Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Brooks Robinson.

Outstanding!  When Reggie Jackson said "If I played in New York, they'd name a candy bar after me." Gordon Beard, the Associated Press sports writer replied "Around here, nobody's named a candy bar after Brooks Robinson.  We name our children after him."

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That explains today guys, but in the past, there was too many Ty Cobbs, Pete Rose, Jose Casenco, Billy Martin, Manny Ramirez, A-Rod.

Give it a break.  Plenty of great players who weren't a-holes.  Most of the stuff about Cobb was made up anyway.  

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

That explains today guys, but in the past, there was too many Ty Cobbs, Pete Rose, Jose Casenco, Billy Martin, Manny Ramirez, A-Rod.

People were getting their pictures on baseball cards in the 1880s.  Babe Ruth made more than the President.  They got plenty of fawning attention and money.  Joe Kelley used to keep a mirror in his back pocket when he was playing the outfield for the 1890s Orioles to make sure his hair looked good for his female fans.

And Canseco, Ramirez and A-Rod came to the majors like a week ago Thursday.

7 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Good point. Name me a great player who was always well liked by coaches and fellow players. The great ones always have an edge to them that rubs others wrong.  Not just in sports...just part of their make up. 

(Going from memory as to who's not on other lists. Sorry for any repeats.)

Stan Musial
Robin Roberts
Willie Mays
Bob Feller
Walter Johnson
Christy Mathewson
Willie McCovey
Yogi Berra
Willie Stargell (if you're not an Orioles fan)
Roberto Clemente (ditto)

2 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

Jeter?  The guy who refused to move to 2nd base so the best player in the game could play his normal position?

He seems to pretty universally liked though.  People on here used to say I hate all the Yankees except Jeter.  

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

He seems to pretty universally liked though.  People on here used to say I hate all the Yankees except Jeter.  

Really? I especially didn’t like him. Not only for what @MongoBoy noted, but more so for the undeserved GG awards he kept winning.

I did like Thurman Munson, though.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Really ??? I especially didnt like him. Not only for what @MongoBoy noted, but more so for the undeserved GG awards he kept winning.

I did like Thurman Munson, though.

o

Reggie Jackson and Thurman Munson had had one major falling out, shortly after he arrived with the Yankees early in the 1977 season. That had long been water under the bridge by the time that Munson had died in August of 1979, and to me, that says a lot about Munson.

Jackson had made  comments to the press in regard to asserting that it was he and not long-tenured Yankee Thurman Munson that "stirred the drink" for the Yankees early in the 1977 season. That was viewed by Munson (and many others) as insensitive and selfish (and foolish, considering how well-liked Munson was by the Yankees' players and fans at-large at the time.) Fortunately for the Yankees, Munson was such a team player that he actually WENT TO BAT FOR JACKSON with one of his teammates (Lou Piniella) to try to persuade both owner George Steinbrenner and manager Billy Martin to reinstate Jackson to the clean-up spot in the order, as opposed to the 5-spot later in that same (1977) season. 

On a team that was known as "The Bronx Zoo" because of all of the turmoil that existed both on and off of the field (mostly off) between the players, the managers, and team owner George Steinbrenner, I believe that the tragedy of Munson's death in August of 1979 usurped all of that commotion and upheaval. 

o

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

(Going from memory as to who's not on other lists. Sorry for any repeats.)

Stan Musial
Robin Roberts
Willie Mays
Bob Feller
Walter Johnson
Christy Mathewson
Willie McCovey
Yogi Berra
Willie Stargell (if you're not an Orioles fan)
Roberto Clemente (ditto)

What about that incorrigible bad boy Henry Aaron?  I heard he might have use a greenie once or twice.  And that selfish, me-first attitude?  Don't get me started...

14 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Good point. Name me a great player who was always well liked by coaches and fellow players. The great ones always have an edge to them that rubs others wrong.  Not just in sports...just part of their make up. 

Well, Brooks...

14 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Last 10 coming into tonight 

3 HR

9 RBI

I wonder how that compares with the good period he had before lapsing into the big 0-fer last season.

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

I wonder how that compares with the good period he had before lapsing into the big 0-fer last season.

This stretch is much better.    In 12 games last year, Davis hit .319/.373/.404, before ending the season in a 1 for 37 slump.   He’s now at .343/.378/.686 in his current stretch.    3 doubles, 3 homers and 11 RBI in this year’s hot stretch compared to 1, 1 and 8 last year.   

All that said, I’d need to see him hit well for two months before thinking anything might have fundamentally changed, rather than it being a momentary blip.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1