS in their top 30.   That may be why they are willing to let Martin go.

Jorge Mateo has 80 speed  and a 60 arm at AAA. He is their #7 prospect.

Jeremy Eierman was in the New York Pen League  and is there #11 prospect.

Nick Allen is in A ball and is their #16 prospect.  He has 60 speed and a 60 arm.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Interesting.  The A's have him as #12 in their farm system but he would be in the 20's for the O's farm system?   Is the O's farm system that much better than the A's farm system?

The rankings I’ve seen put Oakland’s system well ahead of ours.    

Just now, wildcard said:

Than now does Martin fall from #12 in the A's system to in the 20's in the O's system?

I didn’t say he belonged in the 20’s, I said 12-15.    And I already gave you my limited basis for judgment.   I’m not going to compound my lack of knowledge by opining on whether I think Martin should have been ranked lower in Oakland’s system than the list you cited (and I’m not clear on whose list that was).

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t say he belonged in the 20’s, I said 12-15.    And I already gave you my limited basis for judgment.   I’m not going to compound my lack of knowledge by opining on whether I think Martin should have been ranked lower in Oakland’s system than the list you cited (and I’m not clear on whose list that was).

Tony said in the 20's.  I am just trying to understand why.

Archived