Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like Joe but how do you add Mahoney to this list?

Seven years in the minors 67 HR, 57 SB.

Baseball reference play index, height > 72", weight > 230, bats left.  Then just pick out the ones who fit the narrative.  Certainly wasn't all inclusive.  Missed (intentionally or not) guys like Luke Easter, Pedro Alvarez, Nick Johnson, Hee-Seop Choi, Bob Hamelin, Ryan Howard.

As for me,  I'm not going to continue to kick someone who is this far down.  If you think these guys don't internalize failure like this, remember why  Mike Flanagan died.   I like what Curt Schilling said yesterday, "Every single person in your life is a hitting coach."  In other words, everybody he runs into outside of the ballpark is offering him unsolicited advice about how to fix this.   Guys who played the game get this and none of them is offering anything but sympathy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Is there any MLB rule regarding how many pitches or batters faced a player has to qualify as a "pitcher"?   Say he swapped places with the starter for few pitches (and the starter goes to 1B).  Could we then let the pitcher hit and use the DH on Davis? 

4 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Is there any MLB rule regarding how many pitches or batters faced a player has to qualify as a "pitcher"?   Say he swapped places with the starter for few pitches (and the starter goes to 1B).  Could we then let the pitcher hit and use the DH on Davis? 

The rule doesn't work that way.  You can only be the DH for the pitcher.  If the DH takes the mound you lose the DH for the game and the pitcher has to bat.  If the DH takes the field in any position, you lose the DH for the game and the pitcher has to bat.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The rule doesn't work that way.  You can only be the DH for the pitcher.  If the DH takes the mound you lose the DH for the game and the pitcher has to bat.  If the DH takes the field in any position, you lose the DH for the game and the pitcher has to bat.

The DH wouldn't be taking the field though.  It would be Davis swapping places with the pitcher. 

2 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

The DH wouldn't be taking the field though.  It would be Davis swapping places with the pitcher. 

Rule 6.10 (8) Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a position on defense, such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that club for the remainder of the game.

Heck, here's the whole thing:

6.10 Any League may elect to use Rule 6.10(b), which shall be called the Designated
Hitter Rule.

(a) In the event of inter-league competition between clubs of leagues using the
Designated Hitter Rule and clubs of leagues not using the Designated Hitter Rule,
the rule will be used as follows:

(1) In World Series or exhibition games, the rule will be used or not used as is the
practice of the league of the home team.

(2) In All-Star games, the rule will only be used if both teams and both Leagues
so agree.

(b) The Designated Hitter Rule provides as follows:

(1) A hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent
pitchers in any game without otherwise affecting the status of the pitcher(s) in
the game. A Designated Hitter for the pitcher, if any, must be selected prior to
the game and must be included in the lineup cards presented to the Umpire-in-Chief.
If a manager lists 10 players in his team’s lineup card, but fails to indicate
one as the Designated Hitter, and an umpire or either manager (or
designee of either manager who presents his team’s lineup card) notices the
error before the umpire-in-chief calls “Play” to start the game, the umpire-inchief
shall direct the manager who had made the omission to designate which
of the nine players, other than the pitcher, will be the Designated Hitter.

Rule 6.10(b)(1) Comment: A correction of a failure to indicate a Designated Hitter when 10
players are listed in a batting order is an “obvious” error that may be corrected before a game starts.
See Rule 4.01 Comment.

(2) The Designated Hitter named in the starting lineup must come to bat at least
one time, unless the opposing club changes pitchers.

(3) It is not mandatory that a club designate a hitter for the pitcher, but failure to
do so prior to the game precludes the use of a Designated Hitter for that club
for that game.

(4) Pinch-hitters for a Designated Hitter may be used. Any substitute hitter for a
Designated Hitter becomes the Designated Hitter. A replaced Designated
Hitter shall not re-enter the game in any capacity.

(5) The Designated Hitter may be used on defense, continuing to bat in the same
position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the
substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and
the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order.

(6) A runner may be substituted for the Designated Hitter and the runner assumes
the role of Designated Hitter. A Designated Hitter may not pinch-run.

(7) A Designated Hitter is “locked” into the batting order. No multiple substitutions
may be made that will alter the batting rotation of the Designated Hitter.

(8) Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a position on defense,
such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that club for the
remainder of the game.

(9) Once a pinch-hitter bats for any player in the batting order and then enters the
game to pitch, such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that
club for the remainder of the game.

(10) Once the game pitcher bats for the Designated Hitter, such move shall terminate
the Designated Hitter role for that club for the remainder of the game.
The game pitcher may pinch-hit only for the Designated Hitter.

(11) If a manager lists 10 players in his team’s lineup card, but fails to indicate one
as the Designated Hitter, and the opposing manager brings the failure to list a
Designated Hitter to the attention of the umpire-in-chief after the game starts,
then
i(i) the pitcher will be required to bat in the batting order in the place of the
listed player who has not assumed a position on defense, if the team has
taken the field on defense, or
(ii) if the team has not yet taken the field on defense, the pitcher will be
placed in the batting order in place of any player, as chosen by the manager
of that team.
In either case, the player whom the pitcher replaces in the batting order shall
be considered to have been substituted for and is removed from the game and
the Designated Hitter role for that club shall be terminated for the remainder
of the game. Any play that occurred before the violation is brought to the
attention of the umpire-in-chief shall count, subject to Rule 6.07 (Batting Out
of Turn).

(12) Once a Designated Hitter assumes a position on defense, such move shall terminate
the Designated Hitter role for that club for the remainder of the game.

(13) A substitute for the Designated Hitter need not be announced until it is the
Designated Hitter’s turn to bat.

(14) If a player on defense goes to the mound (i.e., replaces the pitcher), this move
shall terminate the Designated Hitter’s role for that club for the remainder of
the game.

(15) The Designated Hitter may not sit in the bullpen unless serving as a catcher in
the bullpen.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Rule 6.10 (8) Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a position on defense, such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that club for the remainder of the game.

Ok,  I figured that loophole was probably closed.   Not that anyone would have tried it.

I wonder if the pitchers are starting to feel the “pressure” when facing Davis?  After all, who wants to go down in baseball history as the pitcher who stopped the ongoing record for hitless plate appearances?  The drama will only build the more this continues.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yeoledugger said:

I wonder if the pitchers are starting to feel the “pressure” when facing Davis?  After all, who wants to go down in baseball history as the pitcher who stopped the ongoing record for hitless plate appearances?  The drama will only build the more this continues.

The 3 balls he put in play last night were all line drives. Just right at the OF's, so he will eventually get one to fall in. The problem is he still K's in roughly half his AB's, when anything over 30% is considered too high to sustain a batting average. 

10 minutes ago, yeoledugger said:

Nope. Pitchers usually don't pay more attention to the worst hitter in major league history.  No one is going to remember the guy who finally gave up a hit to Davis.  

45 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

As for me,  I'm not going to continue to kick someone who is this far down.  If you think these guys don't internalize failure like this, remember why  Mike Flanagan died.   I like what Curt Schilling said yesterday, "Every single person in your life is a hitting coach."  In other words, everybody he runs into outside of the ballpark is offering him unsolicited advice about how to fix this.   Guys who played the game get this and none of them is offering anything but sympathy

Exactly if you have an issue with Davis being on the team direct it to the owners.  Davis isn't going to give up 80 million dollars and at this point just wish him the best as he is going to be here for 3 more years after this one.