Spring Training Observations and Photos/Video Thread

wildcard

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, scOtt said:

Nice hat! Grey and white old bird hat.

Mike%20Elias%20-%201st%20day%201st%20ST%

It looks like a non-descript hat that they put on Free Agents on like Rotoworld. Maybe he’s trying to be confused as the Baltimore Ravens GM. Haha. 

Is there visual evidence of Luis Ortiz’s weight loss? I don’t believe until I see an Instagram before and after. 

21 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Average range with good glove/hand action.

*I’ll have to amend that first statement, but 2B still makes more sense than 3B.

Mountcastle has a well-below-average arm, so third base is unlikely to work out any better than shortstop did, despite adequate instincts and hands for the hot corner. It’s possible Mountcastle could handle second, but he could grow off the keystone as well, making left field or even first base a more likely long-term defensive home. That puts significant pressure on the bat to play to projection.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/43612/2019-prospects-baltimore-orioles-top-10-prospects/

More from Ryan on his 3B progress (via Melewski):

"But of course, since any interview with Mountcastle, it seems, must start or eventually lead to his defense, which scouts rate below average, this one did, too. Moved to third base from short when he was promoted to Bowie in 2017, a reporter asked him how many gloves he is bringing to Florida next month.

“I mean, I’ve got my third base glove and that’s what I’m using right now. Whatever they want to do with me. I want to play third base and think I can produce there,” he said, adding he felt he had improved at third in several areas last season.

“Honestly, just everything. Mentally, physically. My footwork, I felt like, got a lot better because I had only played third about a month and half the year before. Just getting more comfortable with the throws and all the footwork and I feel a lot better over there right now.”

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/after-strong-double-a-year-ryan-mountcastle-is-closer-to-the-majors.html

Ryan-Mountcastle-throwing-orange-sidebar

Versus Drew Jackson

Drew-Jackson1.jpeg

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It looks like a non-descript hat that they put on Free Agents on like Rotoworld. Maybe he’s trying to be confused as the Baltimore Ravens GM. Haha. 

Is there visual evidence of Luis Ortiz’s weight loss? I don’t believe until I see an Instagram before and after. 

Would be nice if he did lose 25 lbs. Many have stated that's a component to what may hold him back. And 25 lbs isn't nothing. 

8 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Would be nice if he did lose 25 lbs. Many have stated that's a component to what may hold him back. And 25 lbs isn't nothing. 

On him 25 lbs. isn't much maybe. I've lost 50 lbs. a couple times in my life and it makes a BIG difference. You feel stronger, lighter, more nimble, just more peppy. Even at 25 of that you feel it. 25lbs. is a good start. He just needs to keep it up. Stay away from late night double cheeseburgers or Taco Bell runs.

Archived