Orioles claim Austin Brice Designate Valera (Traded to Giants for CC)

jrobb21613

Just now, atomic said:

It is not uncommon for $1 cash consideration deals to happen. I am not sure why you are using this as an example to prove anything. 

How common is it?     We almost never learn what the cash considerations were.   I doubt it’s very common at all.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How common is it?     We almost never learn what the cash considerations were.   I doubt it’s very common at all.

Took me 2 seconds to find this. I have heard the 1 dollar several times over the last few years.  It is most often not announced.  

https://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/brad-mills-traded-for-one-dollar-from-brewers-to-athletics-061814

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Took me 2 seconds to find this. I have heard the 1 dollar several times over the last few years.  It is most often not announced.  

https://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/brad-mills-traded-for-one-dollar-from-brewers-to-athletics-061814

That article certainly didn’t make it sound as if it was “not uncommon.”    It said the deal gave “new meaning” to the term “cash considerations.”   Not that the author necessarily knows anything.   

Anyway, I’ll stand by original point. When a player is DFA, the team has 7 days to try to trade him before putting him on waivers.    This deal wouldn’t have happened in one day if all the Giants had offered was $1.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That article certainly didn’t make it sound as if it was “not uncommon.”    It said the deal gave “new meaning” to the term “cash considerations.”   Not that the author necessarily knows anything.   

Anyway, I’ll stand by original point. When a player is DFA, the team has 7 days to try to trade him before putting him on waivers.    This deal wouldn’t have happened in one day if all the Giants had offered was $1.    

You might be right about that but of course the Orioles could have polled other teams before the DFA assignment to see if anyone wanted him.  It would be nice if baseball published the figures. But like I have said I have read other deals were the figure was a dollar. 

Just now, atomic said:

You might be right about that but of course the Orioles could have polled other teams before the DFA assignment to see if anyone wanted him.  It would be nice if baseball published the figures. But like I have said I have read other deals were the figure was a dollar. 

Will Nieves also was traded for $1 in 2011.     

9 hours ago, atomic said:

It is not uncommon for $1 cash consideration deals to happen. I am not sure why you are using this as an example to prove anything. 

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.  And I have no idea how cash strapped the Orioles are. Maybe it was just enough to pay for the waiver claim. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.  And I have no idea how cash strapped the Orioles are. Maybe it was just enough to pay for the waiver claim

If you think that the Orioles are so cash strapped that they little amount of money they could have gotten for Valera would make a difference than bankruptcy could be an issue. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

If you think that the Orioles are so cash strapped that they little amount of money they could have gotten for Valera would make a difference than bankruptcy could be an issue. 

I think that reconstruction of the debt (less MLB payroll) going forward makes that a non-issue unless a ruling comes down drastically against the MASN. They may well be looking at things as PAYGO for a while. As a smart club would. The Valeras of the world are not going to fix this club. 

23 hours ago, foxfield said:

I love the passion.  The Orioles have maybe the worst 40 man roster int he game and we are still intensely debating the merits of positions 37-40.

God I love this place!

Always teetering on the line of dedicated and psychotic we are!

Archived